Sabnzbd Icon on Ubuntu

Support for the Debian/Ubuntu package, created by JCFP.
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
exaveal

Sabnzbd Icon on Ubuntu

Post by exaveal »

Hey guys,

in earlier times I had a sabnzbd icon where I could add nzb files and open the webbrowser interface.
I have now a fresh ubuntu install with gnome and installed Sabnzbd - but no tray icon.
Same with fresh install XFCE.

How can I control Sabnzbd with at least the desktop icon?
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Re: Sabnzbd Icon on Ubuntu

Post by sander »

Ubuntu user here.

My experience with the tray icon is mysterious: sometimes it's there for a time, and then not there. Weird.

Advice: set SABnzbd to +Debug logging, stop SAB, start from command line, and look for lines with sabtraylinux and/or errors.

This is good:

Code: Select all

2024-01-14 22:01:41,449::DEBUG::[sabtraylinux:33] XApp found: <XAppProxyModule <IntrospectionModule 'XApp' from '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/girepository-1.0/XApp-1.0.typelib'>>
this is not good (only appears on stdout / stderr / console, not in sabnzbd.log)

Code: Select all

(sabnzbdplus:239768): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 22:22:40.378: gtk_widget_get_scale_factor: assertion 'GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed
exaveal

Post by exaveal »

Okay, I have the same on the Ubuntu (Gnome3, Wayland) machine.
As Sabnzbd seems to be THE usenet binary tool for linux: the maintenance seems really bad. Searching the web brings up a lot of questions regarding this problems, but never solutions.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

OK ... but did you follow my advice?

As they say: Meten is Weten
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

The problem is exactly due to the wide variety of display servers used by Linux that there's no 1 way of adding tray icon to all Linux systems. Very hard for us maintainer since everyone finds their own distro the most important one that should be supported.
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
jcfp
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by jcfp »

The standard way of displaying a tray icon on linux was removed by the gtk/gnome devs in their infinite wisdom, because "all functions tray icons provided can be replaced by notification popups". Except they cannot, and app developers ended up dealing with the fallout - such as users claiming projects are badly maintained when the icon doesn't show up on their desktop.

As noted by other sander the tray icon uses Xapp these days, so you need the gir1.2-xapp-1.0 package installed (which is a recommended dependency of the ubuntu package, so do check!), and the desktop environment of your choice must be able to display those. Some DEs do out of the box, some need plugins, some lack support. Not something we can fix.