Schrödinger's error message: " Lost connection to SABnzbd.."

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
diamaunt

Schrödinger's error message: " Lost connection to SABnzbd.."

Post by diamaunt »

Hi, I'm having a problem that has been happening for a while (and by 'a while' I mean, probably since 3.(something), however, by and large, SAB just keeps trundling along in the background on my server, and I keep thinking "I'll do something about it later", I guess it's 'later'. Obviously, it's not OMG URGENT, but I'd like to make it better, if possible.

I keep getting the " Lost connection to SABnzbd.." screen, which goes away after a few seconds. repeatedly.

However the main sab process isn't dying, and there's nothing in the log (which is set to INFO level).

I don't know if it's a thread that's dying, or what, or even what to look at to try and figure it out

I just loaded 3.7.1.
I'm running it on Solaris 11.4 (strangely enough, it's still supported (ish)). it did the same thing on 11.3.
PHP 8.0.12 (which has come up from various versions, no change with SAB.

Downloading works, though it's not as fast as my internet provider alleges I'm paying for, but that's probably on the server end.

I've had it lose communications when I was trying to manually add nzb's, (using nzbhydra) necessitating repeatedly going through that process to get the ones missing.

The only real problem I'm seeing is the 'lost connection' seemingly spurious messages (and the problems manually adding a bunch of NZBs)

Sooooo, trying to do what the forum guidelines say, I turned on info/debug, and then watched the screen for 20-30 minutes (while watching a video in another window... not once did I see it pop up the 'lost communication' message.
Maybe it's.... fixed? color me suspicious.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Re: Schrödinger's error message: " Lost connection to SABnzbd.."

Post by sander »

So, this is about " Lost connection to SABnzbd.." ? I changed the subject accordingly.

This message is there when your webbrowser cannot reach the SAB webinterface anymore. Typical causes:

SAB is down, or crashed/restarting
SAB is too busy, or the hardware it's on is too busy
network problems between webbrowser and SABnzbd

About your hardware: while is not downloading etc, in SABnzbd's upper right corner, click on the wrench symbol ("Status and interface options"), then click on first tab Status, and there click on the Refresh Arrow. Post the values of the lower part here
diamaunt

Post by diamaunt »

This part?

Used cache
0 B (0 articles)
System load
2.87 | 2.93 | 2.93
System Performance (Pystone)
0 SunOS-5.11-i86pc-i386-64bit-ELF SSE2
Download folder speed
0 MB/s /f1/news/inproc
Complete folder speed
0 MB/s /av/new
Internet Bandwidth
0 MB/s 0 Mbps
Test download

after I clicked "repeat test" on the Pystone line, I got this:

Used cache
0 B (0 articles)
System load
2.88 | 2.92 | 2.93
System Performance (Pystone)
49561 SunOS-5.11-i86pc-i386-64bit-ELF SSE2
Download folder speed
44.6 MB/s /f1/news/inproc
Complete folder speed
70.7 MB/s /av/new
Internet Bandwidth
8 MB/s 64 Mbps
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

System Performance (Pystone) 49561 ... is very low. Lower than a 10 year old Celeron.
"System load 2.88 | 2.92 | 2.93" is high.

So indeed then your hardware can be the bottleneck (especially if SAB is busy is downloading/unpacking stuff)

And "i86pc-i386-64bit-ELF SSE2" ... what kind of CPU/hardware is that? Very old? Or emulated?
diamaunt

Post by diamaunt »

Twin dual core Opteron processors.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

diamaunt wrote: December 19th, 2022, 5:20 am Twin dual core Opteron processors.
A bit more CPU details would be nice for the statistics. The dual-core Opteron were made between 2005 and 2017, so just "Opteron" doesn't say much.

Oh, only SSE2 reported, not SSE3? So I'm guessing something from the 200x's ... ?
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

Note that SSE 2 is also reported if the CPU detection code can't figure out what exactly is supported or in case there's special restrictions for the hardware.
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
diamaunt

Post by diamaunt »

sander wrote: December 19th, 2022, 5:44 am
diamaunt wrote: December 19th, 2022, 5:20 am Twin dual core Opteron processors.
A bit more CPU details would be nice for the statistics. The dual-core Opteron were made between 2005 and 2017, so just "Opteron" doesn't say much.

Oh, only SSE2 reported, not SSE3? So I'm guessing something from the 200x's ... ?
I *think* they're Opteron 275 so that should be MMX, Extended 3DNow!, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, AMD64
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

Opteron 275 ... from 2005 / 2008. Yes, then I understand the low performance.

All clear now?
diamaunt

Post by diamaunt »

Well, no.

The system isn't heavily loaded, the system does many other things too, so are you saying that since 3.0, SAB is just so inefficient that it has to have late model hardware just to maintain connections with it's web interface?

Honestly, I guess that's part of why I delayed posting anything, the "go away, you're not mainstream" response.

Just for giggles, I compiled a copy of python 3.11.1, and running your pystone benchmark I got

Pystone(1.1) time for 50000 passes = 0.462417
This machine benchmarks at 108127 pystones/second

I'll see about using that one instead of the system version.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

diamaunt wrote: December 19th, 2022, 7:19 pm Honestly, I guess that's part of why I delayed posting anything, the "go away, you're not mainstream" response.
Not at all. Nothing wrong with 200x-hardware (or SUN) ... except for performance.

Good luck!
diamaunt

Post by diamaunt »

sander wrote: December 19th, 2022, 7:57 pm
diamaunt wrote: December 19th, 2022, 7:19 pm Honestly, I guess that's part of why I delayed posting anything, the "go away, you're not mainstream" response.
Not at all. Nothing wrong with 200x-hardware (or SUN) ... except for performance.

Good luck!
I was hoping for something other than "your stuff is slow, good luck"

But, I get what I get.
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

I guess Python just isn't using the right resources. But if you get double the score on the compiled one, that could be interesting.
Still strange that Download Speed is also listed at 8MB, or is that your internet speed?
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
diamaunt

Post by diamaunt »

safihre wrote: December 20th, 2022, 3:49 am I guess Python just isn't using the right resources. But if you get double the score on the compiled one, that could be interesting.
Still strange that Download Speed is also listed at 8MB, or is that your internet speed?
That puzzzled me too, I'm on 500/500 fiber to the house, and will routinely see 30-40MB downloads through SAB. I haven't seen it maxing out the speeds like when I was at 300/300. (I'd been happy enough at 75/75,till they called .e up and said that they were going to raise my rates unless I let them move me to a higher tier service since they did t offer the 75/75 any more. "Uh, ok, what's the catch?" "No catch" "uh, can I get that in writing?" "Yes". So, there I was, then they stopped offering the 300/300. Anyway, yes, I'll work on seeing if I can get my compiled version installed and see how SAB reacts.
Puzzled

Post by Puzzled »

An average load of almost 3 is quite high. If you can't do anything about that then see if you can give SABnzbd a higher priority. I think the reason why it sometimes doesn't respond quickly enough is that it's too busy doing other things. On Linux you can set CPU priority using nice and disk priority using ionice. I don't know anything about Solaris.