SABdrop, a client for Google Chrome

Got a program that plays well with SABnzbd? Share it here!
Caffeine

SABdrop, a client for Google Chrome

Post by Caffeine »

Hey guys and girls ;D

I've developed a little Chrome extension called SABdrop.

SABdrop permits sending links of NZB files to a SABnzbd instance immediately. It adds a "Send to" option to the context menu of weblinks. Additionally it scans websites for linked NZB files and - when files are found - adds a page action to the address bar of Chrome that offers transmission of those files to SABnzbd.

The functionality is very basic (at the moment) but in my humble opinion also very useful ;) SABdrop works well in conjunction with other Chrome extensions like SABconnect++ for example.

If you use Chrome I would be pleased if you test my extension. Please report bugs and feature requests here.

Many thanks & have fun,
Sven
Last edited by Caffeine on February 27th, 2012, 3:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Caffeine

Re: SABdrop extension for Google Chrome

Post by Caffeine »

Good point! I'll add that to the TODO list for a future version.
Caffeine

Post by Caffeine »

I've updated the extension. It now also supports categories. Downloads can be easily assigned to a category with the context menu entry or page action.
void.pointer

Post by void.pointer »

Hey everyone.

SABconnect++ (check for this on the Chrome Web Store) version 0.5.0 was just released. I've started working on this project as the active developer so you can look forward to seeing many more great things from this extension soon. This release marks a huge number of changes for this extension.

One particular change is that I've added a context menu to SabConnect++. So, unfortunately there would be no need for SABdrop anymore. I realize you created this extension in the absence of native support for this in SABconnect++, however it's in there now :)

Here's a link to the extension in the Chrome Web Store:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... jfacbkkbod
Caffeine

Post by Caffeine »

void.pointer wrote: One particular change is that I've added a context menu to SabConnect++. So, unfortunately there would be no need for SABdrop anymore.
That's not very nice of you. Do you also think that all the other SABnzbd Chrome extensions are needless because SABconnect++ exists? Don't you think diversity and choice are good things? Maybe there're people out there who just want/need an extensions that adds a context menu and page action (a feature that SABconnect++ doesn't have) and nothing more? Also SABdrop supports categories in the context menu which SABconnect++ doesn't, for example.

If you obviously copy features from other extensions just be nice and refer to the original author instead of saying "Hey, you can now delete that extensions because mine has the feature now, too". I believe in Open Source, free software and freedom (of speech) and I think it's ok to be inspired by other's works but I just don't like your attitude. I mean, I've been nice to SABconnect++. I even mentioned in my initial post. But you...?
Last edited by Caffeine on May 30th, 2011, 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
void.pointer

Post by void.pointer »

Caffeine wrote:
void.pointer wrote: One particular change is that I've added a context menu to SabConnect++. So, unfortunately there would be no need for SABdrop anymore.
That's not very nice of you. Do you also think that all the other SABnzbd Chrome extensions are needless because SABconnect++ exists? Don't you think diversity and choice are good things? Maybe there're people out there who just want/need an extensions that adds a context menu and page action (a feature that SABconnect++ doesn't have) and nothing more? Also SABdrop supports categories in the context menu which SABconnect++ doesn't, for example.

If you obviously copy features from other extensions just be nice and refer to the original author instead of saying "Hey, you can now delete that extensions because mine has the feature now, too". I believe in Open Source, free software and freedom (of speech) and I think it's ok to be inspired by other's works but I just don't like your attitude. I mean, I've been nice to SABconnect++. I even mentioned in my initial post. But you...?
I actually implemented this because you submitted an issue on the google code project page for it. I didn't copy anything. Hope you eventually get over this. I'd be mad too if I created sabdrop and right after that a context menu finally gets added to sabconnect. Best of luck on your extension.
Caffeine

Post by Caffeine »

void.pointer wrote: I actually implemented this because you submitted an issue on the google code project page for it. I didn't copy anything. Hope you eventually get over this. I'd be mad too if I created sabdrop and right after that a context menu finally gets added to sabconnect. Best of luck on your extension.
No, I didn't submit the issue to your Google Code project page. I just commented on it. But since no one worked on this for months I decided to develop my own extensions. And shortly afterwards you implement that feature. Strange...
void.pointer

Post by void.pointer »

Caffeine wrote: No, I didn't submit the issue to your Google Code project page. I just commented on it. But since no one worked on this for months I decided to develop my own extensions. And shortly afterwards you implement that feature. Strange...
Doesn't matter, you voiced the importance of the feature which was my point.

I'm a family man with a job and of course what little free time I have I choose to spend picking a random stranger on the internet to piss off by doing development work on an extension and implementing features that negate any work he has done on his own extension.

Get serious dude. It's all bad timing, and if you're going to act immature about it that's your own problem. I picked up the slack on SabConnect because it was falling behind and you should be thankful instead of QQ'ing and trolling about how mad you are that the work you've done has essentially gone to waste.

I mentioned my work on your thread for a simple purpose, to let you know that the feature you expressed interest in had been implemented. I expected you to be grateful and appreciative, yet you decided to be immature and hostile about it.

Anyway, I've got a ton of things to do and I'm very busy. I don't have time to sit here and continue to argue with you. I won't be following up on this thread anymore. So I wish you the best on your extension.
Caffeine

Post by Caffeine »

The only one who acts immature and hostile is you. I never said that my work has "gone to waste" (why this mean tone?) because as I mentioned earlier SABdrop has additional features that SABconnect++ doesn't. And it's nice to see that this feature has finally come to SABconnect.

But it's just rude to come here to the forum thread of SABdrop and snobbishly claim that SABdrop can now be deleted since SABconnect++ has this feature. If you just had left out that part of your statement than everything would've been ok. So please turn down your ego a bit.
Caffeine

Re: SABdrop v0.4 (06/12/11), extension for Google Chrome

Post by Caffeine »

Version 0.4 of SABdrop adds an experimental feature that sends a NZB link to SABnzbd as a file upload. This should work around issues with websites that require an authentication (e.g. forums). Please test and let me know if it works.
Last edited by Caffeine on June 12th, 2011, 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Loto_Bak

Re: SABdrop v0.4 (06/12/11), extension for Google Chrome

Post by Loto_Bak »

Thanks for the addon!
Caffeine

SABdrop 0.6 released!

Post by Caffeine »

Hey there,

I've just released a new version of SABdrop. SABdrop is now a full-featured SABnzbd client for Google Chrome with download management functionality (pause, resume, delete, move). Of course the context menu for sending NZB weblinks to SABnzbd is also still there.

It's available for free at the Chrome Web Store. Check it out and let me know if you like it :)
Caffeine

Re: SABdrop, a client for Google Chrome

Post by Caffeine »

Since I received some bad reviews on the Chrome Web Store for SABdrop and all seem to have the same problem I just want to make clear that if you use a private, password-protected forum make sure to enable the option "Use file upload" in the SABdrop settings.

The default behaviour of SABdrop is to send the URL of the NZB to SABnzbd. However if this URL is password protected SABnzbd cannot open it. "File upload" downloads the NZB file from the website and uploads it to SABnzbd to work around this. So actually this is a SABnzbd issue and not a SABdrop one. I developed the "File upload" functionality especially for this case.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

I'm trying SABdrop for the first time. Questions:

The default is "http://localhost/sabnzbd". Why not "http://localhost:8080/sabnzbd", as 8080 is SAB's default?

Whatever I try, I get "FAILED. SABnzbd doesn't permit remote access". I just copy-pasted the API key from SAB's config, so I guess it's correct. SAB's stdout says "2012-05-22 16:07:14,764::DEBUG::[interface:400] API-call from ::ffff:127.0.0.1 {'mode': 'auth'}"

Any tips?

EDIT:

I had API-key disabled in SAB, so that I could use an empty key. However that doesn't work, apparantly.

I enabled APIkey, and now I get "FAILED. SABnzbd doesn't permit selected authentication method".
Caffeine

Post by Caffeine »

sander wrote:I'm trying SABdrop for the first time. Questions:
The default is "http://localhost/sabnzbd". Why not "http://localhost:8080/sabnzbd", as 8080 is SAB's default?
That's a good point. I will change that.
sander wrote:Whatever I try, I get "FAILED. SABnzbd doesn't permit remote access". I just copy-pasted the API key from SAB's config, so I guess it's correct. SAB's stdout says "2012-05-22 16:07:14,764::DEBUG::[interface:400] API-call from ::ffff:127.0.0.1 {'mode': 'auth'}"

Any tips?

EDIT:

I had API-key disabled in SAB, so that I could use an empty key. However that doesn't work, apparantly.

I enabled APIkey, and now I get "FAILED. SABnzbd doesn't permit selected authentication method".
What version of SABnzbd are you using? If you are not using API-key authentication and have it disabled in SABnzbd you can also use username/password authentication. Make sure it's enabled in both SABnzbd and SABdrop.