Unpacking suddenly very slow

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
andrewmoore

Unpacking suddenly very slow

Post by andrewmoore »

Hi all,

I have a gigabit internet connection, and usually that's the limiting factor in my download process. Downloads would direct unpack and by the time the download finished, they'd be unpacked and ready to go. There would pretty much never be jobs waiting in the unpack queue.

As of recently, I'm downloading significantly faster than I can unpack, by quite some margin. I end up with a large queue of files unpacking, often 10+.

Nothing has changed in terms of hardware or setup. Can't see any bottlenecks in terms of CPU, I have 4 cores allocated to the server and load average is usually 2.5-3.5. The only change has been I upgraded to 4.0.2 from 3.xx a few weeks ago.

Here are the performance test results:

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this? Thanks in advance.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Re: Unpacking suddenly very slow

Post by sander »

Just unpacking, or also repairing? Check for a fully unpack download: press on the dropdown arrow on the right

After all unpacking is done, and SAB is not doing anything anymore, I would do this:
* turn off DirectUnpack
* turn off Pause Downloading During Post-Processing
and then do the Wrench -> 10GB Test Download. Afterwards, post the info like below

Code: Select all

DownloadDownloaded in 38 seconds at an average of 27.9 MB/s
Serversnews6.eweka.nl=1.0 GB
Repair[sometestfile-1GB] Quick Check OK
Unpack[sometestfile-1GB] Direct Unpack - Unpacked 2 files/folders in 1 min 5 seconds
DeobfuscateDeobfuscate renamed 2 file(s)
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

In SABnzbd 4 we have sped up the download a lot, so now indeed your unpack might not keep up.
Why not reduce the speed a bit so your disk can keep up? Could be even a little.
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
andrewmoore

Post by andrewmoore »

Just found this line in the 4.0.3 release notes:
Direct Unpack could get stuck.
Perhaps I'm hitting that? As Direct Unpacks are just sitting at 100% and not moving to "Moving" or "Completed". The update isn't available in the apt repo yet unfortunately.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

andrewmoore wrote: August 5th, 2023, 7:38 am Just found this line in the 4.0.3 release notes:
Direct Unpack could get stuck.
Perhaps I'm hitting that? As Direct Unpacks are just sitting at 100% and not moving to "Moving" or "Completed". The update isn't available in the apt repo yet unfortunately.
If you suspect that: restart your SABnzbd.
SABfaninAus

Post by SABfaninAus »

I'm also experiencing this and it's a problem that just started with the most recent update.

I note that as each nzb download nears the end, the speed slows down from >12 MB/s to bytes/second. It's like SAB is having trouble completing the last part of each article it's downloading. Viewing the connections at the time, there are several articles just sitting there, which eventually complete.

This is happening with every download, so I don't think it's a problem with the server.

I think this is what is manifesting others to observe that unpacking is taking a protracted time when it is actually (in my observation) a problem with SABNZbd completing the download before it can finish the unpacking.

I'm running 4.0.3 on a Synology NAS.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

SABfaninAus wrote: August 5th, 2023, 11:04 pm I'm also experiencing this and it's a problem that just started with the most recent update.

I note that as each nzb download nears the end, the speed slows down from >12 MB/s to bytes/second. It's like SAB is having trouble completing the last part of each article it's downloading. Viewing the connections at the time, there are several articles just sitting there, which eventually complete.

This is happening with every download, so I don't think it's a problem with the server.

I think this is what is manifesting others to observe that unpacking is taking a protracted time when it is actually (in my observation) a problem with SABNZbd completing the download before it can finish the unpacking.

IMHO different problem

For you: Pause SABnzbd with big :play"-button in upper screen, wat 30 seconds, and unpause SABnzbd
TrexHasTinyArms

Post by TrexHasTinyArms »

SABfaninAus wrote: August 5th, 2023, 11:04 pm I'm also experiencing this and it's a problem that just started with the most recent update.

I started having this issue as well, it ended up being the provider. Some connections get stuck and don't download which is why force disconnect or pausing and unpausing works. If you watch the individual status of the files downloading, you will see it happens the entire time on different files but only is really noticeable when its the final ones. Hope this helps.
Monk3

Post by Monk3 »

RE: OP
This has just happened to me as well. It was from upgrading to 4.1.0 [b7e3401] . I had put off the upgrade for awhile just because, got another matching drive and was having probs with SAB and the completed folder. Tested the both old and new drives once I upgraded and both are taking a long time to unpack, it's not the drives... If you found a fix please let me know, I'm not that tech but I can configure if I have the steps; Can you just downgrade SABnzbd? I was happy with my previous version.