How does newsleecher/supersearch work + 1 other question

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
b1scu1t
Release Testers
Release Testers

How does newsleecher/supersearch work + 1 other question

Post by b1scu1t »

Hello,

I am a happy & content user of SABnzbd, but that being said I look at what's going on at newzbin with some trepidation.  I have a few questions with that in mind.

- Are there any other raw newsgroup search web sites available, which will further allow me to roll my own nzb's? 
- With regards to newsleecher+supersearch, how does supersearch work?  Does it download headers too or does it create nzb's further dl's that?  I am a mac user, so I am just curious how this product works. 

Thanks,
b1scu1t
switch

Re: How does newsleecher/supersearch work + 1 other question

Post by switch »

There are plenty of other sites you can get nzb's from http://sabnzbd.wikidot.com/nzb-sources

None match newzbin in terms of features however.

As for supersearch, you will have to ask them. As far as I know they run a server that indexes newsgroup headers in a searchable manner.
toliman

Post by toliman »

as for Newsleecher, the indexes they use are self-gathered using a dedicated batch process, it's not an indexing site per se, as your queries need to be using the specific NL protocols, and queries are sent back as XPAT requests, i believe. not sure on that one, but i believe it's used to gather parts. could be wrong on that.

as for NZB sources, there are plenty of NZB indexing sites available, i can think of 5 or 6 free ones.

the only reason i can think of to prefer NL to SABnzbd is that newsleecher offers a reseller deal for giganews, if you don't already have a usenet provider, they offer a giganews + newsleecher deal, you get newsleecher+supersearch for free as long as you get giganews via their link, and keep using giganews. otherwise, it's not that great, other usenet mac apps would be better (though i can't think of any)

for a mac, newsleecher uses up a lot of memory and HDD speed, as it's writing to the virtual pagefile and the virtual HDD in parallels. in windows alone, it's fine, since you're not quadruple-dipping into the memory pool to run a single app.
if you use a wrapper like crossover and configure the damnable thing (not fun), then it will work OK just not fast or stable, you should hunt down an older version or the hacked version as it doesn't use the licensing software from the latest betas, which will either break or simply not function in crossover or wine. it's the same advice for getting games to work in crossover really.

it's far, far, far quicker to use the web indexes to browse for releases, and use sites like binsearch.info for more specific files that aren't already batch processed.

for individual files, using newsleecher in parallels works OK, but for binaries, the woeful DL speed and UI slowdown as the HDD and RAM chokes, well it will really suck.
b1scu1t
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by b1scu1t »

Toliman,

Thank you very much for your detailed response.  I have used hellanzb, SABnzbd+ & nzbdrop(between Mac OS & Linux) and by fair I have found SABnzbd+ works perfectly.  I was just curious about NL and from what you say, SAB ought to be quite ideal for my needs for the near forseeable future.

Best,
b1scu1t