Errors after enabling SSL: ssl.SSLZeroReturnError: TLS/SSL connection has been closed (EOF) (_ssl.c:997)

Support for the Debian/Ubuntu package, created by JCFP.
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
bruiserct

Errors after enabling SSL: ssl.SSLZeroReturnError: TLS/SSL connection has been closed (EOF) (_ssl.c:997)

Post by bruiserct »

Ubuntu 22.04
SABnzbd 4.0.0

I recently installed LetsEncrypt certificates. I setup the configuration under General and I am able to connect HTTPS without certificate errors. However, on the console and logs I get the following error. I am cutting out information as I am new user the forum is thinking I am posting "links" which is forbidden.

2023-05-03 19:13:19,665::ERROR::[_cplogging:213] [03/May/2023:19:13:19] ENGINE Error in HTTPServer.serve
<snip>
ssl.SSLZeroReturnError: TLS/SSL connection has been closed (EOF) (_ssl.c:997)

I am not sure what to make of it. All my packages seems to be current. Any help would be appreciated.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Re: Errors after enabling SSL

Post by sander »

can you post the log on pastebin.com , and post the URL here like pastebin . com / asdfu08asdf

Make sure SAB's logging is set to +Debug
bruiserct

Post by bruiserct »

Thanks for the suggestion. Below is the debug:

pastebin . com / 3UevEmuW
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

So https://pastebin.com/3UevEmuW

Did it also happen with the self-signed certificates?
Is the SAB webserver still reachable after the error?

Maybe useful: https://github.com/cherrypy/cheroot/issues/346 ... seems to be version dependent.

For Google reference

Code: Select all

2023-05-03 21:12:28,977::INFO::[notifier:123] Sending notification: Error - [03/May/2023:21:12:28] ENGINE Error in HTTPServer.serve
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/cheroot/server.py", line 1810, in serve
    self._connections.run(self.expiration_interval)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/cheroot/connections.py", line 201, in run
    self._run(expiration_interval)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/cheroot/connections.py", line 218, in _run
    new_conn = self._from_server_socket(self.server.socket)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/cheroot/connections.py", line 272, in _from_server_socket
    s, ssl_env = self.server.ssl_adapter.wrap(s)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/cheroot/ssl/builtin.py", line 277, in wrap
    s = self.context.wrap_socket(
  File "/usr/lib/python3.10/ssl.py", line 513, in wrap_socket
    return self.sslsocket_class._create(
  File "/usr/lib/python3.10/ssl.py", line 1071, in _create
    self.do_handshake()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.10/ssl.py", line 1342, in do_handshake
    self._sslobj.do_handshake()
ssl.SSLZeroReturnError: TLS/SSL connection has been closed (EOF) (_ssl.c:997)
 (type=error, job_cat=None)
bruiserct

Post by bruiserct »

I have tried the versiosn of python-cheroot with no luck. The webserver works fine, it just throws up that error on startup.

8.3.0+ds-1
8.6.0+ds1-3ubuntu1
9.0.0+ds1-2
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

bruiserct wrote: May 4th, 2023, 11:35 am The webserver works fine, it just throws up that error on startup.
OK. Well, maybe just accept & ignore it? Errors in cheroot cannot caught be by SABnzbd. Annoying.

The newest versions of all might help a bit.

PS: you did not answer my question about self-signed.

PS2: why do you enable HTTPS? Are you accessing SAB from Internet?
bruiserct

Re: Errors after enabling SSL: ssl.SSLZeroReturnError: TLS/SSL connection has been closed (EOF) (_ssl.c:997)

Post by bruiserct »

Sorry, I have not tried self signed.

It is not Internet facing, but like to have encryption enabled where I can and with non-self signed certificates.

Ya - It is annoying, maybe someone will see this thread and have another idea. Thank you for troubleshooting with me.
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Errors after enabling SSL: ssl.SSLZeroReturnError: TLS/SSL connection has been closed (EOF) (_ssl.c:997)

Post by safihre »

Unfortunately I don't think this will ever be fixed.
Cherrypy/cheroot seem near-dead projects.
Many others have also reported the same problem for already a while, but they just don't fix it.
https://github.com/cherrypy/cheroot/issues/517
I want to switch to a new framework for the webserver, but it's a lott of work and doesn't directly translate into anything for users. Except maybe getting rid of a few of these messages.
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
generica

Post by generica »

Given these packages rarely get updated and given I run this in a jail and can be a bit more cavalier, I just "fixed" this by patching the cheroot builtin py to return EMPTY_RESULT at the right spot.

I tried to be helpful and post the patch inline, but "New users are not allowed to post links", which I wasn't doing.
Oh god, I can't even type builtin DOT py. It thinks it's a URL, FFS

Anyway, it has been quiet since.
YMMV
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

generica wrote: January 21st, 2024, 6:38 pm Given these packages rarely get updated and given I run this in a jail and can be a bit more cavalier, I just "fixed" this by patching the cheroot builtin py to return EMPTY_RESULT at the right spot.

I tried to be helpful and post the patch inline, but "New users are not allowed to post links", which I wasn't doing.
Oh god, I can't even type builtin DOT py. It thinks it's a URL, FFS

Anyway, it has been quiet since.
YMMV
Yes, annoying, but needed for new posters to avoid spam Can you post it on pastebin and post the URL like pastebin . com / jdjdkjaldskf

Thanks