Worth to donate?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
opentoe

Worth to donate?

Post by opentoe »

I'm fairly a new user and have been liking the software. I have donated to AltBinz software which I think is fantastic. From the experts here, is this software worth a donation? All I do with it is just watch a watchfolder and pick up and NZB's I throw or save in there. Seems to download fine.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Worth to donate?

Post by shypike »

Unlike Alt.Binz, donations for SABnzbd are entirely voluntary.
A donation is a way of saying "Thank you, please continue developing the program".
First use SABnzbd seriously for some time and then decide whether
you like it so much that you want to donate.

Alt.binz is a commercial operation, SABnzbd is a classic Free Open Source Software project.
arto65

Post by arto65 »

I am too an Alt.binz donator which I think is an incredible tool.
But since I discovered Sabnzbd, I almost never use AB anymore. I think Sabnzbd is better 90% of the time (I'm only missing the integrated search engines and the video streaming functionality).
Why?
It sorts my downloads automatically (Tv shows in a TV folder, sorted by season...)
I find the extraction feature to be much more reliable (I had to reprocess a lot of downloads manually with Alt.binz)
It runs on every platform (even NAS)
I can control it from wherever I want (MyNZB on iPhone, SABCommand on iPad...)

If you happen to watch a lot of movies and TV shows, I suggest you use it with XBMC: Sabnzbd is going to neatly sort your library, and XBMC will just pick it up and download all the covers and info automatically.

So, I think Sabnzbd is well worth a donation. As Shypike said, no one is pushing and you won't get new features from a donation. But you'll get the satisfaction of contributing to one of the greatest programs ever ! ;-)
If you want to get more advice on how to take advantage of Sabnzbd, I'd be happy to help you.
ssansemari

Post by ssansemari »

I'm also using it and I think you could make a difference by donating...
rascalli

Post by rascalli »

Of course it is worth a donation ...

imho when an app is open source & if you like it ... I always donate .. as people put a lot of time in it .. and this is the way for me to tell them I appreciate it