(Unofficial) Ubuntu repository for SABnzbd+

Support for the Debian/Ubuntu package, created by JCFP.
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Re: (Unofficial) Ubuntu repository for SABnzbd+

Post by sander »

And BTW: shouldn't we fork this to a separate thread, like "SABnzbd on python 2.6"?
Please don't send me unrequested PM's; the forum is the best way to communicate.
If someone helps you, please reply to that help.
f you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
jcfp
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by jcfp »

sander wrote:I would like to hear advice from others: is it clever to file a bug related to python-cheetah and python-yenc (not sabnzbd which is probably too remote)?
Worst case, the bug reports get closed as invalid. Probably best to create separate ones for each affected package.

Anyway, just uploaded a new revision for jaunty that eases restrictions on the python version to allow anything over 2.4. No guarantees it will install just yet - dependencies such as cheetah may still block things - or work properly. In case the program fails to enjoy python 2.6, you could edit the first line in /usr/bin/sabnzbdplus to point to "/usr/bin/python2.5" directly so it would run under 2.5 regardless.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

I've tried some brute force installation, but so far it's not something nice.

Code: Select all

wget http://nl.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/c/cheetah/python-cheetah_2.0.1-2_i386.deb
  wget http://nl.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/p/python-yenc/python-yenc_0.3+debian-2.deb
  sudo dpkg --ignore-depends=python  -i python-cheetah_2.0.1-2_i386.deb 
  sudo dpkg --ignore-depends=python  -i python-yenc_0.3+debian-2_i386.deb 
That seemed to work. However, after that, installing anything is impossible:

sander@jaunty:~$ sudo apt-get install par2
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
  python-cheetah: Depends: python (< 2.6) but 2.6.1-0ubuntu1 is to be installed
  python-yenc: Depends: python (< 2.6) but 2.6.1-0ubuntu1 is to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).
sander@jaunty:~$ par2
The program 'par2' is currently not installed.  You can install it by typing:
sudo apt-get install par2
bash: par2: command not found
sander@jaunty:~$
And that 'apt-get -f install' just wants to remove cheetah and yenc:

sander@jaunty:~$ sudo apt-get -f install
Building dependency tree       
Correcting dependencies... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  python-cheetah python-yenc
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 2 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
After this operation, 1229kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? n
Abort.
In other words: this method messes up the installation system. :-(
Please don't send me unrequested PM's; the forum is the best way to communicate.
f you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

I tried another method: let Ubuntu remove the conflicting cheetah and yenc, then install the other pacakages, then force install cheetah and yenc:

sudo apt-get -f install
sudo apt-get install python python-cherrypy python-elementtree  python-celementtree python-feedparser unrar unzip par2 python-openssl
sudo dpkg --ignore-depends=python  -i python-cheetah_2.0.1-2_i386.deb 
sudo dpkg --ignore-depends=python  -i python-yenc_0.3+debian-2_i386.deb 
After that, I changed the first line of SABnzbd.py to:

#!/usr/bin/python2.5 -OO
###  !/usr/bin/python -OO
After that I was able to run SABnzbd:

2009-03-01 12:34:51,455::INFO::All processes started
2009-03-01 12:34:51,481::INFO::_yenc module... found!
2009-03-01 12:34:51,482::INFO::celementtree module... found!
2009-03-01 12:34:51,482::INFO::par2 binary... found (/usr/bin/par2)
2009-03-01 12:34:51,483::INFO::unrar binary... found (/usr/bin/unrar)
2009-03-01 12:34:51,483::INFO::unzip binary... found (/usr/bin/unzip)
2009-03-01 12:34:51,484::INFO::nice binary... found (/usr/bin/nice)
2009-03-01 12:34:51,485::INFO::ionice binary... found (/usr/bin/ionice)
2009-03-01 12:34:51,485::INFO::pyOpenSSL... found (True)
2009-03-01 12:34:51,488::INFO::Web dir is /home/sander/SABnzbd-0.4.7/interfaces/Default
2009-03-01 12:34:51,507::INFO::Starting SABnzbd.py-0.4.7
Of course, package management is still messed up: ubuntu wants to remove cheetah and yenc.

shypike said "One problem is that Cheetah and yEnc need the C compiler, meaning we cannot just  patch and embed them.", so that means they can't be included in SABnzbd utils?
Last edited by sander on March 1st, 2009, 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
jcfp
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by jcfp »

Exactly, these contains "extensions", c-code that must be compiled against the specific python install on a system. Brute-forcing the cheetah and yenc installs will never work with python 2.6 for that reason, these packages were built before that was available and therefore simply cannot support 2.6.

Your only chance, other than waiting for ubuntu to update theirs, is to rebuild them yourself from sources on jaunty. In short, install devscripts, enable source repositories, apt-get build-dep , apt-get source , cd into the newly created dir , run debuild there. If it succeeds, the resulting debs will be in the parent dir. Still no guarantee they will work with 2.6 without changes to the packaging (in particular, certain python version may be blocked via debian/pyversions or XS-Python-Version var in debian/rules because the code is known not to work).
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

jcfp wrote:
sander wrote:I would like to hear advice from others: is it clever to file a bug related to python-cheetah and python-yenc (not sabnzbd which is probably too remote)?
Worst case, the bug reports get closed as invalid. Probably best to create separate ones for each affected package.
I've reported the python-cheetah bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/336192 titled "cannot install python-cheetah on Jaunty Alpha 5: unmet dependencies"

Let's see what happens.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

jcfp wrote: Exactly, these contains "extensions", c-code that must be compiled against the specific python install on a system. Brute-forcing the cheetah and yenc installs will never work with python 2.6 for that reason, these packages were built before that was available and therefore simply cannot support 2.6.

Your only chance, other than waiting for ubuntu to update theirs, is to rebuild them yourself from sources on jaunty. In short, install devscripts, enable source repositories, apt-get build-dep , apt-get source , cd into the newly created dir , run debuild there. If it succeeds, the resulting debs will be in the parent dir. Still no guarantee they will work with 2.6 without changes to the packaging (in particular, certain python version may be blocked via debian/pyversions or XS-Python-Version var in debian/rules because the code is known not to work).
As python2.5 is still available, can't we install / copy python-cheetah (for python 2.5) to a separate, non-system directory, and then import that directory into SABnzbd.py (using python2.5) with an absolute path?
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

I've report a bug on python-yenc with Ubuntu Jaunty Alpha 5 too.

See https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/336415 titled "cannot install python-yenc on Jaunty Alpha 5: unmet dependencies".

@jcfp: thanks for confirming the python-cheetah bug on launchpad.
razor1394

Post by razor1394 »

Seems to be working fine after latest update.

Thanks guys.

edit:

Maybe this is of some importance to you developers:
Ställer in sabnzbdplus (0.4.7-0ubuntu1~jcfp2~jaunty) ...
* Starting SABnzbd+ binary newsgrabber                                        /var/lib/python-support/python2.6/cherrypy/lib/cptools.py:3: DeprecationWarning: the md5 module is deprecated; use hashlib instead
  import md5
/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/cherrypy/filters/sessionfilter.py:33: DeprecationWarning: the sha module is deprecated; use the hashlib module instead
  import sha
                                                                        [ OK ]
Updating PPA url ...
Adding pubkey 4BB9F05F to apt keyring ...
OK

Hanterar utlösare för libc6 ...
ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
Hanterar utlösare för python-support ...
Last edited by razor1394 on March 2nd, 2009, 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

After today's update, I'm able to install-cheetah, but not (yet) python-yenc. See below.

sander@jaunty:~$ sudo apt-get install python-cheetah
Building dependency tree      
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  python-cheetah
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 198kB of archives.
After this operation, 1094kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://nl.archive.ubuntu.com jaunty/universe python-cheetah 2.0.1-2ubuntu1 [198kB]
Fetched 198kB in 0s (238kB/s)     
Selecting previously deselected package python-cheetah.
(Reading database ... 104719 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking python-cheetah (from .../python-cheetah_2.0.1-2ubuntu1_i386.deb) ...
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Setting up python-cheetah (2.0.1-2ubuntu1) ...

Processing triggers for python-support ...

sander@jaunty:~$ sudo apt-get install python-yenc
[sudo] password for sander:
Building dependency tree      
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
  python-yenc: Depends: python (< 2.6) but 2.6.1-0ubuntu2 is to be installed
E: Broken packages
Without python-yenc I'm able to start and use SABnzbd 0.4.7, but with a warning:

2009-03-02 19:14:52,361::INFO::_yenc module... NOT found!
Question: does SAB really need yenc? I was able to download a post that had "yEnc" in the title.
Last edited by sander on March 2nd, 2009, 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jcfp
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by jcfp »

Python-yenc update probably hasn't made it to the archives yet, expect it within 24 hours. It's faster than having hte same functionality as pure python code, but sabnzbd if necessary can live without it; that's why it is recommended and not a hard depend in the first place. That "DeprecationWarning" as posted by razor1394 is rooted in cherrypy's code, not sabnzbd.

Thanks for all the feedback, keep it coming especially with regard to the behaviour and performance of the program when running under python 2.6 on jaunty.
Usenet

Post by Usenet »

Sorry for a beginners question but how do I upgrade only SABnzbd and not my whole system?
I did:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
/etc/init.d/sabnzbdplus restart
And all seems working fine but I got 50Mb of all kinds of libs and to me seemingly irrelevant things upgraded.

Cheers and thanks for great work!
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

jcfp wrote: Python-yenc update probably hasn't made it to the archives yet, expect it within 24 hours.
Indeed: after today's update, I can install python-yenc, and thus SABnzbd / sabnzbdplus.

So the Ubuntu 9.04 package stuff is solved now. That's fast!

AFAIK the only remaining thing is the time-out / non-response after Save Changes (caused by python 2.6 or one of the packages). To me, that seems a minor bug: the workaround is just pressing the web browser's Reload-button a few seconds after pressing Save Changes.
Last edited by sander on March 3rd, 2009, 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jcfp
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by jcfp »

Usenet wrote:Sorry for a beginners question but how do I upgrade only SABnzbd and not my whole system? [...]And all seems working fine but I got 50Mb of all kinds of libs and to me seemingly irrelevant things upgraded.
Probably doable by not using 'apt-get upgrade', but instead just 'apt-get install '. Not recommended though, updates are hard enough to get approved and thus not very likely to be "irrelevant", especially the ones from Ubuntu's own repositories.
sander wrote:AFAIK the only remaining thing is the time-out / non-response after Save Changes (caused by python 2.6 or one of the packages). To me, that seems a minor bug: the workaround is just pressing the web browser's Reload-button a few seconds after pressing Save Changes.
That's caused by some code that is part of the sabnzbd releases not working with python 2.6, shutdown from the web interface also doesn't respond and probably a few more things. The latest version for jaunty has been patched to use python2.5 exclusively, avoiding any such issues.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

jcfp wrote: The latest version for jaunty has been patched to use python2.5 exclusively, avoiding any such issues.
So everything is solved now for Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty?
And "dare devils" can still try out SAB 0.4.x on python 2.6 by running the standard SABnzbd or by changing the first line of sabnzbdplus again.

Cool!