Slow Browsing

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
h8uthemost

Slow Browsing

Post by h8uthemost »

Hi everyone,

I just tried Sabnzbd, and so far, I am loving it. I was always using Alt.Binz in Windows. But I've been searching for a newsreader that runs natively in Ubuntu. I've tried Pan and Hellanzb. But I didn't really like either of them.

Sabnzbd has an interface that I'm used to. So I would really like to stick with it. But...while sabnzbd is running, my browsing becomes sluggish. Anyone else experience this?

I'm using the lastest Firefox, and the lastest Ubuntu. If anyone knows if there's some kind of way to speed up browsing while running sabnzbd, then that would be great.

Thank you for any help.
switch

Re: Slow Browsing

Post by switch »

Your browsing in general becomes sluggish? or just the sabnzbd site. Sabnzbd shouldn't interfere with any other websites that are loaded.

If it is just sabnzbd being slow, do you have a massive queue, as in over 100 nzb's in the queue.
inpheaux
Administrator
Administrator

Post by inpheaux »

switch wrote:If it is just sabnzbd being slow, do you have a massive queue, as in over 100 nzb's in the queue.
And if this is the case, try using Plush and the feature it has for limiting how much of the queue it displays.
h8uthemost

Post by h8uthemost »

Thank you for the responses guys.

And yes, the overall browsing became sluggish. Not Sabnzbd+ though. But now, my browsing seems to be fine. I have limited my refresh rate from 5 seconds to 1 minute. 1 minute is enough for me. And I've tried all skins, and my browsing has been fine with all skins. I was thinking that maybe it was the skin I was using, or the quick refresh rate. Whatever it was, it's not doing it now. My browsing is just as quick as it is without Sabnzbd running.

Has anyone else ever experienced slow browsing with Sabnzbd running before?

I do have another question though. And instead of opening a new thread I thought I would just ask here. This is for the people that are familiar with Linux(Ubuntu specifically). The default download complete folder for Sabnzbd in Ubuntu is ddownloads/complete.

Now, on my desktop is where I store all my downloads. On my desktop there is a folder named Downloads. And inside that folder is another folder named Newsgroup Downloads. So...I want Sabnzbd to put all the completed downloads into that Newsgroup Downloads folder. So to do this, what do I type in Sabnzbd?

I tried typing /home/my userrname/desktop/Downloads/Newsgroup Downloads/. But that didn't work. So I then tried just /my username/desktop/Downloads/Newsgroup Downloads/, and that didn't work either. So what exactly should I put into the folder field in Sabnzbd? I'm new to linux, so I'm still unclear on a lot of things. What would really be nice, if in the folder field in Sabnzbd, there was a Browse button, where you could just browse to folder that you want the downloads to be saved in.

EDIT: Ok, I figured out I have to spell desktop with a capital D. So the downloads are now going in the folders where I want. And, I've been browsing and downloading with the Plush skin set to 4 seconds, and my browsing has still been fine. So whatever it was that was causing slow browsing before is gone.

I think I like the default skin the best. But...the speeds doesn't refresh if you keep the skin on the Home tab. Does the speeds only refresh when the skin is on the Connections tab?

Thanks for the help.
Last edited by h8uthemost on November 10th, 2008, 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

Are you sure it's a real path and not some simulation?
Try using the terminal window to find out the real path.

Browsing for a folder is not possible, there's not a single web browser that supports that.
Only browsing for files works.
vdb

Post by vdb »

I've got my Queue-refreshrate set to 5 sec.
When the queue-tab is onscreen in one window,
my firefox also refreshes all the other windows (in which I'm just surfing)
That kinda slows it down for me... but that may not be your problem...