Cant use internet when SABNZBD is in use **HELP**

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Cant use internet when SABNZBD is in use **HELP**

Post by shypike »

I still think it's something with your ISP or router.
SABnzbd on the mentioned hardware should have no problem consuming all bandwidth,
but still it's up to the router and the ISP to enable other traffic.
Do you have symmetric fibre, in other words is your upload speed equal to your download speed?
The clogging is typical for ADSL connections though.
What happens if you set a bandwidth limit in SABnzbd itself?
Is the "clogging" for other apps on the same system or for on systems on your local network?
Are you using wireless? If so, I'm afraid you're hitting innate limits in WiFi.

BTW: I see no reason why using SSL is a factor.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

ovq wrote: I have QoS setup so that astraweb news downloads get capped at 60%. The router manages the quota just fine, but whatever I set as bandwidth limit, as soon as SABnzbd is DL something, the line is clogged.
When I pause the DL, all is fine again.
What happens when you put the same rule for a http/ftp site (for example ftp.belnet.be), and then wget/download from that site? Does the line get clogged?
sd42

Post by sd42 »

I have the same issue. I have 105 Mbit/s down and 23 Mbit/s up with Comcast.
  • If I run speedtest.net, I get rated speeds.
  • If I then launch other traffic (such as streaming movies), then run speed tests - I get the remaining speeds (i.e. speed test reports 105 less whatever bandwidth I'm using on the other traffic).
  • If I then launch sabnzbd and take say 5 Mbit/s, for example, then all connections start failing all over the devices on my network, and speed test reports 1-2Mbit/s.
  • If I stop sabnzbd, everything immediately returns to normal and speed test reports full speed again.
This is all happening over wired GigE connections. My company actually manufactures the router. I've been all over the issue with the other developers, but it doesn't seem to be our router - and it only happens with sabnzbd.

Anyone got any suggestions?
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

Comcast? So Comacast provides the cable modem, and you've connected your router to that? If so: what if you remove the router and connect your computer directly to the cable modem and then test again?
ovq

Post by ovq »

sander wrote:
ovq wrote: I have QoS setup so that astraweb news downloads get capped at 60%. The router manages the quota just fine, but whatever I set as bandwidth limit, as soon as SABnzbd is DL something, the line is clogged.
When I pause the DL, all is fine again.
What happens when you put the same rule for a http/ftp site (for example ftp.belnet.be), and then wget/download from that site? Does the line get clogged?
Nothing clogs the line as much as SABnzbd.
What's even more odd is, that my router is really heating up its CPU, whenever a SABnzbd DL is running.

I have a QOS rule in my TomatoUSB setup on position 3, thus right at the beginning of QOS screening, and it basically assigns all TCP Port 563 traffic to my Download rule, which is set to DL=UL=70%. Router IP traffic details show, that my SABnzbd downloads are being handled by the proper QOS rule.

I am on an async line (100 down, 10 up), but QOS is set to 80 down and 7 up, so there should be plenty of air to breathe.

Again, although P2P should put a whole lot more of stress on the router, it seems that SABnzbd somehow manages to really take over my router and network.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

Usenet is more of a load for a router than bittorrent.
This has to do with the way information is encoded and compressed on Usenet.
The only significant load that bittorrent causes is the large amount of open
network connections. Other than that, bittorrent is very light.
Also SABnzbd is no wonder of efficiency either.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

shypike wrote:Usenet is more of a load for a router than bittorrent.
This has to do with the way information is encoded and compressed on Usenet.
The only significant load that bittorrent causes is the large amount of open
network connections. Other than that, bittorrent is very light.
Also SABnzbd is no wonder of efficiency either.
IMHO:
Usenet typically causes a high number of bytes-per-second (over a limited set of connections), which can be a (too) high load for the router's/NAT's CPU. Solution: get a good router.

Bittorrent does two things:
- Create a lot of connections, which are a load for the router's/NAT's NAT table. Bad routers loose entries from the NAT table, causing connections to stop. Solution: get a good router. Workaround: limit the number of connections in your bittorrent client.
- Can fill up the upstream of an asymmetric Internet connection (DSL, Cable, but not on FttH), with the result that the ACKs of downstream traffic are delayed/dropped, causing the downstream TCP traffic to be throttled. In practice I have seen that the throttling of the downstream causes it be the same bandwidth as the upstream bandwidth ... which is very annoying on an asymmetric link. Solution (as said): limit the upstream bandwidth setting in the torrent client to 0.000001 kbps.
ovq

Post by ovq »

IMHO:
Usenet typically causes a high number of bytes-per-second (over a limited set of connections), which can be a (too) high load for the router's/NAT's CPU. Solution: get a good router.
This is where it gets weird: I am running an Asus RT-N66U, and I wouldn't call this router neither bad nor slow.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

I recently did a test at a friends home.
8Mbps ADSL with the typically poor upspeed.
Downloading at just 300 KBytes/sec (about 3Mbps) made all browsing tediously slow on all
devices on his network.
At home with my 100 Mbps fibre I can download at full speed (11 MByte/sec) without anyone
else on the network complaining.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

ovq wrote:
IMHO:
This is where it gets weird: I am running an Asus RT-N66U, and I wouldn't call this router neither bad nor slow.
I agree. And to what do you connect this router .... ? ;)