AstraWeb

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
mike171562

AstraWeb

Post by mike171562 »

Hello, I just starting using sabnzbd recently and having problems with speeds, originally I was using all of the free servers i could find and my speeds were bouncing from 30K up to 1000K, I have a 50M comcast cable connection. I decided to sign up for Astraweb's unlimited 1Mb account, and set them up in my Sabnzbd, I removed most of the free servers and was using Astraweb and one other, and my speeds dropped to a consistant 50K, i tried various ports and w/SSL off and on and the result is about the same, does anyone else use Astraweb and what speeds do you get??
interfacelift

Re: AstraWeb

Post by interfacelift »

I have astraweb and have no problems maxing out my Comcast 6.25mbit (800kbytes/sec) connection.

I'm using astraweb with SSL w/SABnzbd 0.4.11 on my Mac.
mike171562

Post by mike171562 »

Hi, are you using Astraweb with any other servers or alone? is your speed consistant? also, which astra web server are you using and which port? Thanks.

BTW, I am using a new quadcore Dell machine running Ubuntu and Sabnzbd 4.11.  Should i try port forwarding on my router?
interfacelift

Post by interfacelift »

Astraweb alone. No major drops in speed unless I'm downloading stuff at the outer reaches of retention (250+ days). Since they're outgoing connections, there's no need to forward ports.

Host/IP: secure.news.astraweb.com
Port: 563
# Connections: 10
Timeout: 120
SSL Encrypted: checked
mike171562

Post by mike171562 »

I removed all other servers and used those same settings and I get

Download speed: 167.39 KB/s

what the heck is going on?
interfacelift

Post by interfacelift »

Try it without SSL, see if it improves.

Are you downloading something relatively recently posted?
mike171562

Post by mike171562 »

Yes, i have tried with and without SSL and with different ports, I even tried the europe server. The Nzb files im getting are from nzbmatrix and are all fairly recent. The only way for me to get higher than 100K is to mix in a few of the free servers then the connection bounces around, but i can get over 500K. i emailed Astraweb support, but havent heard back.

Whats the point of using a pay server if i can get faster speeds with free ones?
Last edited by mike171562 on June 5th, 2009, 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
switch

Post by switch »

mike171562 wrote: ... I decided to sign up for Astraweb's unlimited 1Mb account ...
You signed up for the wrong astraweb plan. That plan limits the maximum download speed to 1Mbit which is 125KB/s

The plan you probably meant was the $11 special located here: http://www.news.astraweb.com/specials/kleverig-11.html
mike171562

Post by mike171562 »

aww crap really? I wonder if they'll swith me
mike171562

Post by mike171562 »

Switch, you were correct, i signed up for the special unlimited and speeds shot up to 664.11 KB/s, thanks for the help.
joshua
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by joshua »

I've been a giganews customer for years but was thinking about switching to something a little cheaper if the competitiion has caught up... In general, are people pretty happy w/ AstraWeb vs. Giganews?  $11/mo seems a lot cheaper than $25
wyd1
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by wyd1 »

joshua wrote: I've been a giganews customer for years but was thinking about switching to something a little cheaper if the competitiion has caught up... In general, are people pretty happy w/ AstraWeb vs. Giganews?  $11/mo seems a lot cheaper than $25
No probs here, i'm happy with AstaWeb. Constant speed  8)