Slow Speeds under proxmox, though the VM is getting 1Gbps.

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
odinvyn

Slow Speeds under proxmox, though the VM is getting 1Gbps.

Post by odinvyn »

Hey guys, I realize that this is most likely due to running in a VM, but I am getting some results that I still think should be higher than they are.

I am running Sabnzbd docker container under a Ubuntu Server 20.04.1 LTS virtual machine on proxmox. on this vm, if I run a speedtest I get just under 934Mbps consistently.

My Status page shows:

Pystone: 202265
Download folder speed: 301.2MB/s
Complete folder speed 296.5MB/s
Internet Bandwidth: 36.4 MB/s (291.2Mbps)

I've seen answers before stating that is most likely IO limitations from the VM. but because of speedtest I get from the VM outside of docker, I am confused how sabnzbd is only getting 1/3 of what the "Host" is able to achieve, especially since the host has great write speeds and a great pystone. Is that how much Sabnzbd gets affected by being run in a vm, even if the VM is capabale of Gigabit speeds? I am trying to avoid running sabnzbd on bare metal as much as possible as I just switched over my server infrastructure to proxmox, and am using all of the computers capable of the reccomended Pystone numbers.

any help would be appreciated, or any troubleshooting tips to figure out the discrepency between the docker container and "host". Or if it's as simple as "VM can't handle IO" thats also acceptable, just the posts I saw from that answer were a year or more old. (unless I missed some), and I'm hoping for the best!
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Slow Speeds under proxmox, though the VM is getting 1Gbps.

Post by safihre »

When you do the 1Gb test download, what speed do you get?

You can also try to use 3.2.0Beta2, then in Config Specials at the bottom set the downloader_sleep_time to 0. Could you report if that helps if you try it?

There have been instances where some cpu optimizations we use have negative effects on VM situations.
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
smailpouri

Post by smailpouri »

Hi,

I seem to have the same problem.

Running Sabnzbd 3.7.0 [b6fd915] on docker macOS Ventura 13.0.1, Docker Desktop 4.14.0 (91374).
0.31 | 0.58 | 0.50 | V=107M R=80M
System performance (Pystone) 220927 Linux-5.15.49-linuxkit-aarch64-with NEON
Download folder speed 473.5 MB/s /data/incomplete-downloads
Complete folder speed 733.9 MB/s /data/downloads
Internet Bandwidth 6.2 MB/s 49.6 Mbps

Running Sabnzbd 3.7.0 [b6fd915] directly on the same machine Apple Macmini M1.
System performance (Pystone) 689664 Apple M1 NEON
Download folder speed 1918.7 MB/s /Users/ZZZ/Downloads/incomplete
Complete folder speed 1998.7 MB/s /Users/ZZZ/Downloads/Complete
Internet Bandwidth 33.5 MB/s 268 Mbps

in Docker:
CPUS: 7 out of 8
Memory 8GB out of 16GB
Swap: 4GB

If I allocate all CPUs and one of my docker containers is doing something intense. the entire system is slow. So sticking to 6 or 7 seems to do the trick.

I tried to change downloader_sleep_time to 0 for sabnzbd in docker but I was not able to access the GUI after doing that.

Any ideas?
Up until recently, I was getting full-speed downloads on sabnzbd docker.

Assuming something has changed between updating to macOS Ventura to Docker recent updates to 4.14.

Any ideas?
Last edited by smailpouri on November 16th, 2022, 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smailpouri

Post by smailpouri »

Seems like if I choose 6 CPUs or 8 in docker resources instead of 7 I yield better results at around 20.4 MB/s (163.2 Mbps) it's not full speed, but it's better.
I was definitely getting full speed at around 45-49 MB/s before recent updates.

Now I don't know if it's related to Docker, sabnzbd, or macOS update, or maybe all combined together.

EDIT:
Nope, after trying a full download, the speed went back to around 9/10 MB/s. it's like there is a cap somewhere.

EDIT2:
I noticed my system memory was under pressure. Lowered Docker to 6GB out of 16GB. help me go back up to 21 MB/s
I have this option enabled in Docker as well, not sure if its related.
Enable VirtioFS accelerated directory sharing
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

Why not just run it as the macOS app? I spent a lot of time to make a special M1 version that's specifically compiled for it.
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

FWIW:

Another person with docker on non-Linux host OS reported slow speeds: https://www.reddit.com/r/SABnzbd/commen ... ke_really/

My hypothesis: Docker on non-Linux host OS means two layers of NAT: from docker to linux VM, and from linux VM to host OS (MacOS in your case). As the NAT is not hardware optimized, it means lower bandwidth.

So like Safihre suggests: run native SAB app on MacOS. The M1/M2 are power beasts, as your numbers show.