Faster UnPar and UnRar

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
ock462

Faster UnPar and UnRar

Post by ock462 »

I have a dedicated SABNZBD Server. HP DL380 G4 dual 3.4 Xeons, 4 Gig of ram, 6 300gig 10,000 RPM harddrives on a Raid-5, Windows Unified Data Storage Server 2003. I am having trouble with my unrar and unpar speeds. I can download faster than I can repair and extract (60Mbs Connection). Is there any tweaks I can do to improve the speed of extraction. My server doesn't go over 30% CPU when extracting. I also noticed that the unrar and unpar executables run at a low priority. I have also noticed that there is a few minute pause after the download is complete before the verily/unpar/extraction takes place.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Faster UnPar and UnRar

Post by shypike »

Running it with full prio will be a feature in the future.
The "minutes pause", I do not recognize. I don't see it on my much slower systems.
Are you sure it isn't just a page refresh problem? Which skin do you use?
ock462

Post by ock462 »

I figured out why the article sets queued for awhile before it takes action. After the download is complete the system shows there articles buffered in so many bytes. After the article is out of the buffer the verifying takes place. I have my buffer setup to 160MB.

Yeah I didn't know if there was perhaps a command line switch for the unrar and par programs that would start them in a higher priority mode.

Thank you for the help I am looking forward to the next release! Keep up the good work!
ziddey

Post by ziddey »

maybe consider getting an intel or indilinx ssd, and set up postprocessing to move it to your raid5 after it's done?

I've got a 45mbps connection and was having similar slowdowns, where multiple jobs downloading would cause par/rar to slow down terribly on completed downloads. since I've put in my x25-m g2, it's just ridiculous

par and rar are practically immediate. no dent from high IO's either
hpgin

Post by hpgin »

phew, sounds like you got a damm fast rig there!
ziddey

Post by ziddey »

as a rough example of ssd performance:

a 30 minute show (20some actual minutes), par takes roughly 1.3 seconds if by itself, and about 2.3s if there's other items being downloaded
rar takes about 0.1s and 4s respectively.

for an hour long show, par time is 2.6s with no other downloads, and rar 0.2s.
domianx

Post by domianx »

I only have a patriot ssd which kind of suck with io... Did u change any cache settings?
GrantR

Post by GrantR »

Par speeds on my Intel X25-m 160GB, for a 720p episode (around 1.09gb) is as follows:

Verified in 16.9s
Unpacked 1 files/folders in 16.8s

While downloading at 10mbit. Its worth noting i am using 64bit windows and a 64bit version of par and unrar, which makes a difference over running 32bit versions!

Not sure what operating system you have installed but if you have the choice, run the 64 bit versions...