Failed downloads do not count towards quota?

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
derekantrican

Failed downloads do not count towards quota?

Post by derekantrican »

In my sabnzbd history there are a few failed downloads ("Aborted, cannot be completed" due to articles missing - likely an issue with the item on the server's end). The "Size" shown for each of these is "0 B". I'm assuming that is "size of the finished download" and not "size of the partial download that was aborted"? I don't yet have "proof" of this, but my data usage on different days according other software on my computer & my internet provider is different than what sabnzbd shows on those days and the only explanation I can come up with is that files were partially downloaded, then aborted.

If my assumption is correct, then this is a problem for me as the size of 0 bytes means that the download doesn't count towards the value I've set for the sabnzbd quota switch, and therefore my sabnzbd quota used is not actually reflecting what my internet provider shows for quota used.

Is this by design? Or can I change the sabnzbd quota to also include failed downloads as well?
zoggy
Release Testers
Release Testers

Re: Failed downloads do not count towards quota?

Post by zoggy »

size is the nzb job size.
what you download is from the servers which goes towards your quota

Code: Select all

Size: 411.4 MB

Download: Downloaded in 27 seconds at an average of 11.7 MB/s
287 articles were missing
Aborted, cannot be completed - https://sabnzbd.org/not-complete
Servers: SuperNews=323 MB, NGD=7 KB, Usenet.farm=4 KB, Astraweb (EU)=21 KB, Astraweb (US)=21 KB
so ~324 MB is what was downloaded for me
derekantrican

Post by derekantrican »

I retried one of my failed downloads and watched what happens. It looks like it downloads nearly the entire thing (about 1 GB) before failing again. The "Size" and "Servers" fields both show 0 B so there isn't any evidence of how much was downloaded before the failure and the quota usage also didn't change at all (478.8 GB Quota left before & after the download retry).

Recording:

safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

The qouta is calculated independent of job. Just every byte that comes in, we add to the qouta counter. No matter where it came from.
What you see in your clip is that we try every single article, but for all articles the server reports that data is missing. So only the bytes we received to tell us the data was missing (that's just around 300 bytes) is added to the quota.
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
derekantrican

Post by derekantrican »

I see. So it sounds like the "progress bar" in the recording above is not actually downloading, but rather "processing". Thanks for the clarification.

I have a network usage tool (NetTraffic) installed on this machine and it says I downloaded about 90 GB on April 4, but adding up the download sizes from my sabnzbd history on that day only totals to about half that - ~45GB.

I'll keep an eye on it and maybe install another network usage monitor to compare. Perhaps there's a different application that used a significant amount that I don't remember (NetTraffic can't do per-application stats)
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

derekantrican wrote: April 28th, 2023, 12:31 pm I see. So it sounds like the "progress bar" in the recording above is not actually downloading, but rather "processing". Thanks for the clarification.
Therefore it's in orange (articles not there), instead of the normal green.