SABnzbd and Split tunneling VPN

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
doejohnblowjoe

SABnzbd and Split tunneling VPN

Post by doejohnblowjoe »

Hi everyone, I just started using SABnzbd. I use split tunneling on my VPN so that my normal internet browsing can use VPN while everything else does not. I was able to get SAB to work but I have one issue; localhost doesn't direct to SAB on the browser I use for split tunneling. The localhost address of 127.0.0.1 works when the VPN is off (or if I use a browser excluded from the VPN). When the VPN is on, the address of SAB becomes 10.16.0.* (with * being one of several different numbers). I can figure out the address with ipconfig, but my favorites link and the "show interface" option don't work unless the VPN just happens to use the right address when it connects. I use both Sonarr and Prowlarr and both use localhost and the port number (not the IP address). They both work whether I use the VPN or not so I'm wondering why SAB doesn't work the same? Is there something I missing or is there another way to configure this?
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Re: SABnzbd and Split tunneling VPN

Post by safihre »

Unfortunately this is too advanced for me.. Maybe someone else will reply, otherwise maybe on Reddit r/usenet has more experts.
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
doejohnblowjoe

Post by doejohnblowjoe »

Okay thanks, I'll try that.
tonypags314

Post by tonypags314 »

You may not have a route after the VPN connects, even if you have split tunneling enabled. Try to ping the IP and if it tells you no route to host this means you just need to add a route after connecting the VPN. I'm assuming you're a windows user. In windows you can run `route print` from CMD before and after connecting to view changes to the routing table made by the VPN. Many VPNs default to forcing all connections thru the VPN tunnel interface. 127.0.0.1 is your main adapter's loopback address, but if there's no route telling the application stack to use that adapter you won't be able to connect to it. See this link: https:// woshub (dot) com / add-routes-after-connect-vpn-windows/
doejohnblowjoe

Post by doejohnblowjoe »

I forgot to mention I do have Windows 10 and the VPN does create a new route specifically for the browser. Before the VPN is connected. Sonarr, Prowlarr, and SAB all connect through 127.0.0.1 but once the VPN is connected, Sonarr, Prowlarr, and SAB all connect through 10.16.0.3 (it's 3 this time but it changes). Sonarr and Prowlarr show me the address as localhost:8989 and localhost:9696 respectively and clicking either favorite link takes me automatically to the web interface. SAB recognizes localhost:8080 (my favorite link) before I connect the VPN but it doesn't after I connect the VPN. However, it does update to 10.16.0.3 as well (3 this time) and I can access the web interface by punching in that address. For whatever reason Sonarr and Prolarr know to automatically switch localhost from 127.0.0.1 to 10.16.0.3 (or whatever address it changes to) whenever I enable the VPN, SAB does not.

As far as your suggestion, I did try route print before and after I enabled the VPN and a new gateway of 10.16.0.1 shows up after I enable the VPN. As far as pinging the IP, I'm not sure which IP you meant but I can ping 127.0.0.1 before I connect (not after) and 10.16.0.* after (not before) which seems to make sense. As far as setting up a static route after connecting the VPN, does that mean I can always have Sonarr, Prowlarr, & SAB connect with the same IP address... for example, the 10.16.0.3 that it connected to most recently?
doejohnblowjoe

Post by doejohnblowjoe »

I figured it out with the help of someone over at reddit. Changing the SAB host to ::, I was able to bypass the split tunneling on the browser since it only uses IPv4 and my localhost favorite address works when my VPN is connected now. Thanks for all of your help.