Download speeds went from slow to slower

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
thelittleluca

Download speeds went from slow to slower

Post by thelittleluca »

Hey I'm new to this stuff like many of the people posting here. I'm going to try and provide as much relevant information as I can, but if I make mistakes please do not crucify me.

I am running SAB on my Windows 10 PC that I use as a media server. It really has nothing on it other than an antivirus, Plex, and my arr tools as well as SAB.

The other night when I started using SAB I was downloading files at 50MB/s which seemed slow to me but you can let me know, we pay for 1 gig service so 1000mbps.

Now nothing will download over 10-11 MB/s. When I run the 1GB test in SAB it downloads at 10-11MB/s

When I refresh the stats this is what it shows:
System performance (Pystone) 489109 Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz AVX2
Download folder speed 157.2 MB/s D:\Usenet\Incomplete
Complete folder speed 152.9 MB/s D:\Usenet\Complete\TV
Internet Bandwidth 10.5 MB/s 84 Mbps

Any advice would be really appreciated, I know it can be annoying when people come on here asking for help with stupid problems, but I really have been trying to exhaust all of my other resources before wasting anyones time.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Re: Download speeds went from slow to slower

Post by sander »

The other night when I started using SAB I was downloading files at 50MB/s which seemed slow to me but you can let me know, we pay for 1 gig service so 1000mbps.
https://sabnzbd.org/wiki/faq#:~:text=%2 ... MB/s%22%3F

Internet Bandwidth 10.5 MB/s 84 Mbps
Wifi or Wired?
If wifi: don't do that if you want high & reliable speeds.
If wired: looks like a Fast Ethernet connection. So network/cable/switch problem
thelittleluca

Post by thelittleluca »

I was reading another post about a guy going from switch to server, so I went out and directly connected my PC to the routerwhich is right next to it. It was previously connected to a switch connected to the router. My speeds have improved, but not by much. Here are the results:

System performance (Pystone) 476159 Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz AVX2
Download folder speed 159.5 MB/s D:\Usenet\Incomplete
Complete folder speed 147.7 MB/s D:\Usenet\Complete\TV
Internet Bandwidth 30.5 MB/s 244 Mbps
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

Internet Bandwidth 30.5 MB/s 244 Mbps
Better, but not 1000 Mbps. So:
Windows 10 PC
If so (and not the truenas you posted about earlier): what do you get on https://fast.com/
thelittleluca

Post by thelittleluca »

I completely gave up on the truenas server instance. Nothing I did was working and nobody was actually willing to help me with it so I just switched over to Windows.

fast.com is reporting as: 360 Mbps
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

I completely gave up on the truenas server instance. Nothing I did was working and nobody was actually willing to help me with it so I just switched over to Windows.
Clever decision. Also my experience in this forum and reddit: always problems with Truenas and Unraid, and never solutions.
fast.com is reporting as: 360 Mbps
Aha! Contact your ISP why you don't get 1000 Mbps, which you say is what you bought from them

As soon as fast.com reports 1000 Mbps, go back to SABnzbd and check the Wrench speed again. SABnzbd will then report 1000 Mbps, and will download at about 100 MB/s (bits versus bytes)
thelittleluca

Post by thelittleluca »

I just got off of the phone with my ISP, they said a couple of things.

One thing that made me really happy, and that I didn't know about, is that they don't track usage at all, nothing. You can do whatever you want with it. So they aren't throttling my connection because of my usage or anything which is something I was told can happen.

They also said they see no issues whatsoever on their side. He said he could see the full 1gig connection going to our address. He mentioned that QOS settings can mess things up. I have my QOS settings turned off so I don't think that's the issue.

Not sure. When I ran fast.com again I'm getting 800Mbps but I am not seeing that on Sab.
thelittleluca

Post by thelittleluca »

Something strange I notice:

My PC that I'm writing this reply on currently is showing 800Mbps on fast.com. This PC is wired to my wall, to the switch in the basement, to the router, to the Fiber.

The PC the server is running on is consistently showing 360Mbps on fast.com. Strange?
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

So you have two Windows PCs?
When I ran fast.com again I'm getting 800Mbps but I am not seeing that on Sab.
... but you get ... what?
thelittleluca

Post by thelittleluca »

Yes sorry, I thought I had made that clear. One windows PC is my desktop that I use regularly for gaming/school/work. The other PC is my old one that has been converted to the media server. So my everyday PC is getting 800-950 while my HTPC is getting exactly 360.

I'm also running into two issues that I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. When downloads reach 100% in sonarr about half of them are just stuck there. They just don't do anything. The second issue is that downloads that are completing are not moving to the completed folder.

When checking the logs I'm getting errors like this:

2024-01-31 08:18:02.0|Error|DownloadedEpisodesImportService|Import failed, path does not exist or is not accessible by Sonarr: D:\Usenet\Complete\TV\<showname>\Season 1. Ensure the path exists and the user running Sonarr has the correct permissions to access this file/folder

Now I really want to understand this I'm not just asking for answers here. If I am doing something fundamentally wrong, please educate me on how to do it better, if you're willing to spend a little extra time explaining it. I don't know if there are permission issues so I will provide as much information as I can as to not waste anyones time.

When looking at the security tab for both Sabnzbd and Sonarr I have:
System: Full Control
Administrators: Full Control
Users: Read & Execute, Read, Write

On only Sabnzbd I also have these two:
ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES: Read & Execute, Read
ALL RESTRICTED APPLICATION PACKAGES: Read & Execute, Read

On only Sonarr I also have:
Everyone: Full control

In Sab:
My Temp download folder is set to D:\Usenet\Incomplete
My completed download folder is set to D:\Usenet\Complete

I have two categories set up, one for movies and one for TV
D:\Usenet\Complete\Movies
D:\Usenet\Complete\TV

In Sonarr:
My Root folder is set to D:\Usenet\Incomplete
Last edited by thelittleluca on January 31st, 2024, 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

sander wrote: January 30th, 2024, 4:18 pm So you have two Windows PCs?
When I ran fast.com again I'm getting 800Mbps but I am not seeing that on Sab.
... but you get ... what?
I think you have not answered this question?
thelittleluca

Post by thelittleluca »

I am not sure if I understand the question. My every day PC is showing as 800Mbps. My HTPC...which is the one running Sab...is getting 360...

Sab is downloading at a rate of 11Mbps, if that is your question.
thelittleluca

Post by thelittleluca »

considering it is downloading, albeit slowly, I am more concerned about why files aren't going where they should be going at this point
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

thelittleluca wrote: January 31st, 2024, 12:34 pm

Sab is downloading at a rate of 11Mbps, if that is your question.
Mbps? I don't think so. See my first post: bits versus bytes.

We're talking in circles. So I can't help you any further.
thelittleluca

Post by thelittleluca »

You are correct, in my confusion from you repeating the same questions despite me having already answered them, and your inability to understand that I have already answered them even though you are directly responding to answers to the questions you are asking, I mistyped and put Mbps instead of MB.

Clearly you understand that this was a typo, and obviously with your experience, having been doing this since 2008, you knew exactly what I meant. So being rude, and speaking down to people is what causes these cyclical threads where nothing actually ever gets answered because an old guy who "knows it all" is grumpy and doesn't want to help people, despite being on a support forum.