New Server Priorities

Want something added? Ask for it here.
sab12397

New Server Priorities

Post by sab12397 »

On the roadmap it mentions how the new server priorities may work.

I would like to suggest a feature that would allow a server to have the same priority number - not just a simple 1,2,3,4 as the roadmap suggests.

When this priority is reached all the servers at the same priority level would be used and checked for missing articles.

This would be great if you were using servers with speed limits - e.g. you can assign them the same priority and they would all be used together.

So if the current setup of how SAB uses servers is used with the new server priorities all the Primary Servers would be given priority 1 and all the Backup Servers would be given priority 2.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Re: New Server Priorities

Post by shypike »

The roadmap entry doesn't preclude what you are describing :)
That was the intended implementation.
luniq

Post by luniq »

I am also looking forward to this
I just got my second backup server. Right now I set a pseudo server priority setting by giving high number of connection with the backup server i want to use the most and only one connection to the other one. So i will use more bandwidth from server with high number of connection compared to other one with only one connection. I hope it is going to turn out like that.
bluenote

Post by bluenote »

Hi Shypike

I remember at some point when this was adopted you said implementation time would test the patience of those waiting :)

I checked the roadmap today and see that most other features are implemented, but not this one.

I hope you might take pity on some of us and give us a hint whether this is still being worked on, and what units of patience we might need.
I'm thinking in the realm of days/weeks/months/years/decades?

This isn't meant to come across as pestering, I hope it doesn't.

thanks!
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

Due to low resources (man hours) we're having a bad time doing basic maintenance
and after that getting 0.8.0 out.
This feature hacks into the (complex) heart of the downloader code and is a) no fun to implement and b) very time-consuming (due to testing).