Failed to connect

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
Rodolpho

Failed to connect

Post by Rodolpho »

I'm using reader.xsusenet.com (in combination with the low-retention server newszilla6.xs4all.nl on IPv6), it's slow but it worked (and has a greater retention period) and that was OK for me. Today I got the following message:

(10061, 'Failed to connect: (10054, 'Connection reset by peer') -[email protected]:563")

What does it mean, and what can I do about it?

Greetings,
Rodolpho
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Failed to connect

Post by shypike »

The server doesn't want to talk to you (or your PC rather).
Did you enable SSL for the server (since you're using port 563)?
Rodolpho

Post by Rodolpho »

Telenet just (15/11) left after installing fibrenet at my home. A test at speedtest.net gave the following results:
- 09 nov.: dwnload 16.08 / upload 1.13 / ping 00 ms (1 test)
- 15 nov.: dwnload 15.02 to 18.60 / upload 2.38 / ping 10 ms (3 tests)
The man who did the installation mentioned that maybe it is not so wise to use IPv6, because it should take 20% of all the speed for surfing on the web (?)

Afterwards, I tried SABnzbd again and got the following messages after testing 'my' two servers:
-For reader.xsusenet.com (with free account, for 'older' posts) I'm using port 563 (with SSL) and 2 connections. In the past this worked well, now I get the message:
(10061, 'Failed to connect: (10054, 'Connection reset by peer') -[email protected]:563")
-For newszilla6.xs4all.nl (without account), on port 119 (no SSL) and 3 connections sometimes I get a positive message, sometimes this one:
(10061, 'Failed to connect: (10060, 'timed out') -[email protected]:119")

So, I downloaded a recent post (265 MB) - at an average of 225 KB/s (mostly less than 200 KB/s, max. about 445 KB/s). Yesterday, approximately at the same time (between 15:00 and 16:00 o'clock), I had speedbursts from 747 tot 879 KB/s (also recent posts).

Didn't I read somewhere connections with SSL are less secure?

Rodolpho
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

You're using a free ipv4 account and a free ipv6 account and you're surprised that they don't always work?
The simplest test is to make a telnet connection to the server and see if you get a response.
(On Windows, use putty).

Please explain why SSL is less safe.
Not using SSL will transmit passwords as plain text.
Although most people use SSL in an attempt to avoid ISP traffic shaping.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

@Rodolpho

If you want linespeed newsgroup access with trouble-free connections, get a paid account, for example at http://www.lightningusenet.com/ For €4.50 you get 30 days of access.

EDIT:
- I tried a free account xsusenet, and it works for me: just 2 connections, port 119, no SSL. I get 132 KB/s, which indeed is the promised 1 Mbps. So: use the correct setttings, and only two connections.
- As you have already a (free) xsusenet account, it could be easy to upgrade that account to a paid account to get line speed. Xsusenet is a bit more expensive than lightningusenet, so decide for yourself.
Rodolpho

Post by Rodolpho »

@sander

I want to put it clear: in the first place I'm not displeased with the results I get ;) . I know it's free, so I cann't always have high speed but I'm new to SABnzbd and I'm trying to understand the messages I get. So, can I find somewhere on the forum (or elsewhere) a list of these messages with a little explanation:that's why I put them in bold in the first place.

I'm gratefull for the help and info i get,
Rodolpho
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

"Connection reset by peer" is standard TCP/IP parlance meaning: the server cannot complete the connection at a very basic level.
The server is on-line but it's Usenet service isn't.
"Time-out" is just that: the server doesn't respond and might as well not exist.
We could try to "translate" these for less informed users, but often these messages gives clues to what's going on.
Although probably not in this case.