ISP implementing caps, will SSL help me?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
bluenote

ISP implementing caps, will SSL help me?

Post by bluenote »

Hey guys

My ISP is toughening up their bandwidth caps, and I'm under the impression if you use SSL
the traffic is compressed, whereas without it is not compressed?

But in the real world, how much difference would it make?  My sabnzbd reports ~ 300 gb this month so far
and I think thats actually a lower figure because the I think I went to 0.6.x a little bit into the month.

I'm trying to gauge the difference because my local ISP news server is not SSL, but if its taking a lot more traffic then it would cost me more money in different rate plan or overages vs converting fully to SSL paid provider, but then maybe I still get too high a usage level..

thanks
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Re: ISP implementing caps, will SSL help me?

Post by shypike »

SSL won't help to deal with caps.
Bytes are bytes and your ISP won't have a problem counting them,
encrypted or not.
It *might* help avoid traffic shaping, but that another problem.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

bluenote wrote:   My sabnzbd reports ~ 300 gb this month so far
Wow! 300GB?! What kind of content is that? It could be 60 DVDs, or 20 blurays. Do you have the time to watch that?

To answer your question: SSL will encrypt the traffic, it will *not* compress the traffic. The number of bytes will be the same. That's why Shypike says "bytes are bytes".

If you want less traffic, look for more compressed content (if possible; most content is already compressed at it's max). Or download less. Or use your neighbour's wifi connection. ;-)
Please don't send me unrequested PM's; the forum is the best way to communicate.
If someone helps you, please reply to that help.
f you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

bluenote wrote: My sabnzbd reports ~ 300 gb this month so far
and I think thats actually a lower figure because the I think I went to 0.6.x a little bit into the month.
The 0.5.x series did not keep independent counters, it relied on the history database.
When upgrading to 0.6.x, SABnzbd will fill initial counters with the numbers from the database.
After that the counters are independent of the database.
So it's true that the numbers for the first month aren't realistic.
bluenote

Post by bluenote »

shypike wrote: SSL won't help to deal with caps.
Bytes are bytes and your ISP won't have a problem counting them,
encrypted or not.
It *might* help avoid traffic shaping, but that another problem.
I wasn't hoping to "hide" bytes, but rather, I thought that usenet used 7 bit text encoding,
and that that might lend itself to being compressed, but now I'm not even sure that SSL does
compress by default, and who knows maybe usenet encoding has improved since the last time
I knew anything at all about it which was quite a few years ago...

As another example I guess we don't download a lot of headers using NZB's, but probably those could be compressed quite a lot ...

In the end though, since its mostly video compressed content anyways which wont be able to be compressed further, I guess we'd only be talking about a few percentage points because of inefficiencies in headers or the encoding, etcetera.
bluenote

Post by bluenote »

sander wrote:
bluenote wrote:   My sabnzbd reports ~ 300 gb this month so far
Wow! 300GB?! What kind of content is that? It could be 60 DVDs, or 20 blurays. Do you have the time to watch that?

To answer your question: SSL will encrypt the traffic, it will *not* compress the traffic. The number of bytes will be the same. That's why Shypike says "bytes are bytes".

If you want less traffic, look for more compressed content (if possible; most content is already compressed at it's max). Or download less. Or use your neighbour's wifi connection. ;-)
It's all HD content, to begin with, and no I don't get to it all :)  I'm also kind of in the situation of "back filling" old series I want to have in HD, like LOST for example I never watched when it was popular but now I want to in HD.
I have a tenant who has netflix on top of that, plus I use my connection for work which involves quite a bit of media going back and forth, so you can imagine how much my ISP wants to start charging me $.xx or $x.xx per GB over...
war59312

Post by war59312 »

Not that much really.

I downloaded 1.3TB just on Usenet for June 2011. And that's a lite month.

PS: Not trying to brag OK just trying to say it's not that much. That's it.