Permissions Issue with SABnzbd 3.7.0 update - Synology DSM6

Report & discuss bugs found in SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
SABfaninAus

Permissions Issue with SABnzbd 3.7.0 update - Synology DSM6

Post by SABfaninAus »

Hi there,

I had permissions issues with the update to SABnzbd 3.7.0 running on my Synology NAS. I'm running DSM 6.2.4 Update 6.

After updating to SABnzbd 3.7.0 (from 3.6.1), my complete folder was not writeable by SABnzbd.

More than this, another folder which is used by Deluge (and not by SABnzbd) was not writeable either. Hence, this update stopped my torrent client working until I manually fixed the permissions.

I've not had this problem with previous updates to SABnzbd and I always update to the latest version.

Can you please investigate and fix if necessary?

Folder structure and permissions after update:

For SABnzbd:

/Downloads/Usenet/complete <-- read only
/Downloads/Usenet/incomplete <-- read/write

For Deluge (v2.0.3)

/Downloads/Torrents/Complete <-- read only

Why did the SABnzbd installer change the permissions for /Downloads/Usenet/complete to read only when it was previously read/write?

Why did the SABnzbd installer change the permissions for the /Downloads/Torrents/Complete directory, which is nothing to do with SABnzbd?

Notes: Yes I know I'm running an older version of Deluge. I will update to Deluge 2.1.1 when I make the jump to DSM7, which is a project for the holidays. For the moment, this set-up is working nicely for me, so I'd like to keep running it for a few more months.

Thanks,
SABfaninAus
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Re: Permissions Issue with SABnzbd 3.7.0 update - Synology DSM6

Post by sander »

If you think it is caused by SABnzbd, can you do this:

downgrade to SAB 3.6.x, and verify that everything is working
then upgrade to SAB 3.7.0, and check if that reproduces the rights problems you describe.
SABfaninAus

Post by SABfaninAus »

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm reasonably confident the issue was caused by the install of SABnzbd 3.7.0. As soon as SABnzbd started up after the update, SABnzbd immediately started giving me errors in the web interface that the /complete folder was not writeable.

I would be happy to test but downgrading to 3.6.1 is not so simple. Package Centre will only offer the latest version and manually installing a package is beyond my meagre skills.

I have fixed the issue by manually giving sc-download read/write permissions to the necessary folders.

I posted here in case others had the same problem and/or the issue warranted investigation.

Thanks,
SABfaninAus
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

SABfaninAus wrote: November 19th, 2022, 11:51 am I posted here in case others had the same problem and/or the issue warranted investigation.
Yes, thanks. Let's see if other (synology) users experience it too.
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

This is how the SynoCommunity package works on DSM 6.
Synology made permission a huge pain in DSM 6, so on each install we set a base permission on the folders. This is the SynoCommunity package, not SABnzbd and it has done this for almost 2 years already, so nothing new. Deluge SynoCommunity package will do the same on update..
Just update to DSM 7 and things will be better.
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
SABfaninAus

Post by SABfaninAus »

Hi there,

A delayed follow-up for anyone interested. Updating to DSM7 (from DSM6) was relatively painless with SABnzbd. The only minor issue is that every time there's an update to SABnzbd, it reverts all of the folder locations to a default directory that I don't use.

The default location is set to Downloads/complete

I immediately changed this to MyNASshare/Downloads/Usenet/complete

However, every upgrade to SABnzbd reverts the folders back to Downloads/complete.

This didn't happen with DSM6.

For any Deluge users, the upgrade from DSM7 and Deluge 2.x has been pretty rough. The primary reason is that I download a lot of torrents with non UTF-8 filenames (especially East-Asian characters), which Deluge converts to dots. This has been reported as a bug here and I pray it will be fixed soon as it seriously cripples Deluge for me:

https://github.com/SynoCommunity/spksrc/issues/5448

Again, I had no issues with Deluge 1.2.x running on DSM6, which handled these characters just fine.

Hope this helps others.
SABfaninAus

Post by SABfaninAus »

A quick follow-up for anyone interested.

The latest update to SABnzbd (v3.7.2) still reverts the complete/incomplete folders to a location I don't use. Is there a way for the installer to not change the folder locations I've set-up? This wasn't an issue with DSM6.

In other news, there was an update to Deluge to v2.1.1-18, which has resolved this problem with torrents with non UTF-8 filenames.

Cheers,

SABfaninAus
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

It has to do with update logic intended for the conversion from DSM 6 to 7.
For the next release I'll get rid of that.
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
SABfaninAus

Post by SABfaninAus »

Hi all,

I'm delighted to report that this default folder issue is fixed with SABnzbd v4.0.1.

That is, when updating to the latest version of SABnzbd, the user-set locations for the complete/incomplete folders are not changed.

Thanks Devs!
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

Indeed it was removed from the package!