Files simply disappear after downloaded...

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
meleagaunt

Files simply disappear after downloaded...

Post by meleagaunt »

Hello,

First of all I love SABnzbd... Been using it for a while on my Mac until I reformatted 2 weeks ago and had to re-install it.

Version: (Ex: 0.5.5 Final)
Install-type: OSx .app
Skin (if applicable): Plush
Firewall Software: None
Are you using IPV6? no
Is the issue reproducible? On my machine it is... :(

Problem:
Very simple.

I have SABnzbd configured to read from my rss feeds and +delete. It worked fine for a few months (I started with 0.5.3 I think). 2 weeks ago I had to reformat my computer and I re downloaded this amazing app. I had one problem that I didn't remember encountering the first time around... I could not point the download directory to my external HDD. For whatever reason it kept making a folder on my "home" directory with the name of my external drive instead of just pointing there. After some looking around I read I needed to type the "absolute path" to my external HDD:

/Volumes/Overflow HD/NG/Temp
/Volumes/Overflow HD/NG/Complete/

That seemed to make it work and I thought I was back on track. (Overflow HD is the name of one of my external drives).

Not so fast...
It seems that every file downloaded. Every single nzb that it grabs from my RSS feeds... It downloads them (I see the file being downloaded on the client), it unpacks/unrars it (I can "hear" the drive activity as it unpacks it) and then the file disappears. All of it, not just the source... everything is gone. As if it never downloaded anything. I found a terminal command to enable "view hidden files" in OS X and the downloads are not there either (the temp folder)... They are simply gone. Do a spotlight search on "This Mac" and the file simply does not exist. I tried changing the settings of the client to +unpack only (so it leaves the source files) but it does not matter. They simply disappear...

Weird huh?

I have googled this as best I can to no avail. A few things (like figuring out how to point the destination folder to an extenral drive) I have been able to figure out but this current issue? For this I am stuck and would appreciate any guidance!

Thanks,

mele
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Files simply disappear after downloaded...

Post by shypike »

SABnzbd gets confused when external volumes are not mounted.
The OS happily create a real folder in /Volumes.
When you mount the drive later, this folder is obscured by the drive.

Make sure that the drive is mounted before starting SABnzbd.
Unmount the drive to find the missing files.

We are working on a better solution in the next major release.
meleagaunt

Post by meleagaunt »

shypike,
Thanks for the reply.... I unmounted and remounted the drive but the files are nowhere to be found, although on the 'History' (main view when you open SABnzbd) it looks as if it had downloaded a bunch of stuff.

:(

What I will do next is change the destination folder to an internal folder instead and report back if that fixes the issue.

Oh, and just a note: that HDD (the target external drive) is always plugged in as I usually never disconnect it.

Thanks for the reply! It is very exciting to get a reply from a "forum hero" like you! :)
gyre

Post by gyre »

Unmount the drives again.  See if the files you want are now visible at points on your original drives before you re-mount the other drives.

-- gyre --
meleagaunt

Post by meleagaunt »

I un-mount the drive, but the files are nowhere to be found on the internal drives...
Isn't that weird?

I am using the internal HDD as the destination folder now and no issues... However this is not optimal... :(

I think for now I will just manually move the files after DL to a NAS. Thanks for all the help guys!!!!
guitarboy

Post by guitarboy »

Having the same problem. PowerPC G5 Mac 0S/X 10.4.11 (Tiger). SABnzbd 0.6.8. Worked fine for a couple of weeks but now downloads to an external USB drive are disappearing. Downloads to the internal drive work fine but there's not a lot of room on that drive so need to get the external drive working. Unmounting/remounting doesn't help. SAB reported that the original downloads worked but they are nowhere to be found.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

Did you try removing the USB drive and check /Volumes for local folders?
guitarboy

Post by guitarboy »

So yes, the files were written to /Volumes/Media 1/Volumes/LaCie Mac/downloads/complete, where "Media 1" is the internal drive and "LaCie Mac" is the name of the external drive. This folder is aliased to /Volumes/LaCie Mac/downloads/complete, which is where I had configured SAB to store the completed downloads.

If I remount the drive it appears as /Volumes/LaCie Mac 1/.

I'm guessing that at some point SAB was started when the disk was unmounted, so SAB went ahead and created the "LaCie Mac" folder on the internal drive. Oddly though, the folder and its contents only appear if you explicitly go to it (via the Go to Folder command). It also doesn't show up in searches.

Any way to prevent this?
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

Not sure.
SABnzbd will now refuse to create a new folder in /Volumes.
It will, however, happily create a new folder when /Volumes/SomeName exists and you tell it to use /Volumes/SomeName.
It doesn't hold with complex aliasing.