"Not enough repair blocks", but same NZB file can be successfully downloaded with other program

Report & discuss bugs found in SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.

"Not enough repair blocks", but same NZB file can be successfully downloaded with other program

Post by Alter »

SABnzbd repeatedly fails to download & repair a certain NZB file. The error message is: "Not enough repair blocks".

However, Usenapp (a usenet client for Mac) is able to successfully download, repair and unpack the very same NZB file.

I'm using SABnzbd-3.4.2-osx on Mac.

Excerpt from log file:

Code: Select all

INFO::[newsunpack:1497] Reparatur fehlgeschlagen. Nicht genug Reparatur-Blöcke vorhanden (496 zu wenig)
I could send you the NZB file via email, so that you can reproduce the problem yourself. If you want me to do that, please tell me your email address.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Re: "Not enough repair blocks", but same NZB file can be successfully downloaded with other program

Post by sander »

you can mail the NZB to [email protected] . Make sure you put the URL of this thread in the mail.

But ... the download result might depend on newsserver settings, so the problem might not be reproducible by someone else.

Re: "Not enough repair blocks", but same NZB file can be successfully downloaded with other program

Post by Alter »

Thank you. I've just sent the mail. Let's hope the problem will be reproducible also with other newsserver settings. Let's see ...
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

Received it. That is an NZB full of garbage, strange names and missing stuff.

Having said that:

I can reproduce on SABnzbd: "Repair failed, not enough repair blocks (496 short)"
And ... I can easily manually repair ("par2repair itn-blabla.s01e01.1080p.vol000+01.par2") and unrar, and get a nice resulting file.

So ... what is SAB doing different? What I see: SABnzbd issues a par2 with all files in the directory as parameters. Maybe that causes confusion to par2? Let's try: combine two par2 sets in one command

Code: Select all

par2 v   itn-blabla.s01e01-1080p-subs-subs.par2     itn-blabla.s01e01.1080p.vol063+63.par2

Repair is required.
4 file(s) are missing.
2 file(s) are ok.
You have 7 out of 15 data blocks available.
You have 4 recovery blocks available.
Repair is not possible.
You need 4 more recovery blocks to be able to repair.
... I would say the run is poissoned by itn-blabla.s01e01-1080p-subs-subs.par2 because that par2 set is unusable.
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

I also checked the NZB, and it is indeed a bit of a mess.
There are multiple par2-files in the download, most of them SABnzbd is somehow able to process.
But, there is also the "zed17086" set of par2 files, which do not match to any of the files in the NZB. So that is actually the error shown, as it can't repair this fake set..
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate

Post by Alter »

The NZB file is the result of a search for a certain search term, and indeed it may contain some garbage (unnecessary stuff belonging to a similar, but different post).

On the other hand, as I said, Usenapp retrieves the relevant file "itn-XXXXXX.s01e01.1080p.mkv" without any complaint. (I replaced a part of the file name with XXXXXX.) From a user's perspective, at the end of the day, the only thing that really matters is to get this file.
It would be great if SABnzbd could do that as well.
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

I will brainstorm if we can do something about this, detect fake par2 sets. But it's a bit tricky, when is a par2 set a bad one and when is it something the user did want but all files are missing? Seems the other program just doesn't care.
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate

Post by Alter »

Thank you very much for your efforts! Hoping that you find a good solution.

Post by Alter »

For what it's worth, NZBGet also downloads and repairs the NZB file without any complaints (but you have to manually unpack "itn-XXXXXX.s01e01.1080p.r00" from the intermediate directory -- which is not so nice).
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

Alter wrote: December 28th, 2021, 5:44 am For what it's worth, NZBGet also downloads and repairs the NZB file without any complaints (but you have to manually unpack "itn-XXXXXX.s01e01.1080p.r00" from the intermediate directory -- which is not so nice).
In nzbget's logging, can you see what the par2 command is? With with parameters and filenames?
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

@sanderjo there is no problem for Sab to repair the files, it just doesn't because it fails to repair the other broken set.

If you just disable Post process only verified jobs, in Config Switches, I think this download will also proceed. Not tested yet.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

safihre wrote: December 28th, 2021, 7:02 am If you just disable Post process only verified jobs, in Config Switches, I think this download will also proceed. Not tested yet.
I tried, but it results in the same "Repair failed, not enough repair blocks (496 short)"

Post by Alter »

sander wrote: December 28th, 2021, 6:50 am In nzbget's logging, can you see what the par2 command is? With with parameters and filenames?
I've sent you the NZBGet log via email (since it may contain sensitive information)

Post by Alter »

Sorry, my previous statement that NZBGet made no complaints when downloading and repairing the NBZ was wrong. Actually, there are warnings and errors.

Post by Alter »

Anyway, as a user, I'm not so much interested in warning messages. The only thing that's important to me is that I end up with the file "itn-XXXXXX.s01e01.1080p.mkv" in my download folder. From that point of view, Usenapp gets the job done.