30%+ Failure Rate (CRC/PAR) but Retry works

Support for the Debian/Ubuntu package, created by JCFP.
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Re: 30%+ Failure Rate (CRC/PAR) but Retry works

Post by sander »

anarche wrote:
Ran memtest for nearly 4 hours earlier and only got 1 error.
Ouch. Memory problems are not acceptable: they will cause all kinds of strange problems.

Do you have two (or more) memory modules? If so, can you remove the memory module that causes the problem, and then run memtest again? If your system is 100% OK, you can test SAB-downloads again.
anarche

Post by anarche »

I'll see what I can do about tracking down some old DDR1 RAM. More than likely I'll have to order some. It's looking like prices have gone up a bit for DDR1, so I really hope it fixes the issue.

If that doesn't fix the issue, what would be your next suggestion?

And thank you very much for your replies, I really appreciate it.

~AnarchE
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

anarche wrote:I'll see what I can do about tracking down some old DDR1 RAM. More than likely I'll have to order some. It's looking like prices have gone up a bit for DDR1, so I really hope it fixes the issue.

If that doesn't fix the issue, what would be your next suggestion?

And thank you very much for your replies, I really appreciate it.

~AnarchE
DDR1? Ouch, that's old. Maybe you should try friends, dumpstores, or ebay for a low-priced second hand memory module.

You didn't answer my question how many memory modules you have in your system. If you've more than 1, you could pull out a memory module, run memtest86 again to check the faulty memory is gone (if not: swap module).
As soon as your memory is 'clean', run your OS and SABnzbd again; check that everything works OK then.
anarche

Post by anarche »

Yeah the box is only for a file server, so it's specs don't need to be spectacular. I can easily stream a 20gb blu-ray rip over gigabit to my media center without any hiccups and that's my main goal.

As far as getting RAM, I'm looking at newegg and it's only about $20 for 1 GB stick.

Somehow I missed that second line: Right now there is only 1 1GB stick. So taking one out isn't an option.

Once I get my hands on some RAM I'll report back.
anarche

Post by anarche »

RAM is ordered, should be here by mid week next week. I'll let you know how I make out once I replace the current module.
anarche

Post by anarche »

Received the new RAM, installed it, removed the old RAM. Ran memtest for 4 hours without a single error.

First attempt failed, hit retry without supplying any additional files and it repaired/extracted fine. This is the same/similar problem that I was having before purchasing the new RAM.

Few questions:

1.) Would you like logs?
2.) Can you think of any other ways to diagnose what's causing this?
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

Was another download busy during the verification?
Is the QuickCheck option (Config->Switches) on?

We could look at a debug log.
Set log level to debug on status page.
Download and post process an NZB and if it fails the same way, zip the log files
and email to bugs at sabnzbd.org
anarche

Post by anarche »

I just tested another NZB that I know worked for my brother within the past hour. There were no other downloads at the same time, however some ran afterwards. It took multiple retries for post processing to work. Quick check IS enabled. One other thing to mention...I even went as far as to switching usenet providers to ensure that wasn't the problem as well, and I'm still having the same issues. Both usenet services have good reputations.

Emailing you the full log relevant to this NZB. Let me know if you need anything else.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

Should have asked this right away: I need the NZB as well.
anarche

Post by anarche »

Shypike: Sorry for the slow response, I've been cramming for a test tomorrow. I actually was thinking of sending you the NZB as well and it slipped my mind.

I'm sending you a fresh log from tonight and the NZB. The post processing failed, I retried 3-4 times and it finally worked.

Thank you again for all of your support, you're truly a great dev.

-AnarchE