MovieGrabber - Completely Automated Movie Downloader

Got a program that plays well with SABnzbd? Share it here!
binhex

MovieGrabber - Completely Automated Movie Downloader

Post by binhex »

Description
MovieGrabber is a fully automated way of downloading movie from usenet, it supports any nzb client that has a "watched" or "monitor" folder facility such as Sabnzbd+, Grabit and Newsbin. MovieGrabber works by checking imdb for matching criteria and if a match is found the nzb will be downloaded and stored in either a specified queued folder for user review or sent to the watched folder for processing and automatic downloading via your usenet binary client.

MovieGrabber currently has the following features:-

IMDb Checks
imdb rating
imdb votes
imdb genres
imdb year
imdb actors
imdb directors
imdb writers
imdb characters
imdb titles

Index Site
min/max post size
filtering by format/resolution etc

System Checks
movie already downloaded
replace existing movie
nzb already in watched/nzb/completed folders

FAQ
Q1. What index sites does MovieGrabber support?.

A1. MovieGrabber supports all newznab index based sites (e.g. nzb.su), this also includes locally run versions of newznab as well as torrent index site Kickass Torrents (http://kickass.to)

Q2. What is the difference between MovieGrabber and CouchPotato?.

A2. CouchPotato requires a user to input the movies he/she wishes to match on, CouchPotato then does a search for the title and if found then it will download it. MovieGrabber works differently by downloading movies depending on imdb criteria inputted by the user, this has the added benefit of automatically downloading movies without the need to keep adding in movie titles manually, instead movies will be
downloaded based on rating/votes/genre/character/actor/director etc.

Q3. How do i run MovieGrabber on Windows?.

A3. Download the binary zip file and simply unzip to any location you want (including removal media), MovieGrabber does NOT require any sort of installation as it does not need to copy any dll's or create registry entries within windows. Once unzipped simply run the executable which should be in the root of the folder you unzipped, this should then fire up your default browser and load the default MovieGrabber homepage (default is http://127.0.0.1:9191)

Q4. How do i run MovieGrabber on Linux/Mac?.

A4. In order to run MovieGrabber on Linux you will require Python 2.7.x installed on your system. Once you have Python installed simply download the source zip and unzip to any location you want (including removal media). Once unzipped run the main script in the root folder called "MovieGrabber.py", this should then fire up your default browser and load the default MovieGrabber homepage (default is http://127.0.0.1:9191)

Q5. I've downloaded MovieGrabber run the executable and can now see the web home screen, what do i do now?.

A5. In order for MovieGrabber to start processing posts you will need to configure certain sections, the following are the minimum required for MovieGrabber
to start processing:-

Go to "Configuration" and then select the sub menu item "Folders" fill in the folders for the following sections:-

Watched Folder, NZB Folder, Completed Folder

Note:- UNC paths are NOT currently supported, please make sure you map to a drive letter.

Click on Save.

Go to "Configuration" and then select the sub menu item "Website" select the index site you will be using from the dropdown menu then fill in the details for the index site you selected.

Click on Save.

Once you have completed the above click on "Home" and then the "Run now" link or wait for the schedule to start (default is 1 hour). Click on "History" and select "View history" to see movies currently being processed, if queued is enabled and there is a positive match then you may also see movies listed in the "Queue\Release Queue".

Q6. How can i get MovieGrabber to search for a particular title?.

A6. MovieGrabber does not do historical searching for movie titles, instead it will process the current posts only (and any future posts), each index site is different so the number of posts initially processed will vary. If you wish to download movies that have already been posted then i would recommend using CouchPotato, once your collection is up to date you could then switch to MovieGrabber if required.

Q7. What is the Queued feature used for?.

A7. Due to the automatic nature of MovieGrabber it maybe necessary at times to check what nzb's are downloaded before actually sending the nzb to sabnzbd for processing, this is especially true for certain movie genres or perhaps older movies that you are not sure you always want to download. The queued feature is simply a folder to store nzbs that match the queued critera for review by the user which is NOT watched by sabnzbd. If a user decides that he does want to download the queued nzb then he can simply do this by releasing the nzb via the webgui which will then send it to the watched folder.

Q8. What is the Preferred feature used for?.

A8. This is simply to allow the user to reduce the required imdb rating for genres the user particularly likes, for instance if your a sci-fi fan perhaps you want to allow movies with a slightly lower rating to download whilst still maintaining a higher rating for other genres.

Q9. How does the Favorites feature work?.

A9. Enabling and entering favorites allows you to override any other defined criteria, so for instance entering in a favorite character of "neo" would mean any movie with a character of Neo would get downloaded regardless of the imdb rating/genre/votes etc. The only checks that wouldn't be overridden would be the system checks to see if you already have the movie downloaded - see next question for details.

Q10. What does the Movies Downloaded and Movie To Replace features do?.

A10. Movies Downloaded will check to see if the movie has been downloaded already, if so then it will skip the matching title. Movies To Replace will force a download of the movie title even if its imdb rating/votes/genre dont match, this could be useful for instance if your moving from SD movies to HD movies.

Q11. I've enabled Movies Downloaded and defined the root folder but it doesn't work.

A11. MovieGrabber currently requires each movie to have its own folder with the folder name matching the IMDb name of the movie, if you have all your movie files in one folder or the folder name does not match the imdb title then a match will not be made.

Q12. Love your work!, can i send you a donation?.

A12. Donations are not currently accepted, but i may add this in at a later stage, for now a simple thanks on this thread would be great :-).

Example Usage
Example 1. you like a particular director - add the name to favorite directors and every movie past and future will be downloaded regardless of other criteria
Example 2. you like to have a complete series of movies - add one of the main character name to favorite characters and all movies past and future with this character name will be downloaded regardless of other criteria
Example 3. you like movies that are only newer than year 2000 - change the good date to be 2000 and only movies with a release year of 200+ will be downloaded
Example 4. you dont like certain genres - untick the genres you dont like in the good genres list and the movies with those genres will not be downloaded
Example 5. you prefer certain genres over others - tick the genres you prefer in the prefereed genres list and reduce the rating.
Example 6. you aren't a collector, you just want the latest movies only - change the good date to this year and you will only get movies created for this year

Download Links - MovieGrabber has now moved to GitHub!

Release
https://github.com/binhex/moviegrabber/releases

Readme
https://github.com/binhex/moviegrabber/ ... /README.md
Last edited by binhex on August 20th, 2014, 11:31 am, edited 69 times in total.
splnut

Re: MovieGrabber - completely automated movie downloader

Post by splnut »

I have filled out all the information listed in the config but when going to the home page all it says is

"configuration incomplete - please complete website and/or folder configuration "

I looked in the logs and have not seen anything helpful for me to troubleshoot the issue. any suggestions? I am running Windows 7 64bit.
binhex

Post by binhex »

splnut wrote:I have filled out all the information listed in the config but when going to the home page all it says is

"configuration incomplete - please complete website and/or folder configuration "

I looked in the logs and have not seen anything helpful for me to troubleshoot the issue. any suggestions? I am running Windows 7 64bit.

read Q3 above, that should answer your question :-)
splnut

Post by splnut »

I don't see a run now button that the 1st Q3 talked about.
binhex

Post by binhex »

splnut wrote:I don't see a run now button that the 1st Q3 talked about.
you wont see the run now button until the minimum sections are completed, you will need to make sure the 3 folder sections are complete and the details for the index site your using are complete, once youve done this and saved the config the run now button will appear
Go to "Configuration" and then select the sub menu item "Folders" fill in the folders for the following sections and click on Save:-
Watched Folder, NZB Folder, Completed Folder

Go to "Configuration" and then select the sub menu item "Website" fill in all details for the index site you will be using and click on Save. Once you have done this click on "Run now" or wait for the schedule to start (default is 1 hour)
splnut

Post by splnut »

I've verified that this information has been filled out numerous times and tried restrating the app also. I am reinstalling the python modules just to be safe.
binhex

Post by binhex »

splnut wrote:I've verified that this information has been filled out numerous times and tried restrating the app also. I am reinstalling the python modules just to be safe.
ok can you make sure in the website section that you have the right index site selected, also double check the folders section, there are some rules written into the code to prevent things like setting the watched and nzb folders being the same, so even if you have filled them in it will blank them if they are the same.
rascalli

Post by rascalli »

are there any things this app can do that Couchpotato can not do ??
binhex

Post by binhex »

rascalli wrote:are there any things this app can do that Couchpotato can not do ??
the fundamental difference between this and couchpotato is that couchpotato requires the user to input the movie titles he/she wants to dl, moviegrabber does away with this by choosing whether to download a movie based on imdb criteria such as genre, number of votes, rating, favorite char/actors/directs etc, it really is a completely automated way of downloading, check out Q4 in my first post, i hope this spurs you on to giving it a try :-)
rascalli

Post by rascalli »

Well I would love to give it a try ... but that means installing all this software on my QNAP NAS .. and I am not sure about that
binhex

Post by binhex »

rascalli wrote:Well I would love to give it a try ... but that means installing all this software on my QNAP NAS .. and I am not sure about that
i understand, im gong to try and look into bundling required modules with the source code version of my app so that no additional python libraries are needed to be installed, i dont know if this is possible, its on my to-do list :-).

im assuming the source code version of couchpotato does just this, thus you didnt need to install cherrypy/cheetah, just unzip and run the main python file?, as you can tell im not a linux guru by a long stretch :-)
binhex

Post by binhex »

rascalli wrote:Well I would love to give it a try ... but that means installing all this software on my QNAP NAS .. and I am not sure about that
ok i had a look into this today and managed to bundle all required modules with the source zip (2.0.1), so you should now only require a unzip and run, the only pre-requisite is python 2.7.x, i have to put in my disclaimer that this hasnt been tested on linux/mac so there could still be some tweaks required to get it to run ^-^

binhex.
rascalli

Post by rascalli »

will python 2.6 also be ok ?
binhex

Post by binhex »

rascalli wrote:will python 2.6 also be ok ?
err tbh im not sure i would have to check each module for any changes made between 2.6.x and 2.7.x, it SHOULD be ok as there aren't any major differences, worth a go, the worst that happens is you've wasted 4MB of bandwidth eh ;D
rascalli

Post by rascalli »

Tried to start it with : python MovieGrabber.py

But see the following error ;

File "MovieGrabber.py", line 80, in <module>
import cherrypy
ImportError: No module named cherrypy