Problem with remaining free space detection

Report & discuss bugs found in SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
Thundereye

Problem with remaining free space detection

Post by Thundereye »

Hello,

I have a problem with sabnzbd.

I set the minimum free space for the Download Folder to 5GB via the Sabnzbd settings.
I also have Direct Unpack enabled.

For some Reason it seems not to work correct.

Downloading stops everytime if there is not at least twice the space of the file which is downloaded right now available.
Even if this is not neccessary because of Direct Unpack.
See screenshot:
https://ibb. co/SdHV6Fx

The File has 144GB .
81 are already Downloaded, 81 are already unpacked, so 60 GB are left for Downloading.
i have almost 80 GB free Space left, so downloading should continue until only 5 GB are left.
Why does it not behave like that?
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Problem with remaining free space detection

Post by safihre »

The algorithm is simple and only works if both Incomplete and Complete folder are on the same disk:
Say you have a 100GB download, in order to make that fit on 1 disk, you will need 200GB, even with Direct Unpack.
Because when the unpack is fully complete , we have 100 (source rar) + 100 (unpacked file) = 200GB of data. Only after it's complete the source rar's are deleted.
In case your unpack directory is on a different drive due to special Category settings, the minimum compleet free space detection does not work as you would expect.
This is also mentioned in the documentation: https://sabnzbd.org/wiki/configuration/3.6/folders
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
Thundereye

Post by Thundereye »

safihre wrote: August 30th, 2022, 8:09 am In case your unpack directory is on a different drive due to special Category settings, the minimum compleet free space detection does not work as you would expect.
My Unpack Directory is on the same Drive and Filesystem like the Download Directory.
The Category Folders are subfolders of these Directories.

It seems to me, that sabnzbd wants to have at least twice the size of what is already downloaded available, which cant be right in my opinion, if direct unpack is enabled.

example:
Download of 100G File.
Lets assume when the Downloaded File hits 80 GB (so 20 GB left) there is only 79 GB space left . in this case sabnzbd will immediately stop , because the filesize of what is already downloaded exceeds the remaining free space which would be needed for unpacking. If Direct Unpack is not enabled, this is correct.

But with Direct Unpack enabled , 80GB are downloaded and 80GB are already unpacked. So to complete the Downloading AND Unpacking, sabnzbd only needs 20 GB for the Download and 20 GB for unpacking. So if there is more than 40 GB of Space there will be no Problem.
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

No that's not how Direct Unpack works. It still requires twice the amount of space (for original files and unpacked files).
Like I said above, the source files are only removed after the whole of the unpack is completed. So at 80GB, we indeed need 160GB of total space.
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
Thundereye

Post by Thundereye »

I still dont think this is true..

If 80GB are downloaded , 80GB are already unpacked.
So 20 GB are left to be downloaded . But Free Space is smaller than what already has been downloaded (which should not be a problem, as those 80 GB are already unpacked and already cosnume 80 GB of additional space) .

so there is only the remaining bit of the file size needed twice.
so 100 GB File, 80 are already downloaded , so it consumes 80 GB for hte download and 80 GB for the Unpack . so the remaining 20 GB for the download also need additional 20 GB for the unpack..

So if there is more than 40GB Free space available it should continue.
Right now it is completely different. 80 GB are downloaded and unpacked =(160GB). 20 GB are left, but if the free space falls below what is already downloaded it stops . this is not neccessary, as the already downloaded stuff is unpacked while downloading and already consumes the diskspace..

If i force the download to continue it will download the remaining stuff without problem, because it doesnt need more free space than twice the remaining size .
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

Ah yes, you are right. My calculation assumes that Direct Unpack hasn't started yet, which of course is not correct.
Do you maybe have a Github account? If you create a bug report then the author of this patch can maybe fix it. Otherwise I can try to improve it myself later.
Thundereye

Post by Thundereye »

Hello,

I just created an Issue in Github!

https://github.com/sabnzbd/sabnzbd/issues/2299