Newzbin replacement?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
dweller

Re: Newzbin replacement?

Post by dweller »

weldon wrote: yeah, you enable the regular sab sorting and then just make the rss feed just 'tv' episiodes. It's covered in a tutorial I wrote a little while ago for sabnzbd and xbmc if you're interested

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/129101/TUTORIAL.pdf
Been using this today. It works *okay* but duplicate checking is effectively non-existent due to the fact that it works off the usenet filenames instead of the nicely formatted report names of the Newzbin posts.

Ah well, I guess it'll have to do until something takes over the newzbin space effectively. Though NZBMatrix uses reports too, so that might be worth a try.
c0ld

Post by c0ld »

dweller wrote:Though NZBMatrix uses reports too, so that might be worth a try.
Matrix report names are just as useless as the original headers.
Nefarious
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by Nefarious »

Sadly I have 366 days of credit with newzbin still. Hopefully they regain some functionality after their next court case, but I wont hold my breath.
pmow
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by pmow »

Call me paranoid but I think it's a good idea to cease all downloading of NZBs from newzbin.  Lack of logging going into the future cannot be guaranteed, as the site owners are no longer in control.  I'm not sure about the UK but there are such things as sealed injunctions, and newzbin could be prevented from informing their users.
b1scu1t
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by b1scu1t »

Keep in mind tvnzb has worked quite well, but there are also some issues with fake gigantic content being uploaded.  Esp if you are on an ISP that has caps you may end up getting a 50GB crap file and use up all your quota for your month.  There is yahoo pipes equivalent for mytvnzbrss which filters out huge reports, which may resolve that problem.

Further 0.5.1 RC2 has a new config.ini size_limit entry which pauses sab when a huge user defined report is downloaded.
c0ld

Post by c0ld »

pmow wrote: Call me paranoid but I think it's a good idea to cease all downloading of NZBs from newzbin.  Lack of logging going into the future cannot be guaranteed, as the site owners are no longer in control.  I'm not sure about the UK but there are such things as sealed injunctions, and newzbin could be prevented from informing their users.
There's nothing illegal about downloading an NZB, even if it links to illegal content.
x0x

Post by x0x »

I miss Newzbin already. Made a default search for 720p tv shows from "teevee", bookmarked my usuals and SAB would download them, rename them and sort them. Please let there be another site....
inpheaux
Administrator
Administrator

Post by inpheaux »

x0x wrote: I miss Newzbin already. Made a default search for 720p tv shows from "teevee", bookmarked my usuals and SAB would download them, rename them and sort them. Please let there be another site....
Read. The. Thread.
feerlessleadr

Post by feerlessleadr »

So i was playing around with the 'raw' and 'condensed' sections of newzbin and was trying to get a feed for those sections for tv shows.

It said that there are no feeds available.  I didn't realize that newzbin didn't provide feeds for the condensed and raw sections.  Is this true, or am I doing something wrong?
inpheaux
Administrator
Administrator

Post by inpheaux »

feerlessleadr wrote: So i was playing around with the 'raw' and 'condensed' sections of newzbin and was trying to get a feed for those sections for tv shows.

It said that there are no feeds available.  I didn't realize that newzbin didn't provide feeds for the condensed and raw sections.  Is this true, or am I doing something wrong?
Nope, no rss feeds for condensed mode. Seriously, just use one of the MANY perfectly good alternatives listed on the wiki.
c0ld

Post by c0ld »

feerlessleadr wrote: So i was playing around with the 'raw' and 'condensed' sections of newzbin and was trying to get a feed for those sections for tv shows.

The condensing wouldn't be consistent enough to rely on for rss. You can set up the watchdog on saved searches in condensed mode though.
Last edited by c0ld on March 31st, 2010, 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
feerlessleadr

Post by feerlessleadr »

inpheaux wrote:

Nope, no rss feeds for condensed mode. Seriously, just use one of the MANY perfectly good alternatives listed on the wiki.
I have already switched away from newzbin, i just like the extra filter features that I got with the saved searches and was wondering if I could utilize the raw mode for feeds.
x0x

Post by x0x »

Firefox + nzbdStatus + NZBs(dot)ORG = a great combination!

Now only support for episode titles (tv shows) and categories and I'm all set. But it works great for now :D
substyle

Post by substyle »

I know its early and this might not be figured out yet...but if anyone thinks of an alternative to bring back categories and renaming for iphone downloaders...please post it. I was highly dependent on bookmarks for remote downloading + episode butler for recurring episodes. learning what my options are now.
Nefarious
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by Nefarious »

substyle wrote: I know its early and this might not be figured out yet...but if anyone thinks of an alternative to bring back categories and renaming for iphone downloaders...please post it. I was highly dependent on bookmarks for remote downloading + episode butler for recurring episodes. learning what my options are now.
The author of EB is looking at options to make it work with nzbmatrix or another indexing site. He commented on another site about it today.