Send NZB files to SABNZBD by mail

Want something added? Ask for it here.
Paladin

Send NZB files to SABNZBD by mail

Post by Paladin »

A great feature would be if you can send a mail with a nzb file to a pop3/imap mailbox, which sabnzbd can read out every x minutes. Kind of like a watched folder but a watched mailbox instead.

This is great for sending a nzb from where ever you are, without the hassle of creating a vpn/ssh tunnel to your sabnzdb installation at home. A second advantage is that your sabnzbd installation doesn't need to be running when sending the mail with the nzb file. When you power on the device, it will check the mailbox and add the nzb to the queue.

Practical example : I have a Synology at home which is powered down during the day and powers on at night for two hours to download stuff that's been fed to it by Sickbeard or by manually feeding it nzbs by using a watched folder. When I'm at work or somewhere else and I find a good nzb, I have to go through the process of remotely powering the Synology on by using WOL, creating an ssl tunnel to home, opening up Synology homepage and adding the NZB to the watched folder. Or by using SABHelper on my mobile device, again through a tunnel. If on the other hand I could just mail the nzb files to an email address, it would work as a remote queue. When sabnzbd starts, it would read out the mailbox and add the nzbs to it's own queue for download. Even without the device being powered down, it's still a great feature to send nzb files remotely to your sabnzbd device as nowadays, you can send email from almost anywhere.

Well I think it would be a very nice feature to have ;).
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Send NZB files to SABNZBD by mail

Post by shypike »

Nice idea but way too much work to integrate.
It's better to use a separate tool that dumps emails into a watched folder.
Or use something like DropBox to transfer files.
wolo

Post by wolo »

I like the email idea, too.

Any recommendations for an automated tool that will:

1.) watch an SMTP mailbox
2.) automatically download an NZB file from a URL (fake example: http://somenzbsite.com/nzb-download.php ... ip=1&cat=2)
3.) copy that NZB to a local watch folder

Or, any other non-tunnel methods of doing something similar?

Thanks,
Wolo
exussum

Post by exussum »

wolo wrote:I like the email idea, too.

Any recommendations for an automated tool that will:

1.) watch an SMTP mailbox
2.) automatically download an NZB file from a URL (fake example: http://somenzbsite.com/nzb-download.php ... ip=1&cat=2)
3.) copy that NZB to a local watch folder

Or, any other non-tunnel methods of doing something similar?

Thanks,
Wolo
is the mailbox local ?
s0ck3t

Post by s0ck3t »

The mailbox would't have to necessarily be local. But if your going to go through all the trouble of doing something like this I agree with skypike dropbox would be easier. Hell creating your own rss from a watched directory on a cheap web host would be easier.
exussum

Post by exussum »

If it was local you could pipe the email to sabnzbd - if not you need to connect with pop / imap