Making Sabnzbd use Quickpar

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
wafranyofl

Making Sabnzbd use Quickpar

Post by wafranyofl »

Hello.

Is it in any way possible to make Sabnzbd use Quickpar? Though Par2.exe is configured to use idle CPU time only it slows downs my computer extremely and is embarassing slow. It's not possible to work with my PC normally during verification. I tried several configurations using additional parameters or disabling multiple processor support but nothing works. Sabnzbd often fails to unpack ISO-Files that were splitted with Quickpar, too. Therefore I'd like to use Quickpar automatically for verification and combining of splitted files. Other than Par2.exe it works like a charm.

For the time being:
system software: Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (up to date)
Sabnzbd: 0.7.16
Par2 configuration: multiple processor enabled (other tested)
additional switches: -t+ (other tested)

with kind regards
wafranyofl
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Making Sabnzbd use Quickpar

Post by shypike »

Quickpar cannot be made to behave in an automated environment.
Believe me, I have tried in the past.
It's also closed source, so it cannot be modified either.
Pepi

Post by Pepi »

So, it's time somebody wrote an open source version of it, one with no GUI. There is one on Linux, but it is flawed, as it can't autorename, nor does it understand Unicode (the man page was written in 2004). Could perhaps be something to use as a start, for the so inclined? I write only simplistic Python code, so C isn't my cup-o-tea.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

The secret of QuickPar is it's high speed on just a single core.
The standard par2 program is open source, but much much slower.
Pepi

Post by Pepi »

Not to forget, it's also lacks the features I pointed out. Personally I don't give a fiddling-hoo about speed when there is an automated system involved. It works night, while I sleep so who cares about speed then? If it's done some time "tomorrow", I'm happy.

I'm less happy when I find that repairs failed due to Unicode issues, or misnamed parts.

The point I was trying to make was, that it should be possible--for the so inclined--to fork the current "par2" project, add the missing bits and at least get a version that works similarly to how QuickPar does it, with autorename, and Unicode support. Currently, it doesn't, so a lot of downloaded stuff fails and have to be manually repaired with QuickPar afterwards (in Wine, of course).

How does this come in to play when we're talking speed issues? I'd say it's a heckuva lot slower.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

You may have noticed that Quickpar needs you to select the par2 files on many cases.
Besides that, SABnzbd/par2 now does most stuff right.
At least on Windows and OSX. Linux is an issue due to its fragmentation on file systems.