[Windows] NzbDrone - Automatic TV Downloader

Got a program that plays well with SABnzbd? Share it here!
markus101
Release Testers
Release Testers

Re: [Windows] NzbDrone - Automatic TV Downloader

Post by markus101 »

Setting them to unmonitored would break the automatic upgrading, as long as the cutoff in the quality profile is met with the files downloaded already a new episode wouldn't be downloaded.

In your scenario did the season of HIMYM have episodes on disk?
Did those episode meet or exceed the cutoff set in the quality profile?
- How is your quality profile setup?
- What quality is set to cutoff
- What quality were the episodes on disk?
RKM

Post by RKM »

@Markus
I hadn't considered "automatic upgrading" because I didn't realize the purpose of that feature until you mentioned it here. If that's something that people use, I can completely understand why you can't remove monitoring for downloaded episodes. However, if someone un-sets the upgrading feature, it would be an option. With that said, I can understand if you didn't want to offer it for consistencies sake.

> In your scenario did the season of HIMYM have episodes on disk?

No, they had been watched and deleted.

> Did those episode meet or exceed the cutoff set in the quality profile?

Yes, my quality profile is set as "SD" for all shows, so I'm not sure if it's possible not to meet the criteria in my configuration, but I could be wrong on that.

> How is your quality profile setup?
> What quality is set to cutoff
> What quality were the episodes on disk?

"SD" on all episodes (which on my system includes: SDTV, WEBDL-480p, DVD). But here's the weird thing, when I explored this just now at your request, the file-size cutoffs all seemed to be set the same for all types (SDTV, HDTV, Bluray, etc). They were all 3.15 GB for 30 minutes and 6.29 for 60 minutes. I don't ever remember seeing or setting this option in the past, is it possible this is the default upon install?

To clarify some points about my configuration:
- I don't use "Drone Factory"
- I've disabled "Rename Episodes" (I allow SABNZBD to do this using the intrinsic feature)
- I've disabled "Season Folders"
- I've disabled "Create empty Season Folders"

- I've disabled "Download Propers" (I don't see any other sort of option that would avoid re-downloading based for "upgrading" purposes, if there is, let me know and I'll set that)

- I do have enabled "Redownload" and "Remove" for "Failed Download Handling"

- Feature: "Ignore Deleted Episodes" is set to "Yes" from day one.

Thank you in advance,
RKM
markus101
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by markus101 »

RKM wrote: To clarify some points about my configuration:
- I don't use "Drone Factory"
- I've disabled "Rename Episodes" (I allow SABNZBD to do this using the intrinsic feature)
- I've disabled "Season Folders"
- I've disabled "Create empty Season Folders"
If you're not using Drone Factory then rename episodes, season folders wouldn't apply.

SD is a default quality profile with the cutoff at SDTV, but it could be changed to make DVD the cutoff instead, in which case SDTV releases would not meet the cutoff, but given the fact that the files are not present on disk then the cutoff could not be met. Though all checks need to pass for a release to be queued (IE monitored).

Size is defaulted on install (it wasn't always shown in the UI though).

What version of drone are you currently running?

In order for Ignore deleted episodes to work drone needs to know that the episode downloaded successfully, otherwise it would treat the file as missing still and never toggle the monitored status, the best way to achieve that is via the use of Drone Factory, but it can limp along so to speak without it being set.

Is the series folder set to the same folder that SAB sorts to?
Were the episodes ever detected by NzbDrone as displayed as downloaded (not downloading) along with the quality in the UI? (Drone rescans for files every 12 hours)
Were the episodes that were grabbed today set to unmonitored (as shown on series details, checking after they were downloaded should still be valid)?
RKM

Post by RKM »

Running the latest master release (2.0.0.1002)

I don't use "Drone Factory" because the tooltips imply that if you download all files to a single directory (not using sorting/season folders) it will not work properly. This is based on the second/warning icon tool-tip.

I download everything to a flat folder, with all episodes for all shows in one single TV folder. i delete the shows when done watching them, I don't archive.

Nothing is ever marked as unmonitored after moving the file to SABNZBD.

This sort of goes back to my question in the very beginning. In the manner I use NZB Drone, how do I get it to avoid re-downloading in the future.

In Sickbeard this wasn't an issue. NOT because Sickbeard is "better", but due to the simplicity -- Sickbeard assumed that it was successful if it wasn't empowered to do any more with the file other than send it to SABNZBD.

If NZB Drone is configured by the user so that NZB Drone does not have the ability to determine if the download is successful, this issue can be solved by assuming success once the SABNZBD API call is successful. It doesn't mean the download is successful, but based on the configuration of NZB Drone in this example, that would be impossible, so based on that configuration, the API call is the last step in determining that the toggle from monitored to unmonitored should be made.

I realize this isn't ideal or perfect, but if NZB Drone is configured without the ability to check further, then it has to use the success of the API call alone, and based on that, mark as un-monitored.

If my explanation doesn't make sense, please let me know and I'll attempt to re-explain.

Thank you,
RKM
markus101
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by markus101 »

Okay, took us a while, but I understand your scenario now. You are correct that sorting with drone (using the drone factory folder) would not work for your scenario.

There definitely isn't a supported way to achieve what you want/need at this time, nor can I think of a work around programatic work around. I see a couple potential solutions, but I'm not sure if thats the direction I want to go. I've added it to Trello, https://trello.com/c/PRYBRH2h/498-fire- ... ownloading - not sure if/when it will be addressed.

A manual work around would be to update the SQLite DB directly periodically to ignore episodes that have already aired. Not the best easiest solution, but its the best option you have right now.
RKM

Post by RKM »

In Trello you wrote a solution identical to what I mentioned:
Immediately ignore episodes after they are queued (advanced option), but that would prevent failed downloads from being re-added if it was later reposted.
This takes less effort (nothing complex that messes with your other code) and works fine for anyone with this need. Plus it's an added option, for users that need to diagnose problems in NZBD by temporarily eliminating extra features.

In other words, this is not only an option to fix a flaw in NZB Drone that does work in Sickbeard, it's a feature for others who use it in the more robust manner as well.

It sounds like an ideal solution all around.

I should also mention that failed downloads when using a tool like NZBD or Sickbeard are so extremely rare, there really isn't a down side. Particularly when SABNZBD does such a great job pointing out the fails and the user can simply re-enter NZBD and re-try with one click.
djolord

Post by djolord »

I'm trying to use NzbDrone to scan and manage an external hard drive I have attached to a Raspberry Pi. The Pi can see and read the drive just fine. I can browse and map drives from my PC to the external drive, but NzbDrone seems to not be able to scan or see the files on the drive. I have tried accessing it through IP address and mapped drive, but no luck. I have fiddled around on the Pi mounting the drive to a specific mount point and modifying permissions so that a guest account can read and modify files on the drive. Again, I can do everything except enable NzbDrone. Any thoughts or advice? Thanks!
markus101
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by markus101 »

@djolord - Sounds like this might apply: https://github.com/NzbDrone/NzbDrone/wi ... ote-server

PS it would be best to use our forums: http://forums.nzbdrone.com for support as there aren't many users watching this thread.
djolord

Post by djolord »

Thanks markus101! Between a combo of switching to unc paths and using the console app instead of a service I was able to make it work. <insert happy dance>
blindpet

Post by blindpet »

In case anybody is struggling with setting up nzbdrone despite its very intuitive interface, I created a screenshot guide to configure nzbdrone