SABnzb Slow Download - After PC Reboot always OK

Report & discuss bugs found in SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
gibbywmu

SABnzb Slow Download - After PC Reboot always OK

Post by gibbywmu »

Hello,

For the past several months, I've noticed something strange going on. I always have to reboot my PC for SAB to start downloading at the normal speed. If I don't, d/l speeds are typically less than 1MB/sec. Normally I'm getting anywhere between 7MB-12MB/sec. I've tried uninstalling SAB, and reinstalling again. I've even tried uninstalling, then doing a reg clean to see if that takes care of it...........but, no luck. I've even tried "shutting down" SAB after I've grabbed something, still same issue.

Lets say I grab something around 12pm that day. If I go back later that day and grab something again, usually no issues..........but, if its even a day later, or even several days later, I have to reboot the PC every single time or I'm getting these slow download speeds. Its almost like I'm being throttle down, makes no sense. When this happens, I even perform a speed test on the PC, and everything is completely normal. I have no idea whats going on! Extremely frustrating. I shouldn't have to reboot the PC every time! I'm beginning to wonder if this is some Firefox issue? That's what I use for browsing.

If anyone has any idea, please let me know. Also, what PC info do I need to provide, if any.

Windows 7 HTPC
Newest Version of SAB (not the beta)
Latest Vesion of Firefox

Thanks!
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Re: SABnzb Slow Download - After PC Reboot always OK

Post by safihre »

Strange issue. So in between grabbing, it's not downloading anything?
Do you use a VPN or Proxy?
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
gibbywmu

Post by gibbywmu »

Sahifre,

Yes very strange. So yes, in between downloading, there is something hidden going on. No idea. No VPN or Proxy being used.

Any other ideas? It's so annoying having to reboot the PC every time I wanna grab something 😡
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

Do you run SAB as a service? If so: does it also happen when you don't run as a service?

How many servers and how many connections to the servers do you use?
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
gibbywmu

Post by gibbywmu »

Not sure what you mean about running SAB as a service. I will have to verify how many connections but everything is default at this point....

There's got to be something that is going on in the browser or else where there is throttling this connection until I reboot.
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

It sounds like something specific to the device, if even just restarting Sab doesn't fix it. When you do a speedtest in your browser, do you still get full speed at those slow times?
gibbywmu

Post by gibbywmu »

Yes, also have performed speedtest during the SAB issue, and found that it was completely normal. I will try and verify that once again in the next couple of days here. In the meantime, here are the info you needed attached regarding servers and connections.

Do I need to edit any of this info?

safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

Very strange.. Like Windows would only throttle Sab.. But why.
gibbywmu

Post by gibbywmu »

Safihre,

Today I had the same issue.....its got to be something in windows. Computer was acting slow, and speed test was only getting about 30 Mb/s...couldn't even use Plex because the connection was bad. Rebooted and speed test was around 189 Mb/s.................so, I really don't think its SAB. Pretty sure its some spyware/malware. I downloaded Malwarebytes and Rogue Killer, ending up zapping out some PuP's. Not 100% sure the spyware is doing it, but I'd say there is a pretty good chance. Update Ethernet Adapter just in case, to rule that out. I've got Task Manager up now, I'll give it another shot tomorrow and grab something to see if its still happening.
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

Good, let's see!
gibbywmu

Post by gibbywmu »

Sahifre,

Performed another test today. Had grabbed something the previous day and had to do a reboot as usual. So, this was after about 24hrs. Had pretty good d/l speeds through Google speed test, around 170Mb/s. Got on to try and grab something, was getting max 1MB/s speeds through SAB. So confused! I have no idea whats throttling it.

What other tests can I do that you can think of to stop from having to reboot every single day?
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

Not sure at this point.. You can try to use the scheduler within SABnzbd to at least let it re-start SABnzbd on schedule.
MiG

Post by MiG »

Had a similar thing. For some reason I was unable to get more than two active connections for a few days, even though the server in question has about 20 set, and it has been operating normally in this configuration for a long time.
Download speed dropped from ~25MB/s to 4MB/s because of it, provider has no known issues (at least for as far as their helpdesk is aware) and bandwidth outside of SAB was still an unadulterated 200 Mbit. Also for some reason the problem disappeared on its own tonight, got my connections back. Decided to post in case there's a pattern.
SAMiAM

Post by SAMiAM »

Not sure if this is still active but I have been having this issue with SABnzbd for years on Windows 7 through 11 and updated SABnzbd many times. I even set my PC up to reboot automatically every 24 hours to help. Rebooting Windows seems to be the only solution so far. I have not found any other fixes so far.

I can confirm that it only happens when SABnzbd has been actively downloading. Never otherwise so it is definitely the cause. I use 50 connections to max out my speed at 100 Mb/s. It is not only SABnzbd that slows down it slows other things in Windows also - mouse less responsive and Windows Explorer gets slower also. It is like SABnzbd does not let some resources go after actively downloading.
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

You can blame Sab of course, but it might just be other system components that saturate after a certain time. For example SSD or network drivers.
Is Sab using excessive memory? Probably not right?