Set number of connections for time range

Want something added? Ask for it here.
ebswift

Set number of connections for time range

Post by ebswift »

I've got ADSL and setting up my servers with too many connections pretty much stops the internet working on all other computers around the house. If I set the connections to 1 the internet is generally usable. BUT, then when I'm sleeping, the limited connections cause much slower downloads so the queue is slow to process. It would be great to be able to somehow set connection time ranges for servers so the connections can pretty much take over while I'm sleeping and clear the queue much faster.
wimpie1

Re: Set number of connections for time range

Post by wimpie1 »

This is not something for SAB, but for your router.

I have the same situation, slow (4Mbit) ADSL, but with QoS (google it) I prioritize SAB with the lowest priority. This means that when I download something from another computer, the router squizes SAB (sometimes till a speed of 5 kbyte/sec) until my http download/surfing is done.

This QoS lets me use my limmited bandwith to the max, it is as if SAB isn't there when I am surfing, using Voip,...

Google dd-wrt, I use this...

OR

Use speedlimits; 50% of your max speed at daytime, 100% of your max speed at night...
ebswift

Post by ebswift »

Yeah I'm using dd-wrt and while QoS does work while there are only a few connections, multiple connections kill the internet pretty quickly. I'm not sure if limiting the speed will help much, sometimes it might be downloading at only 1/8 the total available speed with multiple connections but still grinding surfing to a halt.

For now I just mostly leave the server connections to only 1, and my surfing and downloading can co-exist. But downloads are slow. If I manually max out the connections at night, it can download at close to full speed all night so that seems like a simple solution to me, only have it automated.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

I agree with wimpie1 that your router should take of this. Furthermore I'm surprised by the effects you described.

Anyway: you could try Config -> Scheduling:
- limit the speed
or
- define your newsserver twice: one time normal with one connection, and the same server with three connection (for the night). Make a schedule with your "night server" to disable it at 07:00, and Resume at 23:00. Please note: I have not tested this.

EDIT: the second method does not seem to work. :-(
wimpie1

Post by wimpie1 »

You say it slows down with many connections. How many are you using (with SAB)?

For a slow link, 3 or 4 connections to the usenet server is plenty...

Now, your settings for QoS:

Give all your computers a fixed IP (using dd-wrt and the MAC addresses) (services/Static Leases)

QoS Settings
Start QoS : Enable
Port : WAN
Packet Scheduler : HTB
Uplink (kbps) : 85 % of your max speed
Downlink (kbps) : 85 % of your max speed

I repeat: speed is 85 % of your max speed, if you do it any higher, changes are almost certain it won't work

Use netmask priority:

premium : for voip, gaming pc
express : for all 'normal' pc's
standard : for computers not listed (visitor smartphone)
bulk : for your SAB server

Netmask Priority
Delete IP/Mask Priority
10.87.51.70/32 Premium
10.87.51.71/32 Express
10.87.51.103/32 Bulk

You could also work with 'MAC Priority', but I use 'netmask priority'
ebswift

Post by ebswift »

Thanks for the replies, I'll give the dd-wrt settings a whirl. I had already tried a number of variations, but maybe not that one specifically, I think I'm using 'Standard' for all the normal pc's. Generally, even with 3-4 connections I can still surf ok, but when the other members of my household also start surfing, it's not so much that they're streaming content, I think the simultaneous connections become saturated. Anyway, thanks, I'll persevere with dd-wrt some more.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

With ADSL the upspeed is so poor compared to downspeed
that it can become the bottle neck.
Both SABnzbd and every web surfer are uploading requests all the time.
You probably need to tame SABnzbd for this reason alone.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

shypike wrote:With ADSL the upspeed is so poor compared to downspeed
that it can become the bottle neck.
Both SABnzbd and every web surfer are uploading requests all the time.
You probably need to tame SABnzbd for this reason alone.
In my own experience this only happens with torrent traffic; if the torrent traffic saturates the upstream, the downstream speed will drop to the upstream speed. So if you have a 10 / 0.2 Mbps ADSL connection and you will up your upstream (so: 0.2 Mbps), your downstream will drop to 0.2 Mbps too.

Solution: limit upstream torrent traffic to 0.0001 Mbps

Oh, on top of that: torrent traffic uses a lot of connections, which fills the NAT table in a NAT device, which causes problems in badly implemented NAT devices.
wimpie1

Post by wimpie1 »

Sander, that's also my experience.

Torrents not only need to ACK all incomming data packets (just like SAB), but also wants to upload data. And it uses way to many connections. The few times I use torrents, I limit the upstream to 8 kbyte/sec. This also works fine.

At this moment, my SAB server is downloading full speed and my WAN port has a down speed of approx 3.9 Mbps while the upspeed is about 90 kbps. My ISP gives me 4Mbit down, 375 kbit up.

But using those QoS settings I wrote about, surfing is as if no SAB server is running. The QoS service chokes SAB completly if there is more important data traffic.