VPN slow download error?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
RobbieReichel

VPN slow download error?

Post by RobbieReichel »

I am currently using Frugal with SSL enabled, and I'm also utilizing a VPN. I'm curious to know if this combination might be affecting my download speeds. Although I'm not yet confident enough to test it without the VPN, my current download speeds are averaging around 2-2.5 Mbps. Any insights or suggestions?
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Re: VPN slow download error?

Post by sander »

RobbieReichel wrote: December 27th, 2023, 2:06 am I am currently using Frugal with SSL enabled,
Although I'm not yet confident enough to test it without the VPN,
Why not? If it's inside SSL, nobody can see what you're downloading (only that you are downloading something)

So, first safe step:
* turn off VPN
* SABnzbd -> Wrench -> Status -> 1GB test download

... what is the speed?
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

Indeed, usenet is not torrents, if you use ssl for your newssever (the default setting) nobody can see what you are doing. There is no uploading either.
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
casares

Post by casares »

RobbieReichel wrote: December 27th, 2023, 2:06 am I am currently using Frugal with SSL enabled, and I'm also utilizing a VPN. I'm curious to know if this combination might be affecting my download speeds. Although I'm not yet confident enough to test it without the VPN, my current download speeds are averaging around 2-2.5 Mbps. Any insights or suggestions?
I’m using Frugal with SSL and a VPN, and I’m wondering if this is slowing down my downloads. My average speed is only 2-2.5 Mbps, which is pretty low. Does anyone have any tips on how to improve this?

I know that VPNs can affect speed, depending on the server location, encryption level, and protocol. I’ve read that some VPNs are faster than others12, so maybe I should switch to a different one. But I don’t want to compromise my security or privacy.

I also heard that SSL can reduce speed, because it adds another layer of encryption and verification. But I don’t want to disable it, because it protects my data from hackers and ISPs.

Is there a way to balance speed and security, without sacrificing either? I appreciate any advice or suggestions.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

Keep SSL, turn off VPN