Unhandled exception in script: [WinError 5] Access is denied

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
the_Unforgiven

Re: Unhandled exception in script: [WinError 5] Access is denied

Post by the_Unforgiven »

sander wrote: June 20th, 2022, 1:15 am Maybe time for a fresh Windows install, and no cloning?
In my 1st post I wrote:-
"Cooee all
I have been using SABnzbd for yonks without problem, till now. My NVMe died so I used a HDD while a new NVMe was slowly coming in the mail. While I was waiting, I installed a new OS."

SABnzbd still works fine on my laptop. On my PC I will just continue to use NewsBin Pro. I prefer SABnzbd thou >:D
have a good 1 8)
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

And then you wrote " Eveything was fine until I cloned from HDD to NVMe"
the_Unforgiven

Post by the_Unforgiven »

sander wrote: June 20th, 2022, 2:04 am And then you wrote " Eveything was fine until I cloned from HDD to NVMe"
I see where I went wrong. I should have wrote ' While I was waiting, I installed a new OS' after that

The NVMe stuff up
I used the HDD I had as a back-up, but the clone was corrupted
So I installed a new OS while I was waiting for the new NVMe, on the HDD, and when the NVMe arrived, I will clone the HDD to the NVMe

I hope that clears it up, or I stuffed it up again. I am bad at this english stuff, they should have taught us Aussie >:D
have a good 1 8)
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

If you do fresh install of Windows, with a plain install of SABnzbd, I cannot imagine you get a "[WinError 5] Access is denied"
the_Unforgiven

Post by the_Unforgiven »

sander wrote: June 20th, 2022, 3:53 am If you do fresh install of Windows, with a plain install of SABnzbd, I cannot imagine you get a "[WinError 5] Access is denied"
Well that is what has happenned. SABnzbd is not the only software I have installed. I have 121 programs installed ATM. My record is ~600. I also have that WLAN AutoConfig problem ??? Sometimes shit happens, that is why they invented alcohol; I just make it & drink it >:D

What does "[WinError 5] Access is denied" actually mean?
have a good 1 8)
Puzzled

Post by Puzzled »

The permissions may be confused by using an old disk with a new install. Try to check and update them manually for the directories that are used.
the_Unforgiven

Post by the_Unforgiven »

Puzzled wrote: June 23rd, 2022, 6:19 am The permissions may be confused by using an old disk with a new install. Try to check and update them manually for the directories that are used.
I don't understand ???
If you are referring to me using an HDD to install the OS on & getting the errors. I now have my new NVMe installed & I cloned over the OS. I removed all traces of SABnzbd from that NVMe. I even did a registry search and I manually deleted all references that said 'SABnzbd'. I then ran a reg cleaner, re-booted my comp & re-installed SABnzbd. The errors that I got are the ones that I wrote last here. I don't know why I keep getting these errors. My laptop is fine. I never ever had problems with SABnzbd b4. It is a head scrather this one. Like I said b4, I wonder if it has something to do with me not being able to start 'WLAN AutoConfig'; I think there is something wrong in group policy with that one as it is fine in services.msc At least I can use NewsBin Pro to download my .nzb files
have a good 1 8)
Puzzled

Post by Puzzled »

The user that SABnzbd is running under does not have access to the directories and files it needs to use. When you reinstall Windows or SABnzbd over an existing filesystem or clone the filesystem with the broken permissions they will probably keep lingering. Either you have to find out why the permissions are broken or reinstall Windows to a freshly formatted disk so that it creates all directories with the permissions they are supposed to have. The wlan issue you describe may be caused by the same problem.
the_Unforgiven

Post by the_Unforgiven »

Puzzled wrote: June 23rd, 2022, 4:41 pm The user that SABnzbd is running under does not have access to the directories and files it needs to use. When you reinstall Windows or SABnzbd over an existing filesystem or clone the filesystem with the broken permissions they will probably keep lingering. Either you have to find out why the permissions are broken or reinstall Windows to a freshly formatted disk so that it creates all directories with the permissions they are supposed to have. The wlan issue you describe may be caused by the same problem.
There is only one user on that OS & it is me, the admin >:D I tried a few times ago; I have on my context menu 'Grant Admin Full Control' or "Grant Full Admin Rights'. That still did nothing but throw up the same error. I applied that to the folder in Program Files, but you can't grant admin rights to the registry ??? I just did a quick duckduckgo search & "I'm trying to launch a program, but it keeps telling me to please enable write access to the registry key using administrator account. I have tried but something is just not working." ??? So now I have some reading to do , and then re-install SABnzbd, and see if it works then. I will get back with the results. Got to keep this thread for prosperity :p
have a good 1 8)
the_Unforgiven

Post by the_Unforgiven »

I went to the registry and did the below fix to about 12 'Permissions' tabs, it is still the same :(

The fix below will give you full rights to that registry key
If you don't know your way around the registry, please don't try this
But if you want a go. In start, type 'regedit' & right click on it & select 'run as admin'; I always like to run things as admin anyway

a) Go to Start and type regedit in the search box and open it.
b) Locate the the registry key and right click on it.
c) Click on Permissions, and under Security tab, click on Advanced.
d) In the Advanced window, under Permissions tab, click on Add.
e) Type Everyone in the newly opened windows and click OK.
f) Set the permission as full control and click OK.
g) Under the Permissions tab, check for any deny option.
h) If there is any deny permission option in there, set the particular deny option and click on Remove.
have a good 1 8)
Puzzled

Post by Puzzled »

As I've been trying to explain I think it's a filesystem problem, not a registry problem. Filesystem permissions are edited by right clicking a file or directory, click Properties and then Security. I don't know where in the directory structure you have to go to fix anything as broken as this, though.
the_Unforgiven

Post by the_Unforgiven »

Puzzled wrote: June 24th, 2022, 7:28 am As I've been trying to explain I think it's a filesystem problem, not a registry problem. Filesystem permissions are edited by right clicking a file or directory, click Properties and then Security. I don't know where in the directory structure you have to go to fix anything as broken as this, though.
I think we did this on the first page ???
Anyway, I granted the programs file where SABnzbd is in 'Full admin Rights' by my right click context menu, but I still get the same error ::)
If I did not have soooo many other things to do, I would go & have a good crack at finding out why I can't get my WAN Config firing either :P
Too much to do & not enough time time to do anything. There would be more if I spept some.
Thanks for trying, haveagoodweekend >:D
have a good 1 8)