Docker sabnzbd+ Config Volume Maps but sab fails to run

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
stuzsabnab

Docker sabnzbd+ Config Volume Maps but sab fails to run

Post by stuzsabnab »

Hi All,
Been using sab for ages and until recently used the atomic toolkit. Switching to use docker images/containers.

So I have sab up and running and I have mounted volumes for the categories I want and that seems to work fine. I can search and download stuff ok.

I had the idea to mount the /config folder to a NAS volume too so that i'd always have an up to date copy on my sab ini file and I'd just be able to remount the volume if I port the container to something else other than my qnap nas. And the default locations are in /config/Download, I thought it wold be neater to have it all on the NAS - visible, so I can clear out incomplete like you occasionally have to do.

The container loads and the volume is mounted, if I manually change the ini file inside the container, its reflected in the externally bound mount etc.

To mount the volume I copied the entire /config folder to my nas drive location and I set the permissions to RWX for UGO .

BUT - bloody sab does not start!! No logs, nothing.

Has anyone done this before and got it working?

Now I had the idea and spent some time poncing around with it, I kinda want it to work, it seems like it should.

Gotchas would be much appreciated :)

Ta

Stu
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Re: Docker sabnzbd+ Config Volume Maps but sab fails to run

Post by sander »

I would start the other way around:

Start a plain SABnzbd docker, without any config or settings or specials.
Check it runs (and it will)
And build up from there
stuzsabnab

Post by stuzsabnab »

Yeah I did that first, so I could figure out what i could do with docker 'n all that.

If I remove the volume I added for the /config, it works again.

AFAIK, if you create a bind over and existing folder, all your original files are masked by the layer and you'll see the docker volume. That seems to be working but sab won't start and it doesn't log anything.

I'll skip that attempt for now, it would be nice to know generally if I'm beating a dead horse, as if it works, it will mean I'm automatically backed up to the NAS drive in terms of sabnzbd configs. i.e. no need for docker cp backup scripts!

Thanks for coming back to me though, it was not obvious from post post i'd done things in that order : )
stuzsabnab

Post by stuzsabnab »

Think I have it. User permissions.! I had set permissions to be what I "thought" should work, but for docker the users/group needs to match across the container and host.

I actually had to RTFM!

cheers

So I now have Sab with all the category folders I want mounted as volumes which are hardlinked back to the NAS in a "visible" location, or for the files to download back to the NAS shares where I want the files to end up. I know docker volume is technically on the NAS too but .....

The container /config dir is also now a bind volume so I can see sab logs and the ini file without having to get into the container.

Now onto, Radar, mylar, sonar etc!!