Very Important: ATTN Comcast Users, Monthly Band Monitor

Want something added? Ask for it here.
keymaker

Very Important: ATTN Comcast Users, Monthly Band Monitor

Post by keymaker »

If you havent already heard, comcast is going to a 250gb limit on bandwidth. If you break this limit twice within a calendar year, they will ban your account from the network for a year.

I thought of this and would LOVE to see this implemented before the OCT 1 2008 start date of this bandwidth limit; A lightweight monitoring system for monthly usage of downloads. Even though a small feature, this could help solve a potentially problematic situation before it starts.

Maybe a limiting proggy that counts down from a set limit each month?

Thanks doods
sab12397

Re: Very Important: ATTN Comcast Users, Monthly Band Monitor

Post by sab12397 »

Something similar has been requested here

http://forums.sabnzbd.org/index.php?topic=980.0

Hopefully the more people who request something similar the more chance of it being considered.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

There's already something in SABnzbd: in lower right corner of the Plush interface, my SAB says "250.02 GB Downloaded ". If you note that amount on each first of the month, you should be OK.

HTH
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

Be careful, this is nett data. This is at least 20% less then what's actually counted by the ISP.
inpheaux
Administrator
Administrator

Post by inpheaux »

Since SABnzbd+ traffic is most likely only a fraction of your total traffic, you'll probably be better off using something like Netmeter to monitor your monthly traffic (and send you alerts when you near a monthly quota), or a custom router firmware such as tomato or DD-WRT to monitor bandwidth usage for an entire household. If we just put alerts at the SABnzbd level, we might never warn you in time.
RXP

Post by RXP »

Tomato is the best thing to use. But if the ISP is introducing a cap they should have a mandatory obligation to display customers stats. It's stupid that they don't and just warn you.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

RXP wrote: But if the ISP is introducing a cap they should have a mandatory obligation to display customers stats. It's stupid that they don't and just warn you.
Good point!

What would really work is real competition so that customers can choose.
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
dbb

Post by dbb »

Verizon just sent me a flyer saying that FiOS would be available for ordering in my area very soon (they installed fiber in my yard about 2 months ago).  This couldn't have come at a better time.  Comcast just lost my 68 dollars a month for basic cable and 16/2 internet.  Even though I would probably never hit the 250GB limit, I don't like to be limited when I am paying them good money.  If the number of people that are causing them to impose this limit are so few why are they punishing everyone else with it?  What about the good people that might have to go over 250 GB one month for some legitimate reason (lol).  :)
Last edited by dbb on September 11th, 2008, 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.