[Windows] PushOver Notifications

Come up with a useful post-processing script? Share it here!
carphead

[Windows] PushOver Notifications

Post by carphead »

I prefer the look and feel of PushOver over any of the Growl apps. Plus I'm trying to minimize the amount of things I leave running on my server so I can just logged it out all the time. Sickbeard and CoachPotato already support PushOver so I thought I'd try and get it running in Sabnzbd.

Luckily somebody has already done a lot of the hard work for me and create a command line app.

https://4m.pushover.net/54

So I added a new APP in the PushOver settings and added the this script to the Pre-queue user script setting in Sabnzbd.
pathto\myPush.exe /user=YourUserAPI /app=YOURAPPAPIKEY /title=%1 /msg=%1
Then I created a Post Processing Script with
pathto\myPush.exe /user=YourUserAPI /app=YOURAPPAPIKEY /title=%3 /msg="Status = %7"
For Sickbeard I added this instead
pathto\myPush.exe /user=YourUserAPI /app=YOURAPPAPIKEY /title="Sabnzb Download Completed Finshed - %3" /msg="Status = %7 %5"
scripts\sabToSickBeard.exe "PathtoSickbeardfolder\SickBeard"
Oh and lastly I disabled the Prowl Settings in SABNZBD. Obviously it'd be neater if Sabnzbd had PushOver support builtin! :D ;D
badgcoupe

Re: [Windows] PushOver Notifications

Post by badgcoupe »

Thanks for this, I'm hoping he codes mypush.exe with the ability to add an icon. I'm using pushover because it looks awesome compared to prowl/growl. I just used the email method for now but hoping either SAB incorporates it into the app or that mypush.exe gets the ability to add file icons.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

@carphead:

Have you considered using curl.exe instead? http://www.paehl.com/open_source/?CURL_7.28.0 has curl with HTTPS, and with

Code: Select all

curl -s  -F "token=abc123"  -F "user=user123"   -F "message=hello world"   https://api.pushover.net/1/messages.json
... and it should work. Disclaimer; I have no pushover, and I have no windows, so ... not tested

Reason of my post: with curl (or wget or another URL-getter), you just use a generic tool, making your postprocessing script more portable. Or just use python, to make it 100% portable.

Code: Select all

sander@R540:~$ curl -s   -F "token=abc123"   -F "user=user123"   -F "message=hello world"   https://api.pushover.net/1/messages.json

{"token":"invalid","errors":["application token is invalid"],"status":0}

sander@R540:~$

carphead

Post by carphead »

My initial testing was with Curl and Python. I found the PushOver service to be a bit buggy at the time.

I'm in the process of switching to a hosted VPS for my downloads will probably have another go at doing it soon.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

We're not going to implement PushOver support, mainly because of this:
Applications are currently limited to sending 7,500 messages per month. If your application needs a higher message limit, please see our FAQ for pricing information. Open source applications may receive free upgraded limits.
Usage of a service like PushOver should be something between the user and the service operator.
The application authors should not be part of the deal.
Free or not, the SABnzbd authors will not deal with PushOver in any way.

We did implement Prowl support, because in that case it's just a deal between the user and the Prowl operator.
MaxFocus

Post by MaxFocus »

Hi,

Just wanted to ask if this is still standing, as far as I checked in the FAQ there is not limitation therefore there should be a chance to implement this in SAB?

I personally don't mind using a diffrent app but since I already purchased it for SickBeard and Couchpotato I would like to keep everything in one app rather than switching back and forth.

Thanks again for this amazing software,
Best
Max

**// EDIT: FOUND THE INFOMATION ON THE WEBSITE AND TEHRE IS STILL THE 7500 LIMITATION, therfore makes it un usable I guess.\\**
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

I might look at it again.
It looks like they have a way of letting the user obtain an API per app.
I still don't like the way they organize this.
Prowl makes this a lot simpler: just one API-key per user for all the user's apps.
jocke

Post by jocke »

I don't see the problem with not implementing this when they let the users create their own apps that get their own API-key. SABnzbd would not need to pay Pushover anything at all. If a user has more than 7500 pushes from SABnzbd, they can personally purchase more pushes.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

Indeed that's the only way I would ever implement it.
Other than that: PushOver is just one entry in a very long todo list.
I welcome github pull-requests implementing PushOver support :)