Howto: Installing SABnzbd on Raspberry Pi (Raspbian)

Support for the Debian/Ubuntu package, created by JCFP.
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
Shinobininjai

Re: Howto: Installing SABnzbd on Raspberry Pi (Raspbian)

Post by Shinobininjai »

Is it possible for sabnzbd on raspberry pi to send completed downloads to a NAS on the same network, as opposed to an external usb hdd?
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

Shinobininjai wrote:Is it possible for sabnzbd on raspberry pi to send completed downloads to a NAS on the same network, as opposed to an external usb hdd?
Yet, it is, as long as the NAS is visible and writable from the Raspi. Best way to do it: via Categories (Default category)
wolvesink

Post by wolvesink »

Hi
I'm having difficulties getting the program to start it seemingly installs ok but will fail when attempting to start the web-server. It appears to be saying port 8080 is not bound although previously it has errored saying it is unavailable. I've specified the host and ports in /etc/default/sabnzbdplus hoping this might resolve but with no success.

I'm an absolute beginner with linux, one reason i bought the pi, so not sure how to resolve this any help be greatly appreciated.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

wolvesink wrote:Hi
I'm having difficulties getting the program to start it seemingly installs ok but will fail when attempting to start the web-server. It appears to be saying port 8080 is not bound although previously it has errored saying it is unavailable. I've specified the host and ports in /etc/default/sabnzbdplus hoping this might resolve but with no success.

I'm an absolute beginner with linux, one reason i bought the pi, so not sure how to resolve this any help be greatly appreciated.
As a start, don't run sab as a service, but from the command line:

Code: Select all

sudo service sabnzbdplus stop
sabnzbdplus
wolvesink

Post by wolvesink »

Hi Sander, I appreciate your help.

I hadn't really got as far to try setting up sabnzbplus as a service but I ran the stop instruction to be sure, this is the result
sudo service sabnzbdplus stop
[warn] SABnzbd+ binary newsgrabber: not configured, aborting. See /etc/default/sabnzbdplus ... (warning).
I then started the service manually, the main part of the error message was
2013-04-11 19:12:03,030::INFO::[sabnzbdplus:1390] Starting web-interface on 0.0.0.0:8080
2013-04-11 19:12:04,109::INFO::[_cplogging:55] [11/Apr/2013:19:12:04] ENGINE Bus STARTING
2013-04-11 19:12:04,207::INFO::[_cplogging:55] [11/Apr/2013:19:12:04] ENGINE Started monitor thread '_TimeoutMonitor'.
2013-04-11 19:12:59,686::ERROR::[_cplogging:55] [11/Apr/2013:19:12:59] ENGINE Error in 'start' listener <bound method Server.start of <cherrypy._cpserver.Server object at 0x2240e70>>
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/share/sabnzbdplus/cherrypy/process/wspbus.py", line 147, in publish
output.append(listener(*args, **kwargs))
File "/usr/share/sabnzbdplus/cherrypy/_cpserver.py", line 90, in start
ServerAdapter.start(self)
File "/usr/share/sabnzbdplus/cherrypy/process/servers.py", line 62, in start
self.wait()
File "/usr/share/sabnzbdplus/cherrypy/process/servers.py", line 103, in wait
wait_for_occupied_port(host, port)
File "/usr/share/sabnzbdplus/cherrypy/process/servers.py", line 275, in wait_for_occupied_port
raise IOError("Port %r not bound on %r" % (port, host))
IOError: Port 8080 not bound on '0.0.0.0'

2013-04-11 19:12:59,698::ERROR::[_cplogging:55] [11/Apr/2013:19:12:59] ENGINE Shutting down due to error in start listener:
File "/usr/share/sabnzbdplus/cherrypy/process/wspbus.py", line 184, in start
self.publish('start')
self.wait()
File "/usr/share/sabnzbdplus/cherrypy/process/servers.py", line 275, in wait_for_occupied_port

2013-04-11 19:12:59,716::INFO::[_cplogging:55] [11/Apr/2013:19:12:59] ENGINE Bus STOPPING
2013-04-11 19:12:59,720::INFO::[_cplogging:55] [11/Apr/2013:19:12:59] ENGINE HTTP Server cherrypy._cpwsgi_server.CPWSGIServer(('0.0.0.0', 8080)) already shut down
2013-04-11 19:12:59,788::INFO::[_cplogging:55] [11/Apr/2013:19:12:59] ENGINE Stopped thread '_TimeoutMonitor'.
2013-04-11 19:12:59,797::INFO::[_cplogging:55] [11/Apr/2013:19:12:59] ENGINE Bus STOPPED
2013-04-11 19:12:59,817::INFO::[_cplogging:55] [11/Apr/2013:19:12:59] ENGINE Bus EXITING
2013-04-11 19:12:59,826::INFO::[_cplogging:55] [11/Apr/2013:19:12:59] ENGINE Bus EXITED
2013-04-11 19:12:59,831::ERROR::[sabnzbdplus:1405] Failed to start web-interface:
File "/usr/bin/sabnzbdplus", line 1397, in main
cherrypy.engine.start()
File "/usr/share/sabnzbdplus/cherrypy/process/wspbus.py", line 184, in start
self.publish('start')
self.wait()
2013-04-11 19:12:59,877::ERROR::[sabnzbdplus:302] Failed to start web-interface : Port 8080 not bound on '0.0.0.0'
Do i need to do something to create/bind the port as part of configuring raspbian?

thanks again
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

My goal was to NOT run SABnzbd as a service; running from command line is easier for debugging.

Are you using Raspbian, or ... ?

Did you google "IOError: Port 8080 not bound on '0.0.0.0'" and find http://forums.sabnzbd.org/viewtopic.php?t=6607&start=0 ?
wolvesink

Post by wolvesink »

Hi
That was a mis-wording on my part i meant sabnzdplus, i did each of your lines in turn initially disabled the desktop boot to run from command line i then ran again from a terminal window so i could copy the error.

I'm running the current available raspbian wheezy download 2013-02-09-wheezy-raspbian.

I'd searched numerous conotations of port not bound etc. but not actually thought to search the full error, doh on my part i've done so many a time before.

I'll read through that forum posting and check if there are any settings a miss with my settings.

Cheers
JVM

Post by JVM »

I have fluctuating speeds on the pi with SABnzbd. Otherwise SABnzbd works great, no crashes after 2 days straight on the 2013-05-25-wheezy-raspbian image. This is from my router:

SABnzbd on my laptop obviously maxes out my connection. Any tips?
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

JVM wrote:I have fluctuating speeds on the pi with SABnzbd. Otherwise SABnzbd works great, no crashes after 2 days straight on the 2013-05-25-wheezy-raspbian image. This is from my router:

SABnzbd on my laptop obviously maxes out my connection. Any tips?
If on low-end hardware like the Raspi and you want full-speed, you're probably better with nzbget 9.0 or higher. See http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 5&p=356967

HTH
theoski

Post by theoski »

I did some work on arm boards

SAB, SB, CP combo with NFS, MySQL, VPN to 4 RPi (wired) on OpenElec 3.2.4 over 1 Gbit/s Ethernet and Powerline 200Mbit/s adapters

The best set up so far is Cubieboard 2 with 32GB SSD attached to it and the external hard drives through USB

SSD drive helps with unpacking, verifying, repairing

Cubieboard 2 (dual core A8, SATA, 4GB Nand, $59) - 3.6Mb/s down; 1 min per 1Gb unrar
BBB (A8, 2GB Nand, $45) - 3.0Mb/s down; 4-5 min per 1GB unrar
RPi Model B (A6, $35) - 1.2Mb/s down; 5-6 min per 1GB unrar - which for me is $45 setup anyway because of the cost of SD Card and USB stick to get to comparable performance to Nand

RPi and BBB could not stream when down/unpack. Dual core Cubieboard 2 works great.
stevenmahon

Post by stevenmahon »

Hi I'm having difficulties getting the program to start it seemingly installs ok but will fail when attempting to start the web-server.

click through the next post
Neggal

Post by Neggal »

Hi all,

I've been able to install SABNZBD on my raspberry pi without much of a glitch (running raspbian). I'm using the standard repository.

What I'm somewhat confused about is that I seem to only reach about 80-90 KB/s, while I see all of you reporting speeds of around 1 MB/s. My internet speed is about 30 Mbit and my normal PC manages speeds (on the same server) of abour 1.0-1.4 MB/s. What am I doing wrong?
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

Neggal wrote: What I'm somewhat confused about is that I seem to only reach about 80-90 KB/s
if you hover with your mouse above the download, does it say anything about missing articles? A low speed may indicate missing articles.
Or: does the download eventually end successful?
Neggal

Post by Neggal »

sander wrote:
Neggal wrote: What I'm somewhat confused about is that I seem to only reach about 80-90 KB/s
if you hover with your mouse above the download, does it say anything about missing articles? A low speed may indicate missing articles.
Or: does the download eventually end successful?
Hi sander,

Thanks for your response! Actually the download just finishes successfully and I don't see warnings about missing articles. Based on your remark I doublechecked with the same NZB file on the raspberry Pi (cabled) and my laptop (wifi). The raspberry pi maxes out around 70 KB/s this time, while the laptop reaches 1.2 MB/s.

Note: I've already tried playing around with SSL / non-SSL servers, number of connections (currently 3) and limiting the cpu load. I've also already tried optimizing the memory split. Nothing seems to have a big impact on the speed.

This setup is somewhat workable for me, but it makes me dependable on my laptop for any critical downloads, which is not what my goal is for the raspberry pi server setup. Any inputs to improve my setup would be appreciated!
regis123

Post by regis123 »

I am running raspbmc on the new Model B+ Pi with SABnzbd version 0.7.16 and a wired ethernet connection.

My download speed is quite inconsistent and is pretty slow, averaging around 700KB/sec.

It goes up to a max of around 1.8MB/sec for a few seconds, goes back down to around 1MB/sec for about 10 seconds and then drops down to 0. It will then continue through that same cycle over and over during the download, until it eventually finishes and unpacks successfully.

If I download a 100MB test file on the Pi via "wget ftp://ftp.xs4all.nl/pub/test/100mb.bin" to the same directory where SABnzbd is writing to, I get 4.59MB/sec.

If I use SABnzbd on my laptop over WiFi, downloading the same nzb file, writing to the same folder, I get speeds of 6.8MB/sec.

Any idea why the huge fluctuations happen only on the Pi using SABnzbd and possibly how to fix that?