Free Newsservers

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Re: Free Newsservers

Post by sander »

FYI:

I've made a change to the page with newsservers' status (both free and non-free) on http://toverdoos.waardenburg.net/newsserver.html : The sort order is now: first reachable newsservers with no login, then reachable newsservers with a login, then unreachable newsservers

So, if you want to know which newsservers need no account and are reachable, you only need to have a look at the top lines. At this moment there are only two of them:
newszilla6.xs4all.nl and weathergirl-ipv6.tele2.net, and both are IPv6-only. EDIT: news.readfreenews.net is now also reachable and is IPv4.

(FYI: the old sort order was just based on "number of connections > 0")
Acid_Jack

Post by Acid_Jack »

binload.com
Register. Install their java-client and launch it. Start download something from usenet. Sniff your login and password (not registered ones) with Wireshark. Profit.
krackt

Post by krackt »

Acid_Jack wrote:binload.com
Register. Install their java-client and launch it. Start download something from usenet. Sniff your login and password (not registered ones) with Wireshark. Profit.
...all very well except registrations closed months ago :-\
Acid_Jack

Post by Acid_Jack »

krackt wrote: ...all very well except registrations closed months ago :-\
Oops. I didn't know about it.
TheKarateKitt

Post by TheKarateKitt »

I've recently gone from XP to Win7 (w/ IPv6 on by default) and can't get any IPv6 servers working now. The tutorials I've followed in the past to connect are no longer valid. What should I be doing to connect?
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

TheKarateKitt wrote:I've recently gone from XP to Win7 (w/ IPv6 on by default) and can't get any IPv6 servers working now. The tutorials I've followed in the past to connect are no longer valid. What should I be doing to connect?
What's the result of the instruction at "Check your IPv6 connectivity" on http://forums.sabnzbd.org/viewtopic.php?t=8830&f=1 ?
TheKarateKitt

Post by TheKarateKitt »

Wow, sorry for the delayed response.
My test scores:
Your IPv4 address on the public Internet appears to be 76.124.148.196

Your IPv6 address on the public Internet appears to be 2001:0:4137:9e76:1c77:6d5:b383:6b3b
Your IPv6 service appears to be: Teredo

The World IPv6 Launch day is June 6th, 2012. Good news! Your current browser, on this computer and at this location, are expected to keep working after the Launch. [more info]

You appear to be able to browse the IPv4 Internet only. You will not be able to reach IPv6-only sites.

Your IPv6 connection appears to be using Teredo, a type of IPv4/IPv6 gateway; currently it connects only to direct IP's. Your browser will not be able to go to IPv6 sites by name. This means the current configuration is not useful for browsing IPv6 web sites. [more info]

Your DNS server (possibly run by your ISP) appears to have IPv6 Internet access.
Your readiness scores
10/10 for your IPv4 stability and readiness, when publishers offer both IPv4 and IPv6
0/10 for your IPv6 stability and readiness, when publishers are forced to go IPv6 only
Any hints or ideas as to what IP/server setup should look like using GrabIt (I do realize it's an alternative to SABnzbd. However, there are no known forums - to me - for Grabit).
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

You have IPv6: "Your IPv6 address on the public Internet appears to be 2001:0:4137:9e76:1c77:6d5:b383:6b3b". So, just fill out newszilla6.xs4all.nl with 3 connections in SABnzbd and test it.

Grabit looks like Windows-software. I don't use Windows, so I can't tell you anything about Grabit. I certainly don't know whether it supports IPv6, like SABnzbd does.
Vyp3R

Post by Vyp3R »

sander wrote:I can't tell you anything about Grabit. I certainly don't know whether it supports IPv6, like SABnzbd does.
Think of it like a cut down version of SABnzbd. It can do IPv6 as long as you can in Windows but it will only connect to one server at a time, unlike SAB which can connect to multiple servers at once.
Runamok81

Post by Runamok81 »

I created a quick how to guide for setting up IPv6 with tunnelbroker.net and router with TomatoUSB installed.
Hopefully it will help someone.
corvaxmuzzy

Post by corvaxmuzzy »

Runamok81,

Thank you for the guide.
mck

Post by mck »

http://www.tweak.nl/nieuws.html&item=175
free.tweaknews.nl:119 Threads: 4

also XennaNews test server that has been around for a while not on the list
91.223.220.236:119
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

mck wrote:http://www.tweak.nl/nieuws.html&item=175

Thank you. Added; see http://www.appelboor.com/newsserver.html
bluenote

Post by bluenote »

sander wrote:
mck wrote:http://www.tweak.nl/nieuws.html&item=175

Thank you. Added; see http://www.appelboor.com/newsserver.html
Hey Sander

Thanks again for maintaining this list. (And thanks to mck above for adding to it).
Do you think you could add a legend to the html page with what the numbers reflect? I feel dumb asking as I kind of have an idea but not really enough to evaluate them for retention.

thanks
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

bluenote wrote: Hey Sander

Thanks again for maintaining this list. (And thanks to mck above for adding to it).
Do you think you could add a legend to the html page with what the numbers reflect? I feel dumb asking as I kind of have an idea but not really enough to evaluate them for retention.

thanks
There a four columns, with the following heading: "Newsserver Status/Logon Connections IPv4/IPv6". Explanation of those four column headings:

Newsserver: name or IP address of the newsserver
Status/Logon: what was the (technical) response of the server to the request "group alt.binaries.boneless\n". There are a few server responses possible: server just answers the group command, or the server says you must first login, or the server does something worse (disconnect or something like that)
Connections: the number of connections that were possible simultanously
IPv4/IPv6: IPv4 or IPv6. If you don't know what this is, only have a look at the IPv4 servers.

So ... does this make it clear?

I don't measure the retention. I would like to that that, but it would mean much more work. My ultimate idea is that the SABnzbd instances running on everybody's computer should report that ...