in which order are backup servers used?

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
Ludwig

in which order are backup servers used?

Post by Ludwig »

Hey,

I've currently set up Astraweb EU as my primary download server and am using Astraweb US as a backup server. This works relatively well. The US server is contacted whenever the EU server doesn't have something.

Now it happens from time to time that neither the US or the EU Astraweb servers have a part required to complete a download, so I'm thinking of purchasing a block account from another usenet provider and adding a second backup server.

The question is which of the two backup servers will be contacted first?
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Re: in which order are backup servers used?

Post by shypike »

The will both be tried, if needed.
There's no priority between backup servers.
Vincent9756

Post by Vincent9756 »

@shypike: I'm not understanding. You said they will both be tried if needed. Do you issue requests for the same missing article to *all* backup servers? Or, do you keep an ordered list of servers and try them in that order? If so, how is that list ordered (in the order I add the servers, alphabetically by address or some other method)?

I have 3 backup servers. Would it help to set my block account server as backup *and* optional (would that be some indication of using that server as the last resort)?
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

Article requests are distributed over backup servers.
When one is missing an article, another backup server will be tried.
Suppose two articles are missing, they may be requested from two different backup servers.
Selection is partially random. The first backup server with a free slot is used.
A fast server will get more requests than a slow one.
Vincent9756

Post by Vincent9756 »

shypike wrote:Article requests are distributed over backup servers.
When one is missing an article, another backup server will be tried.
Suppose two articles are missing, they may be requested from two different backup servers.
Selection is partially random. The first backup server with a free slot is used.
A fast server will get more requests than a slow one.
Thanks very much.

It seems best then to disable my block account server and just use the European servers as my backup (I live in the US). I've been using NewsLeecher and found that it rarely accesses the block account. I'm now switching to SABNZBD because NewsLeecher can't handle the misnamed files (and it doesn't look like they're going to address the situation) that are often posted for tv shows and movies due to avoid DMCA take-downs. SABNZBD does this perfectly. It's amazing. Thanks.
sab12397

Post by sab12397 »

Set both EU and US Astra as primary servers - if the article is missing on one the other is tried anyway.

Set your block server as the backup.

Treat it as two pools of servers. The first pool is tried first then the second pool is then tried.

It is a pity the patch for proper server priority has not been applied until it is the above is the best you can do.

I do not know the reason why but Shypike seems to be a bit reluctant or just does not have the time.
Last edited by sab12397 on March 5th, 2014, 1:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Vincent9756

Post by Vincent9756 »

sab12397 wrote:Set both EU and US Astra as primary servers - if the article is missing on one the other is tried anyway.
Set your block server as the backup.
OK. Thanks.
sab12397

Post by sab12397 »

Treat it as two pools of servers. The first pool is tried first then the second pool is then tried.

It is a pity the patch for proper server priority has not been applied until it is the above is the best you can do.

I do not know the reason why but Shypike seems to be a bit reluctant or just does not have the time.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

sab12397 wrote: 1. It is a pity the patch for proper server priority has not been applied until it is the above is the best you can do.

2. I do not know the reason why but Shypike seems to be a bit reluctant or just does not have the time.
1. Did I miss something? There's a patch?

2. "No time" is true most of the time :(
wimpie1

Post by wimpie1 »

shypike wrote:
sab12397 wrote: 1. It is a pity the patch for proper server priority has not been applied until it is the above is the best you can do.

2. I do not know the reason why but Shypike seems to be a bit reluctant or just does not have the time.
1. Did I miss something? There's a patch?

2. "No time" is true most of the time :(
Shypike,

Please reread https://forums.sabnzbd.org/viewtopic.ph ... =15#p90823 (and further).

Maybe contact Fmstrad...

I am also patiently waiting for this to be included in an official release...

Thanks
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

Yeah, we never synced again and it slipped my mind.
I may be able to pick this up again depending on how fmstrad thinks about it now.
Forgetting things is one side effect of having too much to do :(