300 megabit connection SSL

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
newsleecher

300 megabit connection SSL

Post by newsleecher »

Hi I've used Sabnzb for a long time, never had any problems with it. However today I finally have a big problem and need assistance. I've been getting full 100 megabit out of sab and newshosting with about 10-12 SSL connections for ages. Recently my ISP upped me to 300 megabits with about 30 megabits additional over provisioned so call it 330.

On Sabnzb latest stable I cannot reach my max on ssl. I try with 8,15,30 connections it does not get me there. Gets to about 230 unstable with 30 connection. Without SSL can hit 330 with about 20.

So you may be thinking it's newshosting, traffic shaping or other mumbo jumbo, but it is not. I try the new c++ hotness NZBget and it is able to max out continuously and stable at 330 with 18-20 SSL connections. NZBget has some cipher setting tweak and seems to make SSL work better RC4-MD5 I think.

Link:
http://nzbget.net/Choosing_a_cipher

So I want to stay in sabnzb camp of course because it's what I know and like. But I need to resolve this speed issue.

I'm on win7 64bit, 1.9Ghz i3 ivy bridge, 16GB ram, 128 SSD, gigabit nic of course.

Who here can crank 330+ out of sabnzb on SSL, and what did you do to achieve it?

Thanks
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 300 megabit connection SSL

Post by shypike »

SABnzbd, being written in Python, is simply less efficient in basic downloading than something written in C++.
This shows up when having a very high bandwidth or using a low performance system.
newsleecher

Post by newsleecher »

hey man, for last gasp to try and stay with sab I was gonna add another provider and see if dl from multiple providers at same time could max it out on ssl. Should I try that or don't waste money trying it?
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

An extra provider is not going to change anything, except the content of your bank account.
newsleecher

Post by newsleecher »

Haha you are right shypike, I did a trial sign up with another provider for 20 more SSL connections. And that did not help. However each provider separately was able to top 330 megabits in nzbget.

So I guess this is goodbye from me for now. I will have to retrain to use nzbget which isn't so bad as it has borrowed many configuration, concepts and options from sab. But I will keep my eye on future versions of sab to see if something changes.

Congrats on making an excellent product that held up very well through many years.