Mac OS X 10.5.5 Leopard & SABnzbd+ 0.4.4, Doesn't Work

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
krackato

Mac OS X 10.5.5 Leopard & SABnzbd+ 0.4.4, Doesn't Work

Post by krackato »

When I install SABnzbd+ 0.4.4 onto my Leopard MacBook 10.5.5, and I run it, I try to go http://127.0.0.1:8080/sabnzbd, it states:

"Failed to Connect
Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at 127.0.0.1:8080."

I've tried running SABnzbd 0.4, 0.3.4, etc, but I can't get http://127.0.0.1:8080/sabnzbd or http://localhost:8080/sabnzbd to come up.

Is anyone else having this same problem?  Any ideas of how to fix this?  Usually, when I've installed SABnzbd, it just opens up the webpage, but I don't know why it's going on.  This all started when I upgraded from Tiger to Leopard.
krackato

Re: Mac OS X 10.5.5 Leopard & SABnzbd+ 0.4.4, Doesn't Work

Post by krackato »

Okay, I figured it out.  Came down to permissions in folders.

To see hidden folders, use terminal and type the command 'defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -bool true'

Then Force Quit and Relaunch Finder.

To revert to hidden folders use terminal and type the command 'defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -bool false'

This way you can edit the folder User\yourname\.sabnzbd
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

Do I understand correctly that port 8080 was not available on Leopard?
Most Apple systems have this port free.
I guess we developers are too much used to command shells to
realize that changing the port in an initial situation is not easy to do
for the average Apple user.
krackato

Post by krackato »

No, it wasn't the port.  It was that I created a new main user in OS X and I constantly have to change permissions so that the programs I install can do what they need to do.  I'm going to do a format, reinstall eventually.  Just wanted to point out that SAB is fine, and the problem was on my end.
chessman

Post by chessman »

Had this problem with Firefox. So I loaded in Safari and it worked fine. Not being to much of a geek, that solved my problem and so  I just use Safari 3.1.2 on Leopard 10.5.5 and it works a treat. I have tried a number of applications over the last 3 years, and have to say thank you to the community that developed SABnzbd+. This is a simple and powerful program to use. All you need. Now if I could just get ADSL2+ life would be grand.

Two thumbs up!!

Didn't know where else to say thanks, eh.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

Is there a mismatch between "localhost" and 127.0.0.1 ?
IPV6-enabled systems often map "localhost" to the IPV6 address [::1], which is not equivalent to 127.0.0.1.
lowfi

Post by lowfi »

i have the .app in my login items... the first time however the webinterface is not loaded. I always need to stop and run it again....

Seems like a similair problem?

edit: osx 10.5.5 sab beta 4.5
switch

Post by switch »

lowfi wrote: i have the .app in my login items... the first time however the webinterface is not loaded. I always need to stop and run it again....

Seems like a similair problem?

edit: osx 10.5.5 sab beta 4.5
Your problem is probably do to your selected hostname not being ready right at startup. Try using a host of 0.0.0.0 in config>general
rAf

Post by rAf »

lowfi wrote: i have the .app in my login items... the first time however the webinterface is not loaded. I always need to stop and run it again....
Maybe it's just a question of timing... if you app is in your logging items, your browser may take too much time to load and the webinterface is not loaded...
Try to add your browser in login items too or type sab url (http://host:port/sabnzbd) manually in your webbrowser when loaded.

Hope it helps. 
lowfi

Post by lowfi »

No that is not it...

I have "auto_browser = 0" and my browser is already in login items. When everything is loaded (no more rattling hdd) and i try to go to webinterface i get a server not responding or similair message. Stop and start sab again and it works. This is only after a fresh boot.

Had this in previous versions aswell. I use a macpro btw. I could try to make an applescript which first adds a delay before opening sab.

Anyhoe it is not a big issue and maybe it is just my silly computer :P  Ill try a few things :)
Last edited by lowfi on November 4th, 2008, 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

It is possible that SABnzbd is started too early.
It asks the operating system for the host address of the system, if it gets wrong info
then it will not work.
Setting the web-address to 127.0.0.1 is the safest option (safer even than localhost).

Even so, I can imagine that if SABnzbd is started before the TCP/IP stack is running,
it would be a problem anyway.
Last edited by shypike on November 5th, 2008, 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
interfacelift

Post by interfacelift »

If the OP is using the SABnzbd for OS X, which runs as an Application, it will be launched when the user logs in (or is auto logged in). That occurs after the TCP/IP stack is loaded, which happens soon after the kernel and kernel extensions are loaded.

I need to see if this happens on my iMac, but seeing as though I only reboot it about once every two or three months, I'll have to do it when I have a bit of down time.