Too many connections to server [502 Too many connections.]

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
snaps

Too many connections to server [502 Too many connections.]

Post by snaps »

Hello,

Never had this issue before 4.2.2. Number of allowed connections are 60 and it is set at 60 in Config>Switches.

Unsure why this issue has suddenly arisen? Is there an issue with how SAB interprets the connections since the update? Anyone else with the issue?

I see people being advised to reduce the number of connections allocated in SAB - is this really the only solution? Like I say I never had this issue prior to 4.2.2.

Subject is copy/pasted directly from SAB minus the name of the server which is easynews.

Thanks
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Too many connections to server [502 Too many connections.]

Post by safihre »

Nothing changed, maybe just the way they count the timeouts.
In any case, I can get 100MB/s with just 20 connections... So do you really need 60?
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

If lowering the connections is unacceptable for you, go back to prior 4.2.2. And no, nothing has changed, so I doubt going back will change it. But ... let us know!

Reason to lower your connections:
* it should not matter for your speed: newsservers provide 5-10-15 MB/s per connection, so 50 connections should give 250 - 500 - 750 MB/s, so about 2000 - 4000 - 6000 Mbps. I dare to say that's probably more than your linespeed, so not a limit
* Root cause: there can be a hanging, non-responding connection, which SAB does not count as working connection, but your newsserver provider does.
* lower number is better for your system, as each connection takes CPU power.
* also: it is the total from all downloading clients, on your LAN or elsewhere. But I assume you're not doing that.

In general: less is more.
snaps

Post by snaps »

Thank you both for your replies, I will try to lower the connection count and see if that resolves it. Just weird that it only happens after the update.

Less would appear to be more in this instance, thanks for the info, much appreciated.