Sabnzbd on Unraid, Download speed keeps dropping to zero every 5 seconds

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
war59312

Re: Sabnzbd on Unraid, Download speed keeps dropping to zero

Post by war59312 »

Only using 300MB of my 8GB at the moment. That's idle though.

But good sign, no sign of memory leak. Seeing as it has not been rebooted in two + weeks.

It would be a huge number by now if their where any decent memory leak.

And this is on Ubuntu 11.04 Server.
opentoe

Post by opentoe »

I use SABNZBD and write to my unRAID server pretty much a stable 6MB/sec. The thing is I don't run SABNZBD on the unRAID box, it runs on a dedicated Windows computer and just writes to my unRAID box. I would disable SAB on your unRAID box and install it on a Windows computer, download to your unRAID and see if the speed is consistent or not.
vinister

Post by vinister »

opentoe while that option works for you, for me it defeats the point of having the server in the first place. If my pc is going to stay on 24/7 anyways and be downloading and decompressing downloads constantly, then I might as well put the hard drives inside it and do away with the server completely. For me (and many) the whole point of an unraid server is that you can turn off all your other computers, and the server quietly downloads and manages your media collection, ready for your next use.

My speeds are now rock-stable, but only for very new files. Anything over 100 days, its pretty much always missing articles, and the job gets stuck. Memory usage goes high, and it stays stuck for several hours. Eventually it goes to 'failed' status. If I disable 'only get jobs from top', then the rest of the queue keeps going. Eventually, you get a few files in 'stuck' mode, memory useage is max. If downloads do complete, they fail because lack of memory.

I'm using astraweb and usenetserver. Does everyone get these missing articles? How many days is the reliable limit?
opentoe

Post by opentoe »

vinister wrote:opentoe while that option works for you, for me it defeats the point of having the server in the first place. If my pc is going to stay on 24/7 anyways and be downloading and decompressing downloads constantly, then I might as well put the hard drives inside it and do away with the server completely. For me (and many) the whole point of an unraid server is that you can turn off all your other computers, and the server quietly downloads and manages your media collection, ready for your next use.

My speeds are now rock-stable, but only for very new files. Anything over 100 days, its pretty much always missing articles, and the job gets stuck. Memory usage goes high, and it stays stuck for several hours. Eventually it goes to 'failed' status. If I disable 'only get jobs from top', then the rest of the queue keeps going. Eventually, you get a few files in 'stuck' mode, memory useage is max. If downloads do complete, they fail because lack of memory.

I'm using astraweb and usenetserver. Does everyone get these missing articles? How many days is the reliable limit?

I wasn't suggesting to permanently install SAB on your Windows computer, but to do that for just TESTING purposes. I have over 18TB in my unraid server and know exactly what it is supposed to be used for. I built my unraid server not to process or run programs but to keep my data safer than on a regular system with no parity. Sorry, I can't comment on those usenet servers. I've only and always used Giganews and Supernews.
vinister

Post by vinister »

yeah, I've had a windows setup, I know that it works. But that doesn't really help us much, we all know windows setups work well. Its Linux setups that have problems. So I'm not sure why you'd want me to prove that something works, when we all know it works.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

vinister wrote:Anything over 100 days, its pretty much always missing articles, and the job gets stuck.
There nothing in SABnzbd that will let article age affect speed.
This is caused by your Usenet provider.
There's just one exception: if you fill in a retention limit (of say 100 days), SABnzbd will not
ask the server for the articles if they're older than 100 days.
So either use the correct retention limit or none at all.
vinister

Post by vinister »

HA!

bingo. Shypike you always know the answer! This might be the best supported software I've ever used.

I had my retention limits set to 400 days on both servers, not sure why, should have RTFM.

thank you!
rudder2

Post by rudder2 »

shypike wrote:Set an article cache in Config->General.
-1 for "unlimited" memory, which is about 1.5 times the largest file you'll be downloading.
SABnzbd is also rather CPU hungry, so it matters what your Unraid has.
I did this on my monster unRAID setup and now my Inet downloads at Max to server. When I say monster unRAID server, I Transcode a lot, I built a Core i7-4770K with an ASRock Mother board that has 10 on-board SATA ports with 16 Gig of ram. Glad I did over spec it Plex and SABnzbd running togeather runs at same speed as it does on my Ubuntu system even when Transcoding to 4 devices at the same time!