To VPN or Not VPN

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
Towerjockey007

To VPN or Not VPN

Post by Towerjockey007 »

Is it necessary to VPN if only using sabnzbd and no other client in the USA? Thank you for the reply.
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Re: To VPN or Not VPN

Post by safihre »

If you enable SSL for your server, it should be sufficient to hide the content you download. Externally it can only be seen that you connect to a newsserver but not what you get.
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
iUseNetter

Post by iUseNetter »

Towerjockey007 wrote: August 22nd, 2023, 8:48 pm Is it necessary to VPN if only using sabnzbd and no other client in the USA?
What exactly do you want to prevent using VPN?
That your source can see where you are (your IP is) located?
That your ISP can see the content you download?
That law enforcement agencies can collect evidences for illegal downloads?
Towerjockey007

Post by Towerjockey007 »

I'm just looking to be safe overall. Preventing outsiders from probing my network via public facing IP Address, Not wanting my ISP knowing or tracking what traffic I use or don't use frankly it's none of their business I pay for a service and that's all they need to know period. Law Enforcement is of no concern as I'm not breaking any laws and they honestly have better things to do anyways (coffee and donuts for one and chasing skirts for a second and puffing to look good or a news story as a third) so I'm way far down on that radar for anything on the internet LOL no I just don't want my computer attacked with tons of DOS attacks, ETC I'll probably just VPN just for the sake of my sanity as the expense of it is irrelivent compared to the ADHD I'd experience over it.
PandaWill

Post by PandaWill »

Using a VPN when using sabnzbd, or any other online service for that matter, is definitely a smart move for safety reasons. I don't know what others think, but for me, it's always a good idea to take precautions to safeguard your online activities.
I think this article explains best why you should use a VPN. But in short, because it hides your real IP address, it makes it challenging for hackers to target you. So, you can prevent various types of cyber attacks, including DDoS attacks, Man-in-the-Middle attacks, malware infections, session hijacking, and phishing attempts.