What version of windows to use for a home NAS

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
mkygod

What version of windows to use for a home NAS

Post by mkygod »

I'm finishing up a home NAS and mediaserver and I want to use a version of windows that is best suited for this task.

I'm currently considering between these three: Windows 7, Windows 2008, Windows homeserver 2011.

The NAS is going to be holding and sharing almost all of my media Music/TV/movies and will also act as a download machine for use with SANZBD/CP/Headhones/Sickbeard.
I'll also be running services such as PLEX and Subsonic server on it at the same time, streaming things locally and over the internet.

Previously I had all these services on my main computer, but It got to be too much. Any help is appreciated.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Re: What version of windows to use for a home NAS

Post by shypike »

As far as the software you name is concerned, any of the listed Windows versions will do.
For NAS purposes, both server versions will probably be better than Windows 7.
kevingregg

Post by kevingregg »

Please think about unRAID for your server OS. It runs all those apps you listed as "plugins". I have 9TB unRAID 5.0.6 server and am very happy with it.
mkygod

Post by mkygod »

I want it to run Windows programs as well. Some of my services are Windows based programs.

I went with Windows 8.1 and its working out well so far on my 6 drive 17 TB system.