Using Ecomode, Flatrate with sabnzbd

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
daniels

Using Ecomode, Flatrate with sabnzbd

Post by daniels »

Hi

I have an account by usenet and
- 35 GB Highspeed
- 600 GB Flatrate

How is it possible to choise the mode (Powermode or Ecomode) in sabnzbd? After I used the 35 GB highspeed, I can't login any more.

Can anybody help me?
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Using Ecomode, Flatrate with sabnzbd

Post by shypike »

It would help if you explained what these "modes" are about.
What's "an account by usenet" ?
daniels

Post by daniels »

Thank you for your response. I try to explain it better.

I have an account by 'usenet.nl'. In their package there have two different modes (Speed option).
High-speed volume/month (Unlimited Speed) 35 GB and after
Flatrate volume/month (Speed: up to 2000 kbit/s) 600 GB

Provider as 'usenext.de' or 'firstload.com' have also a Flatrate option.

Do you see a possibility to choose the mode in sabnzdd?
Or do you think that if I reduce the speed to 2000 kbit/s they count it for the Flatrate?

Any ideas?
inpheaux
Administrator
Administrator

Post by inpheaux »

daniels wrote:Do you see a possibility to choose the mode in sabnzdd?
Or do you think that if I reduce the speed to 2000 kbit/s they count it for the Flatrate?
Their pricing is super confusing. They only have two pricing plans, based on how frequently you pay. It looks like they might have tiered speed stuff. So it'll download 35GB as fast as possible, and then after that cap you at 2 Mbit for the remaining 600GB.

Honestly, this sounds like a crappy deal any way you cut it. Supernews has a €6.99/mo plan that is straight unlimited. Unlimited speed, unlimited bandwidth, unlimited everything. Plus they've got over 1000 days of retention, which is likely better than usenet.nl, since usenet.nl isn't even claiming a retention amount.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

Or use http://www.lightningusenet.com/ : unlimited volume, 50 Mbps, 431 days retention ... for only 4 Euro per month ... without any contract (or 'plan' or other annoying stuff)
daniels

Post by daniels »

Thank you all for your help!
lutze

Post by lutze »

so for people like me who still have a 5month usenet.nl contract left and cannot change the provider before: Is it possible to work with SABNZBD in Eco / Powermode of usenet.nl or will everything be counted as powermode until it is depleted and then continue in ecomode?
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

Is Eco mode limited to 2MByte/sec?
If so just set SABnzbd's bandwidth limiter to 2000 KByte/sec in Config->General.
If you want to use additional servers, this won't work.
pmow
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by pmow »

lutze wrote:so for people like me who still have a 5month usenet.nl contract left and cannot change the provider before: Is it possible to work with SABNZBD in Eco / Powermode of usenet.nl or will everything be counted as powermode until it is depleted and then continue in ecomode?
You can certainly change providers. If you want to recover your 5 months of service left over, you can always use as a backup server. The point is, you purchased a service which is capped at 2Mbps. If your internet connection is significantly faster, you'll want to stop wasting your money and go with a recommended company (Supernews, Astraweb, etc)
lutze

Post by lutze »

well my internet connection is 25000kbit so it is significantly faster. well until I finally bought my NAS and set it up with sabnzbd a little time went by and now i have only one month left in the usenet.nl contract and then I go for a provider with unlimited data volume so no more "eco mode". well since lightningusenet is temporarily down this option is gone but i found a provider that seems to have good speeds and unlimited volume for 10$ per month which is less than the 8,33euro that I pay in my current contract.

for anyone who wants to know: with usenet.nl and sabnzbd it is not just, that you cannot switch between powermode and ecomode. the more important thing is: sabnzbd loads those 35GB with full speed and then stops downloading at all instead of downloading with 2mbit in ecomode. i thought it automatically goes on downloading in 2mbit but it seems as only the usenet.nl client can handle this ecomode thing. also restricting the sabnzbd speed to 2mbit doesnt change anything. but i dont really care because i get a new contract next month anyway.
pmow
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by pmow »

The folks over in #sabnzbd recommend Supernews and Astraweb. If you're looking for a provider at the $10 price, they are the best two for many reasons. Supernews allows up to 2 IPs per account (currently). As always, a backup server is recommended. I use Blocknews for that.