Newzbin RSS feeds - different from search results

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Flambard

Newzbin RSS feeds - different from search results

Post by Flambard »

I've noticed something odd with Newzbin searches and RSS feeds. I'm using a script found here on this board to pull out TV shows from a Newzbin RSS, but find the RSS is not the same as the Search I set up.

I have set up a custom search which lists all TV in formats divx, xvid or wmv between certain size limits. When running the search directly, it works fine & displays the result I would expect.

However, if I open the RSS link from the same search I lose a lot of results. I understand that the RSS feed is limited to 100 results, but the feed is missing a lot of results from the "top" of the list when viewing the search directly. They are both sorted by date added.

For example, in my search I will have something like :

Show 1, Ep 1
Show 1, Ep 2
Show 1, Ep 3
Show 2, Ep 12
Show 3, Ep 7
Show 3, Ep 8

...but for some reason Show 2, Ep 12 is not in the RSS even though it may be very close to the top of the list in the search results.

Has anyone else seen this, or know how/why it happens? I've logged a ticket on the Newzbin site to see if they can help.
Flambard

Re: Newzbin RSS feeds - different from search results

Post by Flambard »

I had a brainwave on the way home from work & realised what was happening...  :)

The default display order for Newzbin searches is newest post first, but the RSS feed is sorted by newest report first. As the RSS is limited to 100 results, quite often the lists are very different.

Nothing to see here, move along!