Nothing downloading - unsure if sabnzbd or giganews?

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
MrAndyPuppy

Nothing downloading - unsure if sabnzbd or giganews?

Post by MrAndyPuppy »

Been using sabnzbd (and Giganews) for years and haven't encountered this issue so I am at a loss on how to troubleshoot. ANY help welcome.

ISSUE: Downloads just don't work for hours at a time.

SABnzbd version - 3.7.0 for Windows
News group server - Giganews (Diamond)

Over the past week, I've been experiencing a weird stoppage in downloads - SABnzbd just sits there, with no active connections. This has been increasing both in frequency and duration. Initially it was just a few minutes once a day or so (that I noticed). The most recent one was last night - stopped some time in the evening and was still stopped when I got up this morning - I'd say approximately 12 hours.

I have:
  • uninstalled and reinstalled SABnzbd. No effect.
  • downgraded SABnzbd to an older version that I know worked. No effect. (have re-upgraded)
  • deleted .ini files and done the 1Gb download test - worked and didn't work (see below)
  • checked my account status on Giganews - all in good standing
  • SABnzbd status - all IP stuff looks fine, download speed looks fine, connections when working look fine, connections when not working just show as zero.
  • SABnzbd config - test of Giganews server shows Successful
  • SABnzbd info/debug when not working - SOMETIMES shows timeouts, and SOMETIMES shows connection made but then does nothing with it.
1Gb download test
With my normal configuration/ini file - this just sat there and wouldn't download during one of the download/outage periods.
With resetting to a blank ini file as per troubleshooting - it downloaded fine (a little slow, but fine).

The latest sequence:
1. deleted ini files. Restarted.
2. went through startup wizard. Download 1Gb test. Worked.
3. restored ini files. Restarted.
4. added some files to download. First two downloaded immediately. Then all connections dropped, saw a timeout error in status and nothing.
5. go to settings, do a test connection - says successful.
6. go back to queue and it just sits there, silently, ominously, daring me to get angry.
7. wait... downloads a token amount (measured in bytes/sec) then stops again.
8. wait... pause downloads. resume downloads. Nothing.
9. connections made and downloads resume.

I just can't figure it out. I had a random thought that it might be when SABnzbd is interrogating Giganews for connections, I am somehow being connected to rogue mirrors and nothing is happening. The timeout error in status only appears SOMETIMES, other times no error appears.

Logs don't seem to help me - again, sometimes I see connections timing out, other times it just says connection made and then nothing.

As I said at the beginning - any help welcome to figure out what else I can try. And if people believe it might be a Giganews issue - I can follow up with them next!

Thanks!
jcfp
Release Testers
Release Testers

Re: Nothing downloading - unsure if sabnzbd or giganews?

Post by jcfp »

MrAndyPuppy wrote: November 19th, 2022, 10:52 amNews group server - Giganews (Diamond)
There have been reports that provider is having issues, https://old.reddit.com/r/usenet/comments/yxdvs8

Might want to get a trial account elsewhere to verify (and/or move providers permanently as todays giganews isn't the benchmark it used to be).
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

Do you only have newsserver (giganews)?

You can check sabnzbd.log (preferrably with DEBUG logging on) to see what is going on with "giganews".

The current behaviour of SAB with unreachable newsserver is not yet perfect, and it's being worked on.
MrAndyPuppy

Post by MrAndyPuppy »

Thanks both - I didn't get that reddit article pop up when I searched - super useful. I'll research other usenet providers and see what's what.