Speed Limit Based on download priority

Want something added? Ask for it here.
SpankIt

Speed Limit Based on download priority

Post by SpankIt »

Hi there,
As a user of a Canadian ISP (Shaw Cable) who has decided to move to the dark side, start enforcing the monthly bandwidth limits and will soon start to charge for additional data usage. I have been forced to rethink how I do things. A feature that would be very helpful would be one that would allow me to automatically limit the download speed depending on priority of the download. This way I can easily calculate how fast I can download 24/7 while still staying within my limits and downloading more important things (my regular downloads) at maximum speed.

Thanks,

For those of you interested in discussing the service providers making this change in the new year I have started the following thread: http://forums.sabnzbd.org/index.php?topic=5638.0
Last edited by SpankIt on December 1st, 2010, 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
krwren

Re: Speed Limit Based on download priority

Post by krwren »

I was just about to request this feature when I found you already had.  I have a comcast business account so I don't have to worry about the bandwith cap, it's just I don't want it junk up my bandwith most of the times, but there are a few file I don't care and I could just set them High and know it would slow back down when they finished.
nutsy

Post by nutsy »

I also was just about to suggest something similar..

I'm looking to either bypass speed limit for high priority items, or auto resume-pause. I'm currently scheduling pausing during the day, but it would be nice to be able to automatically bypass this for high priorty items.

Would be just as happy to set a low speed limit during the day that gets bypassed for high priority items.
nutsy

Post by nutsy »

I've just noticed that setting priority to forced does in fact bypass the pause, so the feature i need is already there! :)
krwren

Post by krwren »

What I want is to say

Force = Unlimited
High = 1MB/s
Normal = 300KB/s
Low = 100KB/s

and of course the schedule will set the max of any of the levels
young-einstein

Post by young-einstein »

This feature is something that I'd find handy as well.

At the very least, I'd just like it that the 'force' priority overrides / ignores any speed limit that's currently in place.

However, I can also understand that not everyone might want it to work that way though, so ideally I'd just like to see it as an option [probably on the switches > queue section]

IE - Just a check box which says something along the lines of "Force priority overrides speedlimit" and then that way people can very easily choose whether they'd like to use the feature or not.

Seems like it would be a good idea to me! ;)