SABnzbd and Newsgroup Provider Login

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
puulima67

SABnzbd and Newsgroup Provider Login

Post by puulima67 »

My newsgroup provider (Astraweb) has told me I can login from only one IP address at a time. Since I travel a fair bit, I want to setup my HTPC at home to run SAB all the time - BUT only download during the day. I will launch SAB on my laptop while travelling in the evenings only.

What I can't figure out is how SAB goes about "logging into" Astraweb? IE: when is it logged in? If SAB is running but idle (PAUSED) - does that mean I'm NOT logged into Astraweb? Does it matter if there is something in the queue that's partially downloaded and it's paused? Can someone explain how/when SAB "logs into" the newsgroup provider. I've searched/Googled and can't find anything to explain what goes on in the background.

Hope this makes sense...thanks for your help
inpheaux
Administrator
Administrator

Re: SABnzbd and Newsgroup Provider Login

Post by inpheaux »

SABnzbd only keeps open connections to Astraweb during active downloading. If SABnzbd is paused, all connections should clear out immediately. If you don't believe this, you can test it yourself, by watching what happens on the connections page ( /sabnzbd/status/#tabs-connections ) right after you hit pause.

Also, you can use SABnzbd's scheduler to control pause/resume, so that process will be automated for you.
puulima67

Post by puulima67 »

Cool. Thanks for the feedback, that's what I expected was going on...but wasn't sure how to test/confirm. I've played around with the scheduler for a friend who can only download between 2am-8am due to his ISP's throttling of DL speeds during the day...so that will work for me.

Thanks again!
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

inpheaux wrote:SABnzbd only keeps open connections to Astraweb during active downloading. If SABnzbd is paused, all connections should clear out immediately. If you don't believe this, you can test it yourself, by watching what happens on the connections page ( /sabnzbd/status/#tabs-connections ) right after you hit pause.
Actually this is under control of an option (Config->Switches->Disconnect on empty queue)
The default is what you describe.
Note that Astraweb is a bit allergic to the default setting.